You can't compare the Super Bowl to a Yarn show. That's an apples to extremely boring oranges comparison. Your birthday falling on Super Bowl Sunday is more akin to having your birthday fall on Christmas day and thus deciding not to celebrate Christmas.
Wow, hyperbole much? And for that matter, judgmental much?
I guarantee you that I find football every bit as boring and distasteful as you would find a crafts fair. The difference being, of course, that I have watched (or tried to watch) at least a dozen football games in my adult life, which I'd guess outpaces the number of crafts fairs you've attended by a significant distance.
That doesn't make your interest in football any less valid. But just because you don't think knitting is awesome doesn't make yarn intrinsically boring. And football, I hate to break it to you, is not intrinsically interesting. I'll remind you that my opinion of American gridiron ("who cares?") is the prevailing opinion of most of the world outside North America. Furthermore, it is NOT a national holiday like Christmas. Nobody gets the whole week off for the Super Bowl. Who's comparing apples to oranges now?
If my birthday fell on the release day for
Tron: Legacy, I'd have happily attended a screening (even if it's not my first choice of birthday activity) because it was important to Adrian. But the super bowl is
not important to him, he
offered to skip it and do something else, I don't see why this idea is so offensive to you.
I love you, Paul, but you are so very wrong on this that if you were my boyfriend and this came up as an issue between us, I would break up with you.