Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Supporting" bacon is easy. Who's going to get on the mayonnaise bandwagon with me?

Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1343076 times)

0 Members and 193 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8745 on: December 15, 2010, 02:06:25 pm »

.... wake up to A BROKEN FURNACE FOR THE SECOND TIME IN A WEEK.

So instead of sleeping in as planned, I have been on the phone for an hour, yelling that I don't care if they have a lot of calls, THIS is the call from the person whose furnace you are supposed to have ALREADY FIXED.

I do not ever want to be on Wombat's bad side.

Pedro's car started misfiring last week, so we towed it to our mechanic (who we trust and who has never tried to sell us unnecessary repairs).

They said, "Busted spark plug wire, $500. You also have some other problems (leaking somesuch fluid, an aging whoodickey belt, etc) that will need to be fixed in the next 6 months or your car is going to fall apart and die. Those will cost another $1000."

We said, "Fix the spark plug wire and get it running, and we'll start making plans to trade it in and get a new car after Christmas."

They called back a few hours later and said, "We fixed the spark plug wire, but it was still misfiring. Turns out it's ALSO this other thing, which will be ANOTHER $500. Do you want us to fix that?"

Us: "No. Do we still owe you $500 for the first thing?"

Them: "Yes."

Us: "FUCK."

So now we're out $500 and still don't have a driveable car. Pedro has been riding the bus home from work, which doubles his commute and is particularly inconvenient this week on account of the fact that it's BALLS COLD outside. (We have 2 cars, but I need mine on Tu/Wed/Thurs to drop off/pick up the kids to/from school/therapy.) And at some point in the near future, we've got to come up with either cash or a loan to get a new car.

Pedro has a co-worker who is selling his 2005ish Volvo as soon as he can get a brand-spankin' new 2011 model of whatever-the-hell, and Dude said he'd sell it to use for $3K if we can wait for an indeterminate period of time until his new car is ready. We're weighing our options, but that looks like the only way we're going to be able to get a decent car without taking out a loan.

<sigh>
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8746 on: December 15, 2010, 03:01:54 pm »

$500 for a spark plug wire?  Dang!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8747 on: December 15, 2010, 03:06:37 pm »

Fortunately at least I have forgotten how much money we are out and still don't have a working furnace. I need to remember to use the other checkbook when I pay him this time so I don't have to look at it. I am already angry enough.

Apparently the yelling did get me bumped up but the guy is on a call that was already confirmed the night before, like he was already at their house at 7 am. I guess this is reasonable. But I told them that if I ended up in a hotel tonight they were paying for it and she said "well for that you need to talk to a manager." Right. Thank you for confirming that if I yell enough you will pay for the hotel.

I just realized the really awful part of this is that I have no idea how they're going to replace the furnace if they need to. The people who owned the house before us made a finished room in the basement and left hardly any room to work around the furnace and water heater.  I wonder if they can even get the old one out. Do they make micro-miniaturized furnaces these days?

The bright side: At least this time if we have to stay in a hotel, we can drive to it, not like last time when there was two feet of snow and the Tech Staff was in Utah and I couldn't dig my car out.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8748 on: December 15, 2010, 07:37:19 pm »

Hang in there people. Be a diesel engine.
Loud and stinky?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8749 on: December 15, 2010, 07:44:15 pm »

$500 for a spark plug wire?  That's excessive.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8750 on: December 15, 2010, 10:46:25 pm »

Apparently they had to replace more than just the wire, because the faulty wire was connected to some other problem that was causing it to misfire...I don't know shit about cars, all I know is the have proven themselves to be honest in the past (e.g. we took it in b/c they check engine light was on and they said "We can fix this for you for 2K, or you could take it to a dealer and see if it's related to this recall you didn't know anything about and get it done for free).

Also, Pedro expressed his unhappiness at the fact that we owe them $500 and the car is in essentially the same non-driveable condition it was in when we took it to them, and the initial response from the mechanic was "I'll talk to [owner] and we'll work with you on this." I'm not sure what that means, but Pedro is certainly going to pursue it.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8751 on: December 15, 2010, 11:21:49 pm »

Crabcakes would be a great nickname for a lover who is incredibly attractive but perpetually grumpy.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8752 on: December 16, 2010, 12:46:38 am »

...wonder if Smick knows this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbfD9OKwqBs

That's a couple blocks from my house. Actually, if the guy had been on the other side of the street, you would have seen the apartment of a really good friend of mine (doesn't unicycle, may play bagpipes).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8753 on: December 16, 2010, 01:31:56 am »

Crabcakes would be a great nickname for a lover who is incredibly attractive but perpetually grumpy.

Pedro just got hisself a new nickname, and LFM just got hisself a new tiny can of DP.

That's Doctor Pepper, you sick bastards.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8754 on: December 16, 2010, 01:32:05 am »

Today I'm going to L.A. Suck on that, northeast freeze-a-thon.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8755 on: December 16, 2010, 01:54:39 am »

new tiny can of DP.

That's Doctor Pepper, you sick bastards.

Ha! Somehow that subject came up at a Christmas party I attended over the weekend. I don't mean Dr Pepper.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8756 on: December 16, 2010, 02:00:46 am »

Today I felt lucky to have found a good auto mechanic within walking distance of my office (bad ignition coil, as suspected).  It's very handy to not need rides anywhere.

Also tomorrow I begin my vacation that lasts until January.  Good times.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8757 on: December 16, 2010, 12:34:13 pm »

Pedro just got hisself a new nickname, and LFM just got hisself a new tiny can of DP.

That's Doctor Pepper, you sick bastards.

I was going to say that you can't fit that in a tiny can, but I suppose it all depends on who you spend time with.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8758 on: December 16, 2010, 09:59:02 pm »

Two girls, one can?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8759 on: December 17, 2010, 12:34:37 am »

two cans, one girl.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 878   Go Up