Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1341625 times)

0 Members and 213 Guests are viewing this topic.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7935 on: July 26, 2010, 02:47:12 am »

heineken

Shakes head slowly, unsmiling.
Logged

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7936 on: July 26, 2010, 06:26:49 am »

Today Whartscape ended and I am battered, bruised and feeling so awesome. Too many amazing moments to remember and write about.

Thursday was a video / performance art / speaker kinda thing at a local theatre that plays indie films. There was a stand-up comic who did a 30-min set about rape, a ventriloquist who got a well-earned standing ovation, a Sunny and Cher type act in a universe where Cher had been an eastern European whore enema queen and Sunny was forced to clean up after each performance but they escaped and now tell nonsensical yet weirdly disturbing jokes, a bemused Ian MacKeye trying to get people to ask questions not about Fugazi, the internet, and asshole straightedge culture plus some other indescribable acts.

Friday was some awesome outdoor music in the sweltering heat (LOVED Weekends, Art Department, Witch Hat and Get Em Mamis). Lots of beer and liquor plus a tragic bike ride. Warehouse party with more amazing music (Dusin Wong is way too good at playing the guitar). I crashed hard due to not eating dinner.

Saturday was my day with so much ridiculously good noise, hardcore and thrash. Rapdragons were true to their name, Amil Byleckie Band channeled David Bowie with their amazing costumes,  Child Bite was so good they made me buy several records and Double Dagger was great even though I really don't like their vocalist.
After this point it got insane. I jumped right into the pit during Ponytail and my phone got destroyed. Front and Center for Arab on Radar was ridiculous. Lightning bolt exceeded every expectation I had. Some fuck*ng asshole kept throwing lit cigarettes at the drummer but somehow he managed to keep his cool. I caught a broken drumstick that I may frame.

On to the warehouse party after that where Universal Order of Armageddon rocked harder than is legal. Those guys are way too good. I danced my ass off to Sick Weapons and then hung out with some awesome punk rock chicks and drank the last of my whiskey. Drunk bike ride home followed. My gf says I had moshing dreams that night and kept punching and kicking her all night. She is amazing and thought it was funny. Then she made peach-mango-CUNT smoothies for my brother and I in the morning which is the ultimate hangover cure.

I was feeling so beaten when I woke up but I had to persevere and see the final day. The first few bands were okay, and then Little Howlin' Wolf played a great set with some really good backup. Then the storm came and ripped away the tarps over both the stages. Everyone, whartscape volunteers and audience member alike scrambled to protect all the gear on both stages. Amazingly, within two hours of the storm hitting Dan Deacon somehow moved the festival to Sonar (a fairly large local club) where the bands continued playing until the fire department shut it down 'cause they let too many people in. Health got to play an intense set before that happened which made it all worth it. Warehouse part afterwards with the rest of the bands.

Fuck I'm tired. I am going to go sleep for a few days.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7937 on: July 26, 2010, 06:57:53 am »

I feel like you probably ran into my roommate and my best friend at this festival. they were telling me about how great it was all weekend.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7938 on: July 26, 2010, 02:56:20 pm »

...start a fight with a copyeditor over capitalizing "Dumpster."
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7939 on: July 26, 2010, 03:22:23 pm »

let that one go there wombles
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7940 on: July 26, 2010, 03:44:46 pm »

...start a fight with a copyeditor over capitalizing "Dumpster."

I'd stay away from Escalator while you're at it.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7941 on: July 26, 2010, 03:53:04 pm »

I'd stay away from Escalator while you're at it.
Or Kleenex.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7942 on: July 26, 2010, 04:01:02 pm »

Please tell me you're kidding about escalator.

Don't mess with me, people, I have an AP Stylebook around here somewhere and I know how to use it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7943 on: July 26, 2010, 04:01:27 pm »

I feel like you probably ran into my roommate and my best friend at this festival. they were telling me about how great it was all weekend.

I might have! I seriously can't believe how smoothly the entire event ran, considering it was staffed entirely by volunteers. There were absolutely no security incidents (except for kids sneaking in under the fence).

Also I just found a great picture of me during Arab on Radar.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7944 on: July 26, 2010, 04:21:21 pm »

my roommate is in one of those pictures!

i don't really know how to explain which one he is. "the really tall guy with messy hair" does not really narrow it down.

anyway, they have told me enough about it (what bands played) to make me kind of wish I'd gone to this instead of pitchfork.

the "kind of" is because:
1. pitchfork tickets were free
2. it was within a few hours drive
3. my gf lives in chicago.

but man, so many good bands.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7945 on: July 26, 2010, 04:31:03 pm »

Also I just found a great picture of me during Arab on Radar.
That's a pretty awesome photo.  Nice dynamic pose they caught you in.  I know you're tall, but are you also jumping?
You're happier about that pic than the guy behind you who looks like he's getting cornholed.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7946 on: July 26, 2010, 04:34:48 pm »

Please tell me you're kidding about escalator.

Don't mess with me, people, I have an AP Stylebook around here somewhere and I know how to use it.

Main Entry: 1es·ca·la·tor
Pronunciation: \ˈes-kə-ˌlā-tər, ÷-kyə-\
Function: noun
Etymology: from Escalator, a trademark
Date: 1900

1 a : a power-driven set of stairs arranged like an endless belt that ascend or descend continuously b : an upward course suggestive of an escalator <a never-stopping escalator of economic progress — D. W. Brogan>
2 : an escalator clause or provision
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7947 on: July 26, 2010, 06:50:15 pm »

You will note that that is merely the etymology, at this point. Otis lost the trademark in 1950, long before you or I had to worry about capitalizing it.

HA. Now someone give me a synonym for "dumpster."
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7948 on: July 26, 2010, 06:56:49 pm »

We call 'em BFI bins in Canada.  I'm thinking that wont help your cause though.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7949 on: July 26, 2010, 07:05:28 pm »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 878   Go Up