Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349418 times)

0 Members and 164 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9885 on: June 07, 2011, 02:49:57 pm »

You'd be less likely to poison someone there, so that's a net gain for humanity.

Well maybe.  Wouldn't it depend on who you poisoned?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9886 on: June 07, 2011, 03:46:36 pm »

Well maybe.  Wouldn't it depend on who you poisoned?

You monster! They're refugee children!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9887 on: June 07, 2011, 05:14:41 pm »

You monster! They're refugee children!

Oh yeah?  Well so was Hitler.

GODWIN'D!!!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9888 on: June 07, 2011, 07:12:08 pm »

Urrg, today I'm gonna spend an hour and a half dragging my 3 year old through Barnes & Noble looking for the books DeNiece and DeNephew want for their birthdays because I compared prices on BN.com and Amazon and BN was a few bucks cheaper plus I had some other stuff I wanted to look at there.

Then, at the register, I realized that in-store they charge LIST PRICE even though their online prices for these particular books are 30% off! I knew this was true of other places (Toys R Us is terrible about it), but I have never encountered this at BN.com before. But then, I usually buy books from Amazon because their prices are even lower than BN.com and the local store is one of the smaller BNs and doesn't usually have what I'm looking for in stock.

It kills me that if I'd ordered online and chosen the "pick up in-store" option I could have walked in and gotten the exact same books, not had to locate them myself, and paid $25 less. Now I'm going to have to order them online, wait for them to arrive, and then return these copies to the store. What a PITA.

So learn from my mistake: don't expect the prices of a brick-and-mortar store to be the same as their online counterpart. Grarg.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9889 on: June 07, 2011, 07:39:30 pm »

Welcome to 1997.

/undeserved snark.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9890 on: June 07, 2011, 07:48:51 pm »

I know! That's why I'm kicking myself. I should know better.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9891 on: June 07, 2011, 08:07:50 pm »

Monolithic technophobe.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9892 on: June 07, 2011, 08:18:30 pm »

my friend who is moving away is telling me about her 20-hour-a-week job mentoring little refugee kids. It sounds cool, because I love kids, but also, "Center for Survivors of Torture and War Trauma" is really intense and scary. She says she will put in good words for me if I want it, and they really really need male employees. I could do this and be making not horribly less than my current job, and get another part-time job or internship or volunteer position. Hmm.

That's awesome.  The need for male mentors in practiacally every program I've encountered is drastically disproportiionate the the need for females.  Don't be intimidated by the name of the program.  Universally, kids want someone to take an interest in them and make them feel special.  I'd imagine such a place has an extensive network of mental health workers for if disclosures and/or triggers occur.  Mentor rolls are almost all about active listening and setting and maintaining appropriate boundaries.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9893 on: June 08, 2011, 05:53:35 am »

At a party with a bunch of Teach for America people. Wow. I am trying to not just say every mean thing. Weird that people going into this kind of program would have such a poor grasp of basic social issues.

 I never thought i would be semi-drunkenly yelling about the department of housing and urban development.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9894 on: June 08, 2011, 04:59:14 pm »

I never thought i would be semi-drunkenly yelling about the department of housing and urban development.

Our little Inev is growing up to be a very interesting person.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9895 on: June 08, 2011, 05:49:30 pm »

oh my god some of those people were so stupid. Talking to my roommate about his experiences at that party, apparently this girl was getting into stupid arguments all night, including about 9/11 conspiracy theories.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9896 on: June 08, 2011, 08:50:21 pm »

I've been there. Not with Smithsonian since I've always had a subscription, but elsewhere on the web. You're welcome/I'm sorry.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9897 on: June 08, 2011, 11:38:36 pm »

New Yorker archives may just be for subscribers (unsure) but there's like 85 years of that shit out there.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9898 on: June 09, 2011, 01:15:00 pm »

Yesterday I'm gonna get a facial (not the sex kind) for the first time in ten years. I cannot believe how good my skin looks/feels. Also, there was an arm/shoulder massage involved, aaaahhh.

Today I'm gonna pick up Pedro from work, attend my daughter's last-day-of-school party at 11, meet my MIL for a kid hand-off at 11:45, drive to Boyface's school, have a conference about his transition to his new school at noon, attend his end-of-year party at 12:30, take Pedro back to work, drive to my MIL's, pick up my daughter, arrive home about 2:30, have a couple of hours to do housework and whatnot. Then at 4:45, Pedro arrives home, and at 5:10 I leave to take Boyface to speech therapy. We'll get home at 6:30, have a quick supper, and then I leave again at 8 to meet some friends at the game store for a few rounds of Munchkin.

Holy hell, it's a busy day.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9899 on: June 09, 2011, 06:38:08 pm »

I make heavy use of the flag/classification system in MS Outlook.  A red flag is something that is top priority, must be done today.  Green is regular priority.  Orange is low, get to this when you can but no biggie.  Purple is something that I've acted on, and now I'm waiting on someone else to do something, and I either have to make sure it gets done or take another action when I hear back from them.  My stress level at any given moment is directly proportional to the number of flagged e-mails I have, and their color distribution.

For the first time since I can't remember when, I have only purple flags right now. I have done everything I can do and I am waiting on other slow-ass people to do things.

Not entirely true to say I have nothing to do; there are lots of petty back burner things that aren't tracked in e-mail that I can think about.  But for the time being, all the big immediate stuff is pushed as far as I can push it right now.  It's a weird feeling.  I'm sure in a week or so I'll be completely apeshit again.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 878   Go Up