Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349092 times)

0 Members and 203 Guests are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9495 on: April 12, 2011, 03:23:48 am »

Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9496 on: April 12, 2011, 04:12:02 pm »

damnit. Got offered a one-day-a-week tour guide position at my favorite local brewery, but I am rapidly realizing there is no way I can make it work with my schedule.

I mean, I guess I don't even know what I would get paid. But it would make my beer consumption so, so, so much cheaper.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9497 on: April 12, 2011, 04:18:49 pm »

Are you positive you can't make it work? They did just offer to promote you, right? They think you are valuable, perhaps you can work something out as far as schedule.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9498 on: April 12, 2011, 04:47:37 pm »

"hey boss i can't work thursdays any more. got me a regular appointment, don't ask."
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9499 on: April 12, 2011, 04:52:55 pm »

I think I can get every saturday off from now on, if I explain that it is for a part-time job. There are plenty of people who have class on certain days, have to watch their kids certain days, or whatever. The main problem is that i need to do training at the brewery for a few weekend days over the next 3 weeks, and this is really not enough notice to request those days off, other than the last weekend of the month.
Also, my parents are coming Easter weekend, so I can't do it that weekend.

I just need to talk to my boss at the grocery store and try to finagle something. We'll see.

Today, I have the day off. I am going to walk to Church's Chicken to try their new Chik-Fil-A-style sandwich, then go to a coffee shop and apply to real, full-time jobs. Or possibly internships.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9500 on: April 12, 2011, 05:00:17 pm »

man don't tell your boss you're getting another job, just tell him to cut down on your hours and don't schedule you saturdays. like wombat just said, if they want to promote you, they value you, which gives you some leverage here. don't be like i was in my early 20s, all afraid to negotiate and burying shirts in the yard
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9501 on: April 12, 2011, 05:05:16 pm »

the problem is that my store's premise is that everyone works 40 hours and gets benefits, I think it is a union thing. If i wanted to work fewer than 40 hours a week I would have to transfer to a different, shittier store. And lose my benefits.

They did not want to promote me. A lady was moved to a different department, and the person they chose to replace her was a really stupid choice. The woman who was moving told me she thinks they should have picked me instead, and said that I should express interest in that position for the next time it opens up. It wouldn't be more money or anything, just more responsibility. It would probably be something i would enjoy doing more than being a cashier,, but I like my "get a better job" plan better.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9502 on: April 12, 2011, 05:26:04 pm »

I just need to talk to my boss at the grocery store and try to finagle something.

Yes. At least ask. Don't be like Choop.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9503 on: April 12, 2011, 09:23:47 pm »

Applied to a cool job, met a local political celebrity. yeah!

This guy I met got elected Alderman as an independent, and that is a pretty big deal. Cool. Seems like a nice guy, I felt kind of bad because I gave him a thumbs up and said "congratulations" and I think he felt like he needed to make conversation to seem friendly.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9504 on: April 12, 2011, 11:21:31 pm »

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9505 on: April 12, 2011, 11:44:10 pm »

Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9506 on: April 12, 2011, 11:49:41 pm »

Ooo, does she really mean you? I always wondered if anyone in that kind of ad ever actually saw the ad that was meant for them. It seems so improbable.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9507 on: April 12, 2011, 11:57:49 pm »

yep, there is no other person who that could possibly be.

my friends love Missed Connections and check it constantly, so it was pretty likely I would see this. Still, AWESOME.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9508 on: April 13, 2011, 01:12:08 am »

The first thing that jumps to mind is that your friends are jerking you around.  I do believe in romance, but not on Craigslist.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9509 on: April 13, 2011, 01:15:28 am »

Inev, don't listen to smells, even though she is probably right. Enjoy thinking things are wonderful and life is grand now, before you get to be like the rest of us, with our shriveled, blackened, cynical hearts.

Because once you go black...

Oh, never mind.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 878   Go Up