Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1347965 times)

0 Members and 191 Guests are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10530 on: October 20, 2011, 09:45:31 pm »

is thinking amtrak cheap a sign that i might be in the 1% because good christ two round-trip tickets for less than half the cheapest solo flight? because elsewise i never would have thought i qualified. my income sure don't speak to that
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10531 on: October 21, 2011, 01:09:56 am »

Amtrak's brilliance is in taking short-to-medium-length trips around the Northeast. Boston, Toronto, Montreal, Buffalo, Philly, DC, Baltimore, NYC, etc.

I can take a train from Penn Station Manhattan to Albany or Utica and it will be cheaper than the gas and tolls, more or less the same length of time, and I will not have to drive my car.

Now, if you're dealing with multiple people or going outside of the Northeast and eastern Upper Midwest, it kind of sucks... but if you're doing a medium hop around the Northeast, it is the tits.

When my dad pays $1200 for a three-day sleeper trip from Utica to Los Angeles via Chicago, one-way, because he is a'scared of flying, it is madness?

But if you're just bopping from New York to Boston or whatever with three or four changes of clothes in a small suitcase, it is the best thing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10532 on: October 21, 2011, 02:38:04 am »

Amtrack cheap? Really? From Penn station in Baltimore to Penn in NYC it is $40-110 each way depending on time of day. Bolt bus, which has free wi-fi and picks up and drops off at the same locations, is $7-15 each way. 
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10533 on: October 21, 2011, 03:08:39 am »

Cheaper than driving or flying, anyway.

Buses and I don't get along so I wouldn't know for buses.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10534 on: October 21, 2011, 03:13:31 am »

yeah, gas from here to Chicago and back ends up being like 80-90$. An Amtrak ticket is around that price, Megabus is often like 20$ each way.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10535 on: October 21, 2011, 04:25:51 am »

If you rode on the Amtrak you might meet an interesting fella like Clay.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10536 on: October 21, 2011, 11:43:13 am »

Last I did it, Amtrak between NY and DC was more expensive than flying, but worth every penny. I am going next week, will report back.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10537 on: October 21, 2011, 01:49:42 pm »

I have limited experience with both flying and riding the train, but between the two, I really prefer Amtrak. It takes as long as driving, but it's much cheaper than flying and it's much more relaxing than any of the other options. Haven't tried it with kids yet, but we're considering a trip to Baltimore with the offspring pretty soon and may train it up.

I just wish there were a decent route to Toledo from here. We'd have to go to DC and change trains, then take another train to Toledo from there. We may do it on a longer vacation and plan layovers in some of the more interesting towns along the way, but when we're going for Christmas and we only have 6 days, we can't afford to spend two of them traveling each way.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10538 on: October 21, 2011, 04:13:11 pm »

For me, there is nothing more relaxing than traveling by car.  I've driven all around this country and I love it.  I've never been to North Carolina though.  Need to drive that Mid Atlantic corridor someday.  Wish I could afford to drive to Choop's party then keep on driving east and then north all the way up to the DC area.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10539 on: October 21, 2011, 04:18:48 pm »

We're going to take a quick trip up to Seattle to watch the Ravens game with the family - all 4 brothers, Dad, and my nephew. I am leaning toward taking the train - I've never done so (that particular trip).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10540 on: October 21, 2011, 04:29:32 pm »

I like to drive moderate distances -- 5, 6 hours at a stretch. But the 12-hour drive to Toledo and back, twice a year, with two kids in the backseat...not so much. It'd be much nicer to take a train so we could actually spend that time interacting with the kids instead of letting them zone out to videos and occasionally yelling at them to stop fighting.

We took the kids on an Amtrak from our town to a neighboring town once, just for fun. It cost $20 for all 4 of us and lasted about 15 minutes. I was afraid that BooBear would be scared or overwhelmed, but both kids loved it. It was a test drive for a longer trip in the future; we might try an hour-long ride soon, and if that goes well, book some tickets to see Pedro's brother in Baltimore next spring.

I love Amtrak.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10541 on: October 21, 2011, 04:40:03 pm »

Sometimes I worry that I am a "TMI" person, and then someone tells me all about their girlfriend's weird skin rash/infection when I ask "how are things going with that girl you're dating?"

Just got an update: it wasn't a rash, just really dry skin. PHEW! I was up all night worried about that one, dude. Thanks for filling me in.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10542 on: October 21, 2011, 04:43:43 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10543 on: October 21, 2011, 09:30:11 pm »

We're going to take a quick trip up to Seattle to watch the Ravens game with the family - all 4 brothers, Dad, and my nephew. I am leaning toward taking the train - I've never done so (that particular trip).

It's nice, and it drops you off walking distance from Safeco field.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10544 on: October 21, 2011, 11:31:51 pm »

It's nice, and it drops you off walking distance from Safeco field.

I wondered about that - since we probably won't be staying the night it'd be nice to just meet there. I guess with everyone having smart phones it won't be too hard to find each other.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 878   Go Up