Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1350300 times)

0 Members and 187 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9135 on: February 07, 2011, 06:25:34 pm »

Yeah, I think task #1 will be writing down all the things I'd like to accomplish in the next month so I have a pool of ideas to draw from.

One nice thing is that I'll actually be able to take showers/baths in the morning instead of at night. I can't leave my daughter alone long enough to wash my hair -- I understand that other parents are able to do this with their 3 year olds, but mine really cannot be trusted -- so I have to either wait 'til Pedro gets home from work (which cuts into our family time) or let her get in the tub with me (which is not as much fun as it sounds). And in a week or two, when she starts taking the bus, I'll have about 45 minutes every morning (well, M - Th) to work out, take a shower, and dress myself without interruption. I haven't been able to do all those things in succession for six years.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9136 on: February 07, 2011, 07:47:33 pm »

OMG. That is why I had a puppy instead of a baby. Not only is the "constant supervision" period a lot shorter, you can put it in a cage and go out for a few hours and no one will call the county.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9137 on: February 07, 2011, 07:54:57 pm »

Yeah, but a pug won't eventually grow into a being capable of unloading the dishwasher or mowing the lawn.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9138 on: February 07, 2011, 08:11:22 pm »

Yeah, but a pug won't eventually grow into a being capable of unloading the dishwasher or mowing the lawn.

Capable yes.  Willing no.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9139 on: February 07, 2011, 08:33:52 pm »

It's a tradeoff, for sure.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9140 on: February 07, 2011, 08:42:05 pm »

My parenting goals:

1) Both offspring survive to adulthood

2) Instill in them sufficient affection that, when the time comes, they pick out a nice retirement home for me.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9141 on: February 07, 2011, 09:03:26 pm »

Yeah, but a pug won't eventually grow into a being capable of unloading the dishwasher or mowing the lawn.

A pug also won't wreck the car* or have wedding/college bills.



*probably
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9142 on: February 07, 2011, 09:20:23 pm »

I'm not saying pets don't have advantages over kids -- significant ones, at that. I'm just saying...kids have some payoff, eventually.

Most of the time.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9143 on: February 08, 2011, 12:06:25 am »

How does a parent fool themselves into facing one more fuck*ng day?

Some thoughts on that.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9144 on: February 08, 2011, 12:25:41 am »

I have a long thing I could post here, but instead I will just say that recently, I realized that my kids have taught me the value of not knowing things. It's not essential to anyone's existence, or even happiness, but it's a thing that would never have occurred to me if it weren't for my babies.

I believe that one should not have kids unless one feels a deep and inexplicable need to do so -- I know too many people who are parents by accident or because "it seemed like the next step" -- but I would argue (and I know you parents on the board will agree, in your more serious moments) that they do add a lot to your life beyond the cuteness factor when they're young. It's not really about being happy, so much as it is about getting the chance to look at life in a different way.

I guess that's why so many people who don't have kids travel extensively, or have really interesting hobbies, or do a lot of volunteer/charity work. They're all (equally valid) different paths to the same goal: being part of something bigger than yourself.

Too bad a lot of people with kids think that people who chose not to have any are self-centered child-haters. Dunno if you non-parents know this, (though how could you not?) but a lot of breeders view the child-free with equal doses of pity and scorn.

Sorry, we can go back to talking about how kids are aggravating balls of noise, laziness, and disease.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9145 on: February 08, 2011, 12:37:25 am »

but a lot of breeders view the child-free with equal doses of pity and scorn.

Oh, don't worry, it goes both ways. I figure that on both sides it's the subset that is worried they made the wrong decision.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9146 on: February 08, 2011, 12:50:56 am »

Too bad a lot of people with kids think that people who chose not to have any are self-centered child-haters. Dunno if you non-parents know this, (though how could you not?) but a lot of breeders view the child-free with equal doses of pity and scorn.

Of course we do. And whatever, I don't hate kids but I'm definitely self-centered so they have me on one point. I also think that having kids is at least partly a self-centered act so I don't take that attitude too seriously. I don't mean to say that good parenting doesn't require selflessness, of course, and hooray for the good parents out there (as most of you parents on the board obviously are).
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9147 on: February 08, 2011, 12:58:42 am »

Oh, don't worry, it goes both ways. I figure that on both sides it's the subset that is worried they made the wrong decision.


True, true. There's a healthy contingent of people who need everyone else to validate their choices by making the same ones.

We call them, "Republicans."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9148 on: February 08, 2011, 02:33:22 am »

Oh, don't worry, it goes both ways. I figure that on both sides it's the subset that is worried they made the wrong decision.

that's an insight i could have used the first time my wife and i were harangued for not wanting children.

and J: zing!
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9149 on: February 08, 2011, 05:24:26 am »

Marriage, kids and all that stuff have always seemed to be something that should be so important that there's no mental debate, you just do it because you have to. That's my rationalisation for not doing any of that yet, anyway.

Of course show me the real life choice that doesn't involve any fear/hesitancy/screaming and well, I'll call you a liar. But hey, here's hoping for some day.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 878   Go Up