Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: 1 ... 711 712 [713] 714 715 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349163 times)

0 Members and 201 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10680 on: November 12, 2011, 12:27:01 am »

That is possibly the best Smells story ever.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10681 on: November 12, 2011, 01:58:21 am »

Ah, we were fuckin' at 11:11:11 (PST).

That sounds like a good plan for tonight's round of 11.11.11 11:11:11.

That is possibly the best Smells story ever.

Thanks,  I suppose I can add a bit of nostalgia- tinged sadness to the tale by noting they forgot the bacon on my breakfast sandwich.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10682 on: November 12, 2011, 07:35:09 am »

we seem to discuss accents once a month.  here is a kind of interesting chart.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10683 on: November 12, 2011, 08:45:13 am »

Brought the car into the shop for the third time in six weeks for the same complaint - tire pressure light is on. Read them the riot act a bit, and instead of just airing it up as they apparently did the last two times, they said "hey, you got a big fuck*ng nail in your tire, right at the sidewall" (1, can't be fixed, and 2, we drove to the coast on that thanks very much). Also, their tire thing is out of commission, so we had to go to Les Schwab. Somebody will hear about this.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10684 on: November 12, 2011, 11:41:46 am »

we seem to discuss accents once a month.  here is a kind of interesting chart.
Do you have the higher resolution copy? I can't read the text :(.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10685 on: November 12, 2011, 02:28:04 pm »

Do you have the higher resolution copy? I can't read the text :(.

'fraid not.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10686 on: November 14, 2011, 01:08:42 am »

Do you have the higher resolution copy? I can't read the text :(.

http://i.imgur.com/vTwE7.gif

e: It looks like the source is this: http://aschmann.net/AmEng/#SmallMapUnitedStates (with clickable links). I can't really look at the map for more than a few seconds without my retinas starting to bleed, however.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:11:51 am by Mr Trout »
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10687 on: November 14, 2011, 01:58:28 am »

Thanks for that. I'm gonna nerd out with that now.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10688 on: November 14, 2011, 05:17:31 am »

Nothing like going out of town for a weekend, then discovering your family cat is dead when you get home.

She was 18 and had been going steadily downhill for the past year, so it wasn't altogether unexpected. But still.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10689 on: November 14, 2011, 12:32:43 pm »

Sorry about your cat, sounds like she had nice long kitty life.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10690 on: November 14, 2011, 02:25:39 pm »

Aw, sorry.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10691 on: November 14, 2011, 06:05:38 pm »

Thanks for that. I'm gonna nerd out with that now.
I like the link to Kari Byron as a representative of the Los Gatos accent.
(More generally, the Western accent with central-front long-o and without pin/pen merger)
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10692 on: November 14, 2011, 06:58:33 pm »

Ran into a lady at the Internship who I hadn't met before. Talked in vague terms about my program idea (frugal cooking classes) and she agrees it is something that is needed. She is also working with a new food pantry type operation that wants to get involved in this neighborhood.

Next step: look into other programs of this type.

(funding? pay me?)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10693 on: November 14, 2011, 08:49:23 pm »

Awesome, dude. Way to be the change, man. Hope it works out.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10694 on: November 14, 2011, 09:06:19 pm »

Most people can't cook frugally because they don't know how to cook period. If they get a bag of flour from a food pantry they seriously would have no idea what to do with it. I'm not just talking about people who need food pantries. I was once talking with a highly educated friend my own age and she asked how to cook a certain vegetable because she was trying to eat more vegetables and after I explained the way I liked to do it she said "I don't know how to saute." I was flabbergasted. If you don't know how to push things around in a frying pan till they are cooked, what on earth are you eating?

So this is a great idea that gets at a fundamental problem but I think it needs to be presented to people with a positive spin. "Frugal" is such a horrible word. It sounds like depriving yourself, when what you can cook yourself is so much better than cheap prepared food. There must be a happy medium between "Learn to cook miserable bean dishes because you are poor" and the FoodTV extreme of "watch us cook absurdly complicated stuff while you eat your microwaved frozen entree in front of the TV."

Yes, I have a bee in my bonnet about this.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 711 712 [713] 714 715 ... 878   Go Up