Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Is eaten food technically rotting inside you? It's pretty warm in there. Technically, we all not only live in, but *are* "the danger zone."

Pages: 1 ... 681 682 [683] 684 685 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348123 times)

0 Members and 193 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10230 on: August 11, 2011, 06:34:05 pm »

Or even better, use mySQL.  Fuck Microsoft.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10231 on: August 11, 2011, 07:22:18 pm »

So many companies do not list any personnel on their website. Horrific. Some even say "contact HR to apply" but don't list any contact information for HR.

Some of them do this on purpose to weed out people who won't make an effort to get the information.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10232 on: August 12, 2011, 01:57:11 am »

Some of them do this on purpose to weed out people who won't make an effort to get the information.

Is that the goal of restaurant websites that bury their hours deeper than Jimmy Hoffa?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 02:04:13 am by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10233 on: August 12, 2011, 02:35:11 am »

Oh god, restaurant websites. Is there any other industry that has so many different totally misguided ideas about websites?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10234 on: August 12, 2011, 03:49:54 am »

Oh god, restaurant websites. Is there any other industry that has so many different totally misguided ideas about websites?

i think they are more misguided about what the customer wants and less so about web design, in general.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10235 on: August 12, 2011, 01:04:57 pm »

I get what you're saying, but shouldn't business web design be functional, primarily? And the primary function should be efficiently and effectively presenting information to customers.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10236 on: August 12, 2011, 01:47:44 pm »

I get what you're saying, but shouldn't business web design be functional, primarily? And the primary function should be efficiently and effectively presenting information to customers.

One would think, but restaurants tend to use their wife's retarded brother or whatever to do their web design.  I think there is a general perception that building websites is easy.  But it's like a lot of things in that it's easy to do really really badly.  Doing it well is a little more challenging.  So restaurants, especially restaurants running on a shoestring budget, tend to let that general perception guide their decision making and hand the job over to an amateur with little knowledge of coding an even less about design and functionality.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10237 on: August 12, 2011, 02:07:23 pm »

But even the ones who obviously have money are awful - it's just at the other extreme, with everything animated and popping up in weird ways and making music and all kinds of fancy shit that just gets in the way. We just want to look at the menu and know the hours, OK?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10238 on: August 12, 2011, 02:24:32 pm »

But even the ones who obviously have money are awful - it's just at the other extreme, with everything animated and popping up in weird ways and making music and all kinds of fancy shit that just gets in the way. We just want to look at the menu and know the hours, OK?

There was just a story in Slate about this (did somebody link to it already?) guessing that the fancy restaurants think that we want the same atmosphere and feeling of hospitality and being entertained on the site that we do in the actual restaurant. Clearly these people have their heads up their asses.

Additional random complaint: our IT people just switched our internal e-mail system so that everything is last, first because it's the "industry standard."
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10239 on: August 12, 2011, 03:07:42 pm »

Mail merge for form letters?  (Access is better than Excel at this too).

Yes, that's exactly what we used it for at Gigantic Soulless Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

Also, sometimes we only wanted to send something to the people in one state, or one region. I worked in Professional & State Gov't Affairs, which is where the salesmen and lobbyists were. So sometimes we wanted to send stuff to all the doctors in Kentucky, and sometimes we'd need to send something to the legislative members of Minnesota. Sometimes we wanted to send info (as for a conference) to everyone in the Southeast. For that, we needed to be able to sort and subdivide, so we had fields that never showed up in the address, like job titles and region codes. Having it in a database -- and we had thousands and thousands of records -- made it much, much easier. This is the intended use of Access and the mail merge feature in Word, and when used correctly, it's very effective.

There is no reason to use Access for any less than 100 addresses, and even then it's stupid unless you regularly send mailings to various subsets of the whole.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10240 on: August 12, 2011, 04:11:57 pm »

Well these are rather disturbing answers now that I think of it. I am afraid what this means is that they are going to add the addresses I sent them to their database and pester them with publicity for other books.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10241 on: August 12, 2011, 05:01:37 pm »

(T)he fancy restaurants think that we want the same atmosphere and feeling of hospitality hostility and being entertained on the site that we do in the actual restaurant.

Speaking of inviting websites, the Missus got a promotion at work, and as such has new business cards coming. She asked me to order her a card holder from this website. I basically have to tell her that I can't condone this sort of thing.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10242 on: August 13, 2011, 12:04:19 am »

Quote from: CortJstr link=topic=3806.msg175784#msg175784
"industry standard."

Where I work, this is code for "how the fuck am I supposed to know?" Or, "one of our competitors did it and it saved them a few bucks. I know it sucks but they did it first!" The second one is when we explain a change to customers.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10243 on: August 13, 2011, 01:36:43 am »

...frantically call a bunch of cabins trying to find one to rent last minute.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10244 on: August 13, 2011, 10:33:53 am »

Additional random complaint: our IT people just switched our internal e-mail system so that everything is last, first because it's the "industry standard."

Makes sense if you work for a large organization, less so if you don't.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 681 682 [683] 684 685 ... 878   Go Up