Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349752 times)

0 Members and 148 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9075 on: January 26, 2011, 04:02:04 am »

CONGRATULATIONS SMICK

YOU ROCK

PLEASE DON'T HURT MEEEEE
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9076 on: January 26, 2011, 04:05:06 am »

Smick gets a tiny can of Diet Dr Pepper for the rocking BMI.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9077 on: January 26, 2011, 04:15:16 am »

...get a paper copy of a catalog from Think Geek in the mail. Doesn't this seem wrong?

They must've had some mess up. Because I always check the "no paper catalog" box whenever I order something or enter a contest with them and today I got one also.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9078 on: January 26, 2011, 04:19:10 am »

Smick gets a tiny can of Diet Dr Pepper for the rocking BMI.

From me as well. That rocks.  I'd have to lose about 25 more pounds for that.  It could happen.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9079 on: January 26, 2011, 04:29:11 am »

I have never done my taxes. I guess I will have to do them soon. It can't be that hard, right? no loans, no credit cards, no dependents, only a tiny amount of income.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9080 on: January 26, 2011, 04:32:31 am »

I have never done my taxes. I guess I will have to do them soon. It can't be that hard, right? no loans, no credit cards, no dependents, only a tiny amount of income.

If you go to IRS.gov there are links to lots of free tax services. With low income you should qualify for most if not all of them. Until this year I've always used H&R Block's free-file and if I hadn't bought a house I would have again.

But some of them will only offer the free version if you follow think from IRS.gov so start there.

Or you can do it on paper, I guess.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9081 on: January 26, 2011, 04:34:07 am »

My advice: e-file, and do it early. You will get your refund much, much, much faster.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9082 on: January 26, 2011, 06:13:22 am »

Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9083 on: January 26, 2011, 01:34:40 pm »

If you go to IRS.gov there are links to lots of free tax services. With low income you should qualify for most if not all of them. Until this year I've always used H&R Block's free-file and if I hadn't bought a house I would have again.

But some of them will only offer the free version if you follow think from IRS.gov so start there.

Or you can do it on paper, I guess.

Have things gotten much more complicated since I was young? When I was in Inev's position I could do my own tax return in like five minutes, there was definitely no need for a tax service, free or otherwise. And this is definitely not because I am clever with numbers, because I am not.

Now it's so complicated that the Tech Staff does it all and I just sign because my ears start buzzing when he tries to explain it. Really, god knows what he could be doing. Good thing I don't ever want to run for office or anything.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9084 on: January 26, 2011, 02:11:07 pm »

I enjoy doing my own taxes and always used pencil and paper until I started freelancing in 2008. I still basically do it myself, with my BFF's help and software to help me do the math.

But it's totally worth it to get the software even if your finances are simple because it's the only way you can prepare it yourself and still e-file (especially if you know someone who has it and can split the cost -- you can file up to 4 returns per license I think). As I mentioned, e-filing gets you a refund weeks and weeks sooner -- last year we e-filed our federal around the beginning of March and the funds were direct-deposited three weeks later. (Our state return was a different story -- I balked at the $20 filing fee and we ended up having to wait 'til July or something obscene -- the state had to add interest to our check because it was so late.)
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9085 on: January 26, 2011, 03:47:57 pm »

returns? you lucky homeowning so-and-so's, i haven't gotten money back since i was in college
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9086 on: January 26, 2011, 04:07:18 pm »

My two oldest brothers jury-rig it with deductions and additional payments and suchlike so they are balanced (more or less) at the end of the year. Financially, that's the wisest thing to do, but I don't have the time, inclination, or interest in looking into it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9087 on: January 26, 2011, 04:29:41 pm »

if one can make it so that they have a zero balance, i think that is optimal.  the less one has to deal with the gov't and money, the better.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9088 on: January 26, 2011, 05:12:15 pm »

Especially since they demand interest from you if you owe them but seem reluctant to pay you interest if they owe you.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9089 on: January 26, 2011, 05:40:28 pm »

Have things gotten much more complicated since I was young? When I was in Inev's position I could do my own tax return in like five minutes, there was definitely no need for a tax service, free or otherwise. And this is definitely not because I am clever with numbers, because I am not.

You can still do that, but if you use one of the free-file services that allows you to e-file and have your refund direct-deposited quickly like JL said, but without the need of finding a friend with a Turbo Tax &c license. Until this year my taxes have never taken more than 20 minutes, and most of that was H&R Block asking things like "are you sure you don't have any kids?" or "are you sure you don't want to pay $29.99 for the full version?" But now that I bought a place I think I have to itemize which I can't do until 2/15 even if I wanted to.

Especially since they demand interest from you if you owe them but seem reluctant to pay you interest if they owe you.

I've heard you can actually get in trouble for having too large of a refund. Like if you're entitled to 4 deductions on your paycheck but take 0 and thus get back like $20,000 in April. Supposedly the IRS can fine you for that.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 878   Go Up