Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: 1 ... 600 601 [602] 603 604 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348724 times)

0 Members and 220 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9015 on: January 23, 2011, 11:03:17 pm »

I think KH had a reasonable point, even if backing it up with pop numbers was sort of contraindicated. It seems sort of like the olympics should go to more major (appearing) cities, NYC/LA, Barcelona, Buenos Aries, Tokyo, Mexico City, Shanghai, Seoul . . . Hell, Anchorage took a shot at getting them when I was younger.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9016 on: January 23, 2011, 11:32:11 pm »

Hey, if Atlanta was good enough for Futurama to visit, it's good enough for the damn Olympics.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9017 on: January 24, 2011, 12:59:28 am »

underground is city-owned and every new mayor tries to make it A Thing, and the only people that ever go there are visitors from out of town. it's juuuust about the lamest supposedly cool spot in georgia if not the states. and if the home of four pro sports teams; the world's biggest soft drink and technology companies, turner media, and the world's busiest airport* isn't a major enough city, then there are no more than ten other cities in the world that should ever qualify.

*always back and forth between ATL, ORD, and LHR
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9018 on: January 24, 2011, 02:12:07 am »

the traffic is already the worst in the country, all we need is millions more tourists trying to get around and it would be a complete meltdown.

Yeah, fuck that noise. It was bad enough here in Salt Lake. My car was towed once in large part because of the Olympics.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9019 on: January 24, 2011, 02:54:50 am »

I can't really hate on the ATL. I've only been to the airport, though. That's a pretty serious airport.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9020 on: January 24, 2011, 03:36:20 am »

underground is city-owned and every new mayor tries to make it A Thing, and the only people that ever go there are visitors from out of town. it's juuuust about the lamest supposedly cool spot in georgia if not the states.

Man, I was trying to help.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9021 on: January 24, 2011, 03:37:59 am »

Atlanta was part of a vacation trip I took with my family when I was a little kid.  I was fascinated by the "underground."  I saw a hurdy gurdy man with a monkey.  Is the Atlanta underground still a thing?

More importantly, does it include rude-talking cats and alive stuffed animals?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9022 on: January 24, 2011, 03:38:48 am »

underground is city-owned and every new mayor tries to make it A Thing, and the only people that ever go there are visitors from out of town. it's juuuust about the lamest supposedly cool spot in georgia if not the states.

But does it still have a hurdy gurdy man with a monkey?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9023 on: January 24, 2011, 03:54:41 am »

This whole underground diversion really disoriented me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9024 on: January 24, 2011, 10:02:01 am »

That's very misleading.  Perhaps that's the population of the actual city of Atlanta, but the SMSA, the metro area, is 5.8 million -- 9th in the US.  Denver is 22d with 2.5 million. 

Yeah, that's true, but also makes Atlanta an even worse place.  In fact, that is the exact reason why Atlanta shouldn't host the Olympics- no cool city has .5 mil people in it and 5 living outside of it.  Sorry, can't happen.

And, yeah, the Winter Olympics don't count.


Also, I used that number for every city, best I can tell.  Athens was a little hard- seems like it is the old city, the city proper and the metro area.  I used the second one, I am pretty sure.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 11:15:31 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9025 on: January 24, 2011, 02:04:44 pm »

Yeah, that's true, but also makes Atlanta an even worse place.  In fact, that is the exact reason why Atlanta shouldn't host the Olympics- no cool city has .5 mil people in it and 5 living outside of it.  Sorry, can't happen.


Thank you for enlightening me, O arbiter of cool.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9026 on: January 24, 2011, 02:44:48 pm »

Keith is tough but fair. Except he's unfair.

I've heard the old saw about the summer olympics being the thing and screw the winter olympics, and I have to say I can't see it. Winter has skiing and the skeleton and biathlon and all that shit. What does summer have? Basketball? I hate basketball, and besides we totally use ringers - how many pro players are on other teams? One each or something? Diving is pretty cool, but swimming and running and all that . . . underwhelming. Of course the real hammer is that winter has hockey, so the question is moot.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9027 on: January 24, 2011, 02:55:49 pm »

Speaking of major televised sporting events of questionable value, today I'm gonna realize that my birthday falls on Super Bowl Sunday again. Fuck you, Football. I hate you even more every time this happens.

Now to answer the eternal (every sixth year) question: do I make my spouse miss the big game, the parties (one of which is usually hosted by his father), the excitement, and, of course, the commercials? Or do I agree to celebrate the night before and spend my birthday looking after all the kids in attendance wherever we are because I'm the only one who doesn't give a crap about any of it?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9028 on: January 24, 2011, 03:13:27 pm »

You should just celebrate your birthday on a different day. If George Washington and all those guys can move their birthdays just to get a three day weekend, I think all Americans have the same right.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9029 on: January 24, 2011, 03:37:34 pm »

Speaking of major televised sporting events of questionable value, today I'm gonna realize that my birthday falls on Super Bowl Sunday again.

I was born the day of Super Bowl IV, and I take advantage of that by declaring Super Bowl Sunday to be my alternate birthday.  I will turn XLI this year.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 ... 600 601 [602] 603 604 ... 878   Go Up