Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1341687 times)

0 Members and 215 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7950 on: July 26, 2010, 07:35:18 pm »

You will note that that is merely the etymology, at this point. Otis lost the trademark in 1950, long before you or I had to worry about capitalizing it.

HA. Now someone give me a synonym for "dumpster."

True. Bubble Wrap is still trademarked, though. The generic term is "air cellular cushioning." And the generic for Velcro is something like "hook and loop closure."

Trash-Co waste disposal unit?
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7951 on: July 26, 2010, 08:06:51 pm »

s'okay, Ash. My 5 year old keeps peeing off the side of our deck. Not just because he doesn't want to come inside to pee, mind you -- he will go OUT when he's already IN, take a whizzer, and then come back inside.

I don't know where he learned this. He's certainly never seen Pedro pee off the deck...I don't think...
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7952 on: July 26, 2010, 08:17:20 pm »

You don't need someone to teach you that peeing off of things is fun.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7953 on: July 26, 2010, 08:25:04 pm »

Any use of the word "dumpster" makes me think only of how the ineffective pitcher Ryan Dempster's nickname was "Cum Dumpster".

I would purge terrible thoughts like that if I could but they're stuck in there.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7954 on: July 26, 2010, 08:27:29 pm »

I have discovered that the Dumpster was patented by someone named Dempster. I am pleased to know this, but it doesn't solve my problem.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7955 on: July 26, 2010, 08:46:56 pm »

I have discovered that the Dumpster was patented by someone named Dempster. I am pleased to know this, but it doesn't solve my problem.

I remember them being referred to as Dempster Dumpsters back in the day.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7956 on: July 26, 2010, 08:47:10 pm »

An owl statue on the ridge board?  Dangly, shiny windchimes?  I set the latter up when a neighborhood jay got chippy with his morning reflection and he stopped stunning himself.  Don't know if owl statues work on swallows, but folks use them around here to discourage pigeons.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7957 on: July 26, 2010, 08:56:04 pm »

Oh, and Jaydub: I don't think I was jumping in that picture? I think it is just the angle. It does look like I'm 2 feet taller than the people behind me though.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7958 on: July 26, 2010, 09:37:26 pm »

I remember them being referred to as Dempster Dumpsters back in the day.

Indeed, however that trademark was not renewed.

Damn, I do not need to know this much about dumpsters.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7959 on: July 26, 2010, 10:56:22 pm »

holy fuck*ng hell, my sister is turning 15 this week.

What do you give a girl that age?

Pepper spray?

in the past I have been successful with:
1. gift she actually wants (clothing, makeup, etc)
2. CD of cool indie music that is what I imagine a 15-year-old who isn't my girlfriend at age 15 wants.

But I am bad at knowing what is "too weird." Things that I think are "boring indie pop" get called too weird, but then she loves things I think were pushing it. So.

I get this problem with a lot of people, and I think it has to do with paying a lot of attention to instrumentation when other people don't?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 11:09:38 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7960 on: July 27, 2010, 07:40:37 am »

I get this problem with a lot of people, and I think it has to do with paying a lot of attention to instrumentation when other people don't?

Hmm, maybe.  Like when I was a kid, I was very interested in reading the liner notes to see what each band member played.  Nowadays I listen to something and I just hope the synth plays a sound so weird that I die.
Logged
ACHIEVE

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7961 on: July 27, 2010, 02:53:55 pm »

What do you give a girl that age?

Pepper spray?
Canned

It seems that girls always want something about 3 years higher than is age appropriate.  Maybe you could check her Facebook page and see what gift-y things she's liked.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7962 on: July 27, 2010, 03:35:14 pm »

When I was fifteen, all I wanted for my birthday was for my mom to lay the hell off, already.

(And maybe some Doc Martens, or a new flannel shirt.)

So, I got nothin'.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7963 on: July 28, 2010, 01:19:24 am »

I'm writing a product description for a camcorder, and while researching the product, I found the amazon listing for same:

http://www.amazon.com/Snapbox-DV747PK-2-5-Inch-Leather-Like-Multifunctional/dp/B001RTS3QG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1280274622&sr=1-1

Anybody notice anything weird about it? Hint: check out the "Customers who bought related items also bought:" section.

Is it because it's pink?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7964 on: July 28, 2010, 01:22:20 am »

"Customers who bought related items also bought:" section.

dayum
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 878   Go Up