Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348139 times)

0 Members and 195 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9615 on: April 29, 2011, 06:38:59 am »

I feel like I have a disease where all I want to do is read about how awesome St Louis used to be, and feel sad about it. I'm reading a book about the history of the city leading up to the Civil War and it is pretty depressing.

I just figured out that once I drove past the site where the house from Meet Me In St Louis was, before it was demolished. It is weird how almost every house in the city seems to be from that era (around the 1904 World's Fair). The population then was 575k, now it is 320k.

Also: looking at the map of where the streetcar lines used to be. God damnit.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9616 on: April 29, 2011, 07:41:47 am »

I've always wanted to end a story with a character magically raising the Red Line back out of the earth of Los Angeles, whole and true again, like Moses parting the Red Sea. But BETTER.

Sort of a Prospero's last spell thing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9617 on: April 29, 2011, 08:02:41 am »

That will be the best day for you ever.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9618 on: April 29, 2011, 08:45:10 am »

You would absolutely have to quit around sunset, you know.

Just RIDE OFF into that shit!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9619 on: April 29, 2011, 10:54:28 am »

I feel like I have a disease where all I want to do is read about how awesome St Louis used to be, and feel sad about it.

Does St Louis have all those blogs like NYC does, where people are keeping track of the awesome things that are being destroyed right now?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9620 on: April 29, 2011, 01:49:58 pm »

I just figured out that once I drove past the site where the house from Meet Me In St Louis was, before it was demolished.


Isn't that pretty close to you, like just off of Grand somewhere?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9621 on: April 29, 2011, 02:35:57 pm »

Does St Louis have all those blogs like NYC does, where people are keeping track of the awesome things that are being destroyed right now?

I thought that was just Houston's disease.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9622 on: April 29, 2011, 03:12:22 pm »

Related, maybe - when my wife and I were first dating, we met in Seattle for a weekend. She came by train. The train station at that time looked all old and stately from the outside and straight out of the seventies inside - avocado with tar-stained ceiling tiles and shit. But they were restoring it, and in one place they had this big section of plexiglas in the ceiling so you could see all the crazy ornate tin ceiling panels that they'd just hidden with the shitty drop ceiling. It was kind of nice that they hadn't torn it all out back then.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9623 on: April 29, 2011, 03:22:09 pm »

Related, maybe - when my wife and I were first dating, we met in Seattle for a weekend. She came by train. The train station at that time looked all old and stately from the outside and straight out of the seventies inside - avocado with tar-stained ceiling tiles and shit. But they were restoring it, and in one place they had this big section of plexiglas in the ceiling so you could see all the crazy ornate tin ceiling panels that they'd just hidden with the shitty drop ceiling. It was kind of nice that they hadn't torn it all out back then.

That's a different, related disease.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9624 on: April 29, 2011, 03:36:18 pm »

Quote
Isn't that pretty close to you, like just off of Grand somewhere?

Nope, it is over by Kingshighway, north of Forest Park.

Also, looking at Wikipedia again, this is the house the original short stories were written about. Not, like, the house that is in the movie.

Yes, St Louis does have those blogs. It is pretty sad. Entire blocks being stolen by brick thieves, etc. This land developer owns a huge portion of the north half of the city and his plan is to demolish everything, but he isn't getting the tax breaks he wants right now.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9625 on: April 30, 2011, 12:51:47 am »


Yes, St Louis does have those blogs. It is pretty sad. Entire blocks being stolen by brick thieves, etc. This land developer owns a huge portion of the north half of the city and his plan is to demolish everything, but he isn't getting the tax breaks he wants right now.

My wife's going on a road trip through Nevada with a friend and we were checking out lists of ghost towns (old mining towns) and they say a lot of them are completely gone due to brick thieves.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9626 on: April 30, 2011, 01:20:56 am »

Eat sushi for the first time!

I liked it!

Also, I discovered that my embarrassingly bad chopstick skills are still not enough to make me buckle and ask for a fork.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9627 on: April 30, 2011, 01:25:28 am »

Congratuations!

Also, you know it is OK to eat sushi with your fingers?

Not that a civilized person shouldn't have decent chopstick abilities. But it's not sushi that you really need it for.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9628 on: April 30, 2011, 02:29:49 am »

Yeah, it is totally acceptable as fingerfood in Japan, I have read this too.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9629 on: April 30, 2011, 03:37:22 am »

Eat sushi for the first time!

I liked it!

Also, I discovered that my embarrassingly bad chopstick skills are still not enough to make me buckle and ask for a fork.

Mmm, unagi. And octopus. And a lot of things, actually.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 878   Go Up