Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1343982 times)

0 Members and 184 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9285 on: March 08, 2011, 08:21:27 pm »

Zucchini?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9286 on: March 08, 2011, 08:27:10 pm »

Lettuce and other leafy greens are indeed very easy, and growing them from seeds is not tough at all.  Just check the seed packet for how deep you're supposed to plant them, and the seeds will do the rest.  Being able to go out back and cut yourself a super-fresh salad is a wonderful thing.

I have been working in the yard on the weekends to clear up the seven bazillion tree branches that fell down this winter.  I should probably be thinking about turning my planting beds and getting early seeds going, but just haven't gotten into it yet.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9287 on: March 08, 2011, 08:31:47 pm »

I am so intensely not a fan of people making any sort of comment about:
1. what they are doing in the bathroom
2. what they just did in the bathroom I am about to enter
3. what I just did in the bathroom
4. how long I spent in the bathroom
etc.

I am really paranoid that at work they are going to tell me I take too many bathroom breaks (I go through a few refills of my water bottle every day due to boredom/over-heated store). I thought I was being crazy, and then today I heard that they are making us sign our name on a little board when we take a restroom break. WTF.


Today I went to meet with this guy who works at the Saint Louis Community Development Agency. The plan was to talk to him for 15-30 minutes about his career, what he does, his background, etc.
5 hours later, here I am. We drove all over the south half of the city looking at properties they're developing, areas where he did projects in the past, etc. Then we picked up gumbo and jumbalaya for their Fat Tuesday potluck. Then we ate. Then he introduced me to every single person in the office and told me about what they do. Then we went to an open house for a half-million dollar house. It was incredibly gorgeous and I am in love with it. Aug, it was in Compton Heights (right north of where I live/your parents-in-law live, I think). Apparently it was a SLU frat house for years, but they tore the hell out of it and redid the whole inside with historically accurate details... beautiful.
During lunch they suggested a few organizations I should apply at. It seemed like there were two career paths represented by the people I talked to:
1. I did a bunch of random crap and somehow got offered this job
2. I got a master's degree in social work, and it was a huge waste of money, and now I have this job.
I almost got introduced to an alderman, I guess that would have been cool. The guy I was tailing seems to know everyone important in STL, and the story behind every cool building.

Success! It is funny how I was worried about ironing my shirt perfectly, when I ended up tromping through muddy construction sites, spilling jumbalaya juice all over myself, etc.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9288 on: March 08, 2011, 08:39:56 pm »

Aug, it was in Compton Heights (right north of where I live/your parents-in-law live, I think).

Wife's brother and his family, actually. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9289 on: March 08, 2011, 09:48:08 pm »

1. I did a bunch of random crap and somehow got offered this job

I think it's time for me to find a job like that. I'll let you know how it goes.

So I guess the whole "informational interview" thing really does happen sometimes. I guess it was just me...
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9290 on: March 09, 2011, 04:05:40 am »

PAUL, did you hear that PAUL?

Heresy
I know... I know... *sigh*

Also, you get a can for the Cool Hand Luke Reference.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9291 on: March 09, 2011, 04:50:19 am »

I periodically hit that at work: "Steppin' outa line here, boss!"
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9292 on: March 09, 2011, 11:02:18 pm »

At my office one of the guys in legal knows everybody's name and will always say hello, even if you encounter him in the bathroom. Oh, and despite being over 6' tall he always uses the kiddie urinal. Weird.

For Oatmeal fans one of the comics in the book is How to Pee Like a Champ. My favorite panel is "Groan loudly while you pee. This is a way of complimenting your c*ck for doing such a magnificent job."
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9293 on: March 10, 2011, 03:07:19 am »

... despite being over 6' tall he always uses the kiddie urinal. Weird.

Maybe there is some proportionality involved?
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9294 on: March 10, 2011, 03:42:29 pm »

Maybe there is some proportionality involved?

This river is cold!

And deep!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9295 on: March 10, 2011, 04:25:07 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9296 on: March 12, 2011, 12:02:06 am »

damn it.

a local family just lost 7 kids in a house fire and the WBC is going to hold a protest at the funeral tomorrow.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9297 on: March 12, 2011, 02:50:09 am »

OK, that is plain distasteful but what does the World Boxing Council have against them?

westboro baptist church
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9298 on: March 12, 2011, 09:05:23 pm »

... receive word that my friend was last seen in Sendai and has not been heard from since. I'm going to roll with the theory that he just doesnt have power or cell reception.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 09:08:39 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9299 on: March 12, 2011, 11:42:09 pm »

That is a very plausible theory. Good luck.

Today I'm gonna buy an HD TV. Either I'm doing my part to keep the economy going, or I figure that if I'm going to watch the world end it might as well look pretty.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 878   Go Up