Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348917 times)

0 Members and 216 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10410 on: September 27, 2011, 04:30:00 am »

Congrats! Come live here with me. Do you want to know how disgustingly low my rent is? DISGUSTINGLY low.

A paid position has opened up at the place where I do my internship, but if you do the math I would be making 4.50 an hour. Isn't that illegal? I guess it isn't since it is through the government.

I do not know if I can live on that amount of money. Or, if I want to.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10411 on: September 27, 2011, 09:13:05 am »

Congratulations GKA
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10412 on: September 27, 2011, 10:05:59 am »

Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10413 on: September 27, 2011, 06:26:18 pm »

Why the fuck did I never think of using that on dude until this very moment? The hell boys, I am slipping.

We're all way behind Doc. But we knew that.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10414 on: September 27, 2011, 06:28:02 pm »

Doc is responsible for the funniest thing I have ever read on chat. It was morning for me, late night for him, and when he signed off, he said, "Enjoy your day. We just had it here, it was a good one."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10415 on: September 28, 2011, 11:42:05 am »

Well shucks, JL, I'm going to put that on my CV.

Today I got to help open up a man's knee, carve it into a shape that would fit a prosthesis, glue a chunk of metal on it and then close it back up again. By the end my mask and scrubs were splattered with blood and bone fragments. That noise you hear when you wrench a drumstick out of its socket on a roast chicken, turns out people joints make the same noise.

Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10416 on: September 28, 2011, 11:57:05 am »

Today I got to help open up a man's knee, carve it into a shape that would fit a prosthesis, glue a chunk of metal on it and then close it back up again. By the end my mask and scrubs were splattered with blood and bone fragments. That noise you hear when you wrench a drumstick out of its socket on a roast chicken, turns out people joints make the same noise.

sick!
rad!
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10417 on: September 28, 2011, 02:21:01 pm »

That's an excuse to go out for lunch, ain't?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10418 on: September 28, 2011, 05:10:32 pm »

You're the doc, Doc.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10419 on: September 29, 2011, 02:20:46 am »

OK Doc, that is awesome but let me give you a heads up...

You're going to get really fine, precise even, with the cutting gear. You need to decide if you want to let that skill out of the bag because if you do later on you are going to wind up having to be the guy, at every family/friend gathering, who carves up the bird or the roast.

Just a warning.

I thought you were going to go for carving up bodies.

Tolerance is kind of an icky word, y'know? I don't know whether I want to promote the idea that the best I can do for people other than myself is to tolerate them. Sounds negative.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10420 on: September 29, 2011, 03:02:20 am »

today I met another important alderman. I am mad because before I realized who he was, I was completely charmed by him. He is notorious for being a smooth operator who talks out of both sides of his mouth. I am a white guy in glasses who works at a nonprofit, so I got a spiel about how wonderful and historic the neighborhood is and WHY do people keep tearing buildings down? these beautiful, historic buildings that are our heritage as a community?
Pro-tip: you are granting permits for those people to tear those buildings down, dude.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10421 on: September 29, 2011, 04:31:32 am »

I am doing this application for this paid position, and there is a question about how I have Served My Community in the past. What? I am trying to think of a less sarcastic spin on "I am currently working for you 3 days a week for free."

For some reason I am having a really cynical response to this question. Like, seriously? I guess I am getting defensive because I have never done any sort of "community service" that wasn't mandated by school.

I deeply hate that they can just make this a mandatory question on the online form, and force me to make up some bullshit. I would rather just leave it blank and take their judgement that maybe I'm a little bit selgiraffe and hypocritical.

I would like to think that even if I had done that stuff, I would not want to put that on a job application. Hire me based on whether you think I will be good at doing administrative tasks at your nonprofit's office.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 04:43:23 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10422 on: September 29, 2011, 06:59:27 am »

In unrelated news, today I learned that the fact that stretching my shoulders makes me moan like an old man is related to my horrible posture. In the past months I have gotten into stretching, and the lady has complimented my sudden improved posture. YEAH.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10423 on: September 29, 2011, 12:33:03 pm »

I am doing this application for this paid position, and there is a question about how I have Served My Community in the past. What? I am trying to think of a less sarcastic spin on "I am currently working for you 3 days a week for free."

For some reason I am having a really cynical response to this question. Like, seriously? I guess I am getting defensive because I have never done any sort of "community service" that wasn't mandated by school.

I deeply hate that they can just make this a mandatory question on the online form, and force me to make up some bullshit. I would rather just leave it blank and take their judgement that maybe I'm a little bit selgiraffe and hypocritical.

I would like to think that even if I had done that stuff, I would not want to put that on a job application. Hire me based on whether you think I will be good at doing administrative tasks at your nonprofit's office.

Just put the stuff you did that was mandated by school. This is EXACTLY the reason service projects are required by so many school districts now. Use it. They don't have to know the school forced you into it.

Play the game, jump through the hoops. If they're pleased with your intern work already, it's just a formality anyway.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10424 on: September 29, 2011, 12:45:05 pm »

With all the "community service" that students seem to have to do these days, I don't know where they'd find the time to do any actually voluntary community service.

But yeah, did you think that stuff was about teaching you to do good? It's for putting on your damn resume. So do it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 878   Go Up