Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348110 times)

0 Members and 194 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10455 on: October 05, 2011, 02:29:39 am »

Today I'm gonna learn that people actually click on animated banner ads on the Internet. My publisher is running an ad and linking it to my blog (yes, this doesn't make sense, sigh) and damn if people aren't actually clicking on it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10456 on: October 05, 2011, 02:29:55 am »

... want a gun more than I have ever wanted one.  I don't know if this was big news other places?  Or just places with MMJ?  Anyways, having a prescription for marijuana does not allow you to carry a gun and marijuana at the same time, which seems like some bullshit to me.  Can old dudes on Oxycontin carry guns?  Then I should be allowed too.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10457 on: October 06, 2011, 06:07:04 am »

...realize that I am on my fourth submission to McSweeney's Internet Tendency, all rejected and I'm gonna keep trying, and I have no idea what this says about me.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10458 on: October 06, 2011, 06:09:48 am »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10459 on: October 06, 2011, 06:55:00 am »

...realize that I am on my fourth submission to McSweeney's Internet Tendency, all rejected and I'm gonna keep trying, and I have no idea what this says about me.

That you're doing what you love.... getting rejected.

No... wait, the other thing.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10460 on: October 06, 2011, 07:01:29 am »

I am trying to be the ball.

I am trying to do the dumb things I gotta do.

I am trying to touch the puppet head.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10461 on: October 06, 2011, 07:10:04 am »

Keep on pushing man.  In all sincerity, I believe you have it in you to succeed at doing what you love to do.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10462 on: October 06, 2011, 12:01:42 pm »

...realize that I am on my fourth submission to McSweeney's Internet Tendency, all rejected and I'm gonna keep trying, and I have no idea what this says about me.

You've submitted all of those things elsewhere once they were rejected, right?  There is only something wrong with what you are doing if McSweeney's is the only place you are getting rejected from.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10463 on: October 06, 2011, 12:22:53 pm »

Also, humor is one of those things where something could be perfectly hilarious, but if it's not quite the right style or tone for the publication, they'll reject it for that reason. I think comic pieces are harder to place than narrative or nonfiction ones. That's why I don't write humor.

Well, that, plus not being funny.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10464 on: October 06, 2011, 04:48:42 pm »

I don't know what other places to submit that kind of stuff to?

An opendiary friend suggested to me that some of my entries, slightly rewritten, might fit that site's thing so I've been trying that.

Sort of to ramp myself up into being able to do it multiple places.

Babysteps, I think.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10465 on: October 06, 2011, 05:02:35 pm »

holy crap, the feeling I had leaving that interview was great. I feel very optimistic.

The more she talked about what I would be doing, the bigger the smile got on my face. YEAH.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10466 on: October 06, 2011, 05:33:50 pm »

I don't know what other places to submit that kind of stuff to?

Part of your job as a writer is to figure out where the markets are for your stuff. Are you spending time actually looking for humor websites that maybe you haven't already heard of? Are you looking at sites that do take submissions and trying to come up with something that would suit them (Cracked.com, say)? I mean, it's not like this is hard work - I am suggesting you surf the web. Hell, send those McSweeney's pieces to The New Yorker, isn't that the same sort of dry allegedly witty style?

Your job is to be accumulating a file full of rejection letters. If you're not doing this you need to figure out how. It doesn't happen by itself.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10467 on: October 06, 2011, 05:42:30 pm »

Smets, listen to Wombles. She knows what she's talking about. I have followed her advice and I have been published twice, once was even in print. And it looks like I'm going to be published in China within the next year. I do not think I am a better writer than you. I think I just did what Wombat said and threw stuff at as many places as I could think of and some of it stuck.

I have been slacking lately, because of kid and family obligations, but if you do the work and collect those rejection letters religiously -- and let me tell you, getting back a rejection letter is much more satisfying than getting back nothing at all, which is what usually happens -- eventually someone will send you an acceptance letter and spoil your collection.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10468 on: October 06, 2011, 06:08:28 pm »

And if you keep trying, someday you will have a whole book published by a major New York publisher and get to discover that they really have no idea how to run a business and you have probably done all this work and it will go nowhere! So there's that to look forward to.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10469 on: October 06, 2011, 08:23:42 pm »

Oh and one more thing: The first few rejections hurt. The fiftieth is, like, whatever. At this point all I feel is annoyance that I have to dig out the file where I keep track and make a note of it.

I don't doubt that I started out with more self-confidence than LFM, but it doesn't matter in the long run, if you just keep exposing yourself to it, you will get desensitized.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 878   Go Up