Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348854 times)

0 Members and 220 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10425 on: September 29, 2011, 05:52:15 pm »

I actually can't remember any of that community service, though. I think I sorted clothes at goodwill once?

I wrote a really good mini-essay about what inspired me to enter the nonprofit field for the next question, so... I am not too worried about it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10426 on: September 30, 2011, 12:22:13 am »

There absolutely need to be photos of this.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10427 on: September 30, 2011, 12:25:42 am »

You should also be smoking a pipe.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10428 on: September 30, 2011, 01:12:32 am »

...Google lockpicking techniques to try and open a window in my office, only to realize that if I'd actually looked at the window before deciding I didn't know where the key was, I'd have noticed that there were actually TWO keys sitting on the sash.

Also, I'm gonna "help" my daughter make a pair of pajamas for her Barbie. How the hell did I give birth to a miniature Suzy Homemaker? Never in my life have I seen a three-year-old so fascinated by the domestic arts. She wants to learn to knit already; the other day she brought me a pair of drumsticks and a string and asked me to make her a sweater.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10429 on: September 30, 2011, 01:18:59 am »

Also, I'm gonna "help" my daughter make a pair of pajamas for her Barbie. How the hell did I give birth to a miniature Suzy Homemaker? Never in my life have I seen a three-year-old so fascinated by the domestic arts. She wants to learn to knit already; the other day she brought me a pair of drumsticks and a string and asked me to make her a sweater.

obviously she wants to be like her mommy.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10430 on: September 30, 2011, 01:31:56 am »

I have a reel mower, but it is fancy-##### as such things go and my yard is tiny.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10431 on: September 30, 2011, 01:55:39 am »

I got the $99 Wal Mart special.  I also got a Mexican to push it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10432 on: September 30, 2011, 01:57:40 am »

obviously she wants to be like her mommy.

When I was three, I was into, like, building with blocks, and play-doh, and I dunno, probably putting rocks in my nose or something. The child actually had the patience and concentration to control the speed on the foot pedal of my sewing machine while I helped her feed the fabric through. It was nuts.

Also, I don't own a lawnmower. We hire a guy to do my lawn and he brings his own equipment. $30 every two weeks is nothing when you consider the time spent arguing about it. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Fernando has saved my marriage.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10433 on: September 30, 2011, 02:09:16 am »

You and your wife aren't the kind of people who do anything possible to stay away from that weird yellow orb in the sky, though.

We're morlocks, essentially.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10434 on: September 30, 2011, 04:39:08 am »

the other day, on our anniversary, my lady gave me a big fancy hardcover edition of A Pattern Language. Which I am really excited about. For some reason it made me think of JL's family.

So just so you know, JL, I associate really good nerdy gifts with your family.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10435 on: September 30, 2011, 11:20:38 pm »

20 minutes is a long time to cycle through an exercise routine. I did what felt like a lot of repetitions, and then checked the clock-- 3 minutes had elapsed. Umm. I think I am happy with the decision that I will nip this beer belly in the bud, instead of buying all new #####.

Why doesn't any fitness store in STL sell a pullup bar that you don't have to screw into the wall? There is no doorframe in my house where brackets for a pullup bar will be acceptable.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 11:28:09 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10436 on: October 03, 2011, 07:31:58 am »

Today I had a delicious breakfast with my girlfriend, bought and installed a new car battery, and helped my roommate brew beer. Then we ate pizza and watched Troll Hunter.

Struggling a lot with the correct food etiquette in regards to my lady's newfound food allergies. I can't tell which makes her feel worse:
1. My roommates are eating delicious pizza, and I turn it down to eat food that she can eat. We eat some kind of health food or whatever and gaze longingly at my roommates eating pizza and drinking beer.
2. I eat delicious pizza with my roommates, and she forages for her own meal.

It would be a lot easier if I were better at pretending I didn't want pizza and beer. It is clear what the Good Boyfriend choice is, but then I feel like no one is happy.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10437 on: October 03, 2011, 11:51:16 am »

Is it a gluten intolerance? My friend has celiac disease, and her boyfriend decided to keep their place gluten-free, other than having a few beers on hand. But when they are out, he eats what he wants. This is more than she expected but it works well for them.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10438 on: October 03, 2011, 04:36:45 pm »

If her preference is that you should suffer too she is not a good person.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10439 on: October 03, 2011, 05:11:25 pm »

I mean.... on friday my stated preference was not "you should skip that concert you want to go to, and come jump-start my car," but it made me very happy that she did that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 878   Go Up