Smells, I guess I am one of the privileged people, because I have not encountered too many folks in my life who i felt were just totally irredeemable. I have certainly met people who have chosen not to take advantage of services that would help them redeem themselves -- the meth addict who killed my grandmother and her husband twelve hours after being released from prison does spring to mind -- but I still feel like that was a bad decision on his part that got wildly out of hand, not an inherent evil lurking in his soul. Certainly, there are people who will reject opportunities for redemption, but I still believe (because I must, or else succumb to despair) that they are people making bad choices, not bad people.
Off topic (if that's even possible for this thread): Does anybody else have random words float around in your head as you fall asleep? I was jarred awake several times last night just as I was dropping off by a string of interruptions, and each time I was able to catch the last few words that were floating across as I regained complete consciousness. This happens with some regularity, but last night's catch was too good not to share: first, I had "Columbian Fear of Bad Feelings," followed by "crimson criminal cannibal."
Pedro, apparently, doesn't get words, but images. Freaky.