Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1343108 times)

0 Members and 194 Guests are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7350 on: May 03, 2010, 02:18:34 pm »

Today I'm gonna avoid doing much work, because I'm exhausted after a great weekend in New York.  I really wanted to hate Yankee Stadium, but it's actually kind of nice.

The only down side, of course, is that I missed Baco de Mayo.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7351 on: May 03, 2010, 06:25:35 pm »

yeah, I mean, a job is a job, but this woman (and her group) are all the kind of people who intentionally make sure they are under the poverty line, so they don't have to pay taxes that will go towards wars.

Yeah, working for the census helps make sure schools are in the right place and shit.  Her actions are definitely consistent- she probably just got a little worked up when you started asking her stuff, all trying to act big and bad?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7352 on: May 03, 2010, 07:16:54 pm »

she just spent our entire interview talking about how "the system" and "the grid" were created to separate people from each other and funnel money to those in power, and how she strives to separate herself from that as much as possible. no taxes, no electricity, no health insurance. this came when I asked about how their organization depends on grants to survive, she said that she hates that because it means they're interacting with The Grid and relying on The Grid's resources.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7353 on: May 03, 2010, 09:10:53 pm »

...how "the system" and "the grid" were created to separate people from each other and funnel money to those in power...
Its always amazing to me how much power and foreknowledge the kooks ascribe to The Government, or The Man, or The Illuminati or whatever.  A nice counter example is the (pre)existence of the MP3 vs the after-the-fact invention of DRMs like AAC, WMA or M4A/B/V.  If The Man knew the Sheeple would be stashing music on their computers and wanted to wring every drop of filthy lucre from us, how did He let the MP3 get invented first?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7354 on: May 03, 2010, 09:14:30 pm »

Its always amazing to me how much power and foreknowledge the kooks ascribe to The Government, or The Man, or The Illuminati or whatever.  A nice counter example is the (pre)existence of the MP3 vs the after-the-fact invention of DRMs like AAC, WMA or M4A/B/V.  If The Man knew the Sheeple would be stashing music on their computers and wanted to wring every drop of filthy lucre from us, how did He let the MP3 get invented first?

If an omniscient God knew we would sin, why would He give us free will?
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7355 on: May 03, 2010, 09:42:59 pm »

Quote from: Lazarus Long
“God split himself into a myriad parts that he might have friends.” This may not be true, but it sounds good--and is no sillier than any other theology.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7356 on: May 03, 2010, 09:57:06 pm »

The thing that always bugs me is the desire to say that these things were done as some sort of sinister plot. Like, yeah, the society we have funnels money in certain ways. This means that those in power have zero incentive to change the system. this does NOT mean that the current system is the result of some kind of sinister plot.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7357 on: May 03, 2010, 10:42:25 pm »

Its always amazing to me how much power and foreknowledge the kooks ascribe to The Government, or The Man, or The Illuminati or whatever. 

Yeah, and that The Government etc could keep all of it a secret. I wish I had that kind of faith in the competence of human organizations.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7358 on: May 03, 2010, 11:19:11 pm »

I mean, to be fair, there is precedent in human society for people planning things in pursuit of their goals.

especially considering most urban areas in the US are the result of certain paradigms of "urban planning." I mean, if you had wanted to create a horrible pit of poverty and community disintegration, St Louis would be a pretty good achievement.

although, as the man said, never attribute to malice what you can attribute to pure human stupidity.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7359 on: May 04, 2010, 04:09:41 pm »

reagarding Saving Private Ryan:

"Fact: The Omaha Beach scene cost $11 million to shoot and involved up to 1000 extras, some of whom were members of the Irish Army Reserve. Of those extras, 20-30 of them were amputees issued with prosthetic limbs to simulate soldiers having their limbs blown off."


genius.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7360 on: May 04, 2010, 07:34:40 pm »

yeah, my dad's uncle never told anyone what he did in WWII, but apparently he was in one of those units that was at every battle. he had several big-deal medals but never told anyone what they were for.

hell of horrible flashbacks late in life. what a horrifying thing our brain is.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7361 on: May 04, 2010, 08:17:10 pm »

yeah, my dad's uncle never told anyone what he did in WWII, but apparently he was in one of those units that was at every battle. he had several big-deal medals but never told anyone what they were for.

hell of horrible flashbacks late in life. what a horrifying thing our brain is.

Spouse's pop went ashore there on the first day as a medic. He and I had some talks about that near the end of his life. For him it was a thing you do, then very carefully wrap up and put away deep for sixty years.

Hell of respect for both these dudes.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7362 on: May 04, 2010, 10:19:37 pm »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7363 on: May 05, 2010, 08:58:44 pm »

my grandfather has facebook, and my mom is playing this competitive solitaire (??) game on there with him, and he posted on her wall (in spanish) "this is a fun little game." I do not know why this is so funny to me, but I keep looking back and it and laughing.

he also posts things in Spanish on my wall, which is weird because he knows that I do not speak Spanish.

also: Phillipe, what is the saddest thing?
I think we have a winner.

I find Pruitt-Igoe really compelling. i cannot stop reading about it instead of doing my work. they blew it up in the 70s and now it's just a big green area in the middle of North St Louis.

Lately for some reason I am kind of overwhelmed by this feeling that I live in a city that is a crime-ridden hell of crumbling buildings. It's like, the honeymoon is over, and suddenly I realize how depressing it is that almost everywhere I drive/walk I pass buildings that have been abandoned for decades. Not around where I live/go to school, though, so that's good. But a few blocks north...
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7364 on: May 06, 2010, 03:37:44 pm »

...writhe in aversion as I have to translate things like "Knights of darkness - wielding runes of death and destruction - bound by the will of the ____. . .  this is the hour of their ascension.  This is the hour. . . of your dark rebirth." Why oh why do these mmorpg characters have to talk like assholes? (And since I'm here, they dress like douchebags too)
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 878   Go Up