Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348839 times)

0 Members and 224 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9570 on: April 24, 2011, 02:18:59 pm »

Today I'm gonna be so tired due to stupidity.  As hydro was working we'd have occasional short bursts of power that caused our hardwired fire alarms to briefly go off.  Not pleasant.  Power was out from 6pm to 2am. 

Nice to know I live in the kind of neighbourhood where kids throw eavestroughing at power lines, you know, just for fun.  Isn't that basic safty 101?  Damn.

We had just gone grocery shopping, and now I'm hoping nothing spoiled in the fridge or freezer.  We only opened the fridge once, very briefly, and didn't touch the freezer, which was nice and full, so I'm thinking maybe we'll be okay.

Oh yeah, and the liquor mart was closed due to this yesterday and all day today due to Easter, so no wine for Easter dinner this year.  Sigh.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 07:43:48 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9571 on: April 24, 2011, 02:34:06 pm »

What the hell is eavestroughing?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9572 on: April 24, 2011, 07:52:58 pm »

I had no idea what people would call eavestroughing if it wasn't called eavestroughing.  Isn't that interesting.  I'm sort of weirded out because googling seems to imply some people call eavestroughing "gutter" or "rain gutter," which is what we call the part of the side of the road along the curb that is slightly lower to drain the rain off into the sewer system. So, is the gutter called something else also?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9573 on: April 24, 2011, 07:59:00 pm »

googling seems to imply some people call eavestroughing "gutter" or "rain gutter," which is what we call the part of the side of the road along the curb that is slightly lower to drain the rain off into the sewer system. So, is the gutter called something else also?

yeah, that word applies to both of those things in America.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9574 on: April 24, 2011, 08:00:06 pm »

I had no idea what people would call eavestroughing if it wasn't called eavestroughing.  Isn't that interesting.  I'm sort of weirded out because googling seems to imply some people call eavestroughing "gutter" or "rain gutter," which is what we call the part of the side of the road along the curb that is slightly lower to drain the rain off into the sewer system. So, is the gutter called something else also?

We call them both the "gutter," but the kind on the house is called a "gutter" mainly by laymen. Building contractors would know what you were talking about if you said "eavestrough" and sometimes call it that themselves.

My dad alternates freely between the two, depending on his audience.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9575 on: April 24, 2011, 08:06:23 pm »

Chalk me up for not knowing, and my wife neither.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9576 on: April 24, 2011, 08:09:06 pm »

Oh, also, I went to the ER last night because of severe abdominal pain. We called the doc on call at our primary care and she said we should go to the hospital because she couldn't tell over the phone whether it was serious or not. Not wanting to take any chances, we called my Mom over and she dozen on the couch while we went. (The kids were already asleep.)

Turns out I was pretty dehydrated and full of gas. I got two bags of IV fluids, some anti-nausea meds, and something for the pain. Feeling semi-normal today; still taking it easy, but kind of feeling stupid for making my mom and spouse stay up all night for something that would have resolved on its own if I'd been tough enough to handle the pain.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9577 on: April 24, 2011, 09:02:41 pm »

I remember when my uncle went to the hospital for chest pain and it turned out to be acid reflux. It's better to know. Safe than sorry, etc.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9578 on: April 24, 2011, 09:10:14 pm »

We call them both the "gutter," but the kind on the house is called a "gutter" mainly by laymen. Building contractors would know what you were talking about if you said "eavestrough" and sometimes call it that themselves.

That sounds like a made up word that contractors use to make what they do sound more technical.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9579 on: April 24, 2011, 09:22:50 pm »

Eaves = overhanging portions of a roof
Trough = shallow ridge to divert liquid

Not all that made up, really. WTF is a "gutter," anyway? What is it "gutting?"

Also, today I'm gonna be asked, within seconds of telling a client that I've been really ill and went to the ER last night, to write a product description. By 6 PM. On Easter Sunday.

He's paying double, and if he texts me one more time before I'm done, I might "accidentally" refer to this double-projection alarm clock as a "DP Cock."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9580 on: April 25, 2011, 12:16:39 am »

Quote
That sounds like a made up word that contractors use to make what they do sound more technical.

yeah, what a bunch of snobs.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9581 on: April 25, 2011, 12:18:55 am »

I left my razor at my parents. Time to see if my emergency backup will even take a charge. I haven't used it in about 3 years so hopes are not high.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9582 on: April 25, 2011, 12:26:35 am »

Building contractors would know what you were talking about if you said "eavestrough" and sometimes call it that themselves.


Not around here.  I've worked around the construction industry off and on for 30 years and I'd never heard it before today.

Cool word.  I like it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9583 on: April 25, 2011, 01:19:48 am »

He's paying double, and if he texts me one more time before I'm done, I might "accidentally" refer to this double-projection alarm clock as a "DP Cock."

There's a sandwich chain 'round these parts called DP Cheesesteaks.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9584 on: April 25, 2011, 03:16:48 am »

I've never spoken to a contractor in my life, the term is used everywhere here.  I guess the newspaper article using it points to the fact it's common parlance at least in Manitoba.  Check out the Wiki on Canadian English where "eavestroughs" are listed in the "daily life" section.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 878   Go Up