Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: 1 ... 752 753 [754] 755 756 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1347276 times)

0 Members and 181 Guests are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11295 on: April 13, 2012, 06:00:41 am »

damn. Someone posted a picture of something I have passed 100000 times in St Louis on reddit and got 100000000 imaginary internet points. With a racist caption. I just thought it was kind of funny because is is so bizarre looking.

well- don't- i mean- come on!

you show us the [spoiler]black rugrats graffitti[/spoiler] and then leave us hanging on the caption? dangit man!
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11296 on: April 13, 2012, 01:04:15 pm »

damn. Someone posted a picture of something I have passed 100000 times in St Louis on reddit and got 100000000 imaginary internet points. With a racist caption. I just thought it was kind of funny because is is so bizarre looking.

Ha!  Where is that?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11297 on: April 13, 2012, 05:43:40 pm »

far north on Grand avenue.

The caption I guess wasn't "racist" per se. It was "driving through the 'hood when I see...". I am just really bothered by white people using "the hood" or "the ghetto" to bring up all sorts of unpleasant stereotypes. Also, lots of messed up comments in the thread. When I studied in Paris there was a daycare with poorly drawn Disney characters on the outside, and nobody felt the need to make weird comments about what kind of person drew them.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Jaded Tersk

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 49
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11298 on: April 13, 2012, 06:35:09 pm »

Without meaning to, I returned from work today with 400 counterfeit Regal King Size cigarettes, two cans of Tennents lager, and 10 very large free range eggs.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11299 on: April 13, 2012, 07:05:08 pm »

far north on Grand avenue.

The caption I guess wasn't "racist" per se. It was "driving through the 'hood when I see...". I am just really bothered by white people using "the hood" or "the ghetto" to bring up all sorts of unpleasant stereotypes. Also, lots of messed up comments in the thread. When I studied in Paris there was a daycare with poorly drawn Disney characters on the outside, and nobody felt the need to make weird comments about what kind of person drew them.

I use "the 'hood," never to mean a bad part of town. I use it to mean, you know, like, my own neighborhood. As in, "I was out walking in the 'hood and I noticed that house on the corner is for sale." Or, sometimes, to mean someone else's neighborhood. "I was in the 'hood so I thought I'd call and see if you wanted to grab a Starbucks." Is it OK to use it that way? Now I'm worried that I'm being subtly racist.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11300 on: April 13, 2012, 07:09:44 pm »

i call my neighborhood the hood because "my neighborhood" is so many syllables. also i don't live in a very nice part of town.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11301 on: April 13, 2012, 08:36:21 pm »

I think it is OK if you are referring to "the neighborhood" and not using it as code for "that area where black people live."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11302 on: April 13, 2012, 08:45:01 pm »

I call my hood my hood because it is a hood.  It is where poor people live. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11303 on: April 13, 2012, 10:11:03 pm »

HR training pap [[dap]]

I've got my 4th run through Sexual Harassment on tap.  Fortunately we changed online training providers, so at least I have the hope that it isn't the same dang talking heads and scenarios.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11304 on: April 13, 2012, 11:37:56 pm »

here in BFE there arent any ghetto's.  i grew up in public housing in the town where i was born, but the houses were pretty decent.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11305 on: April 14, 2012, 02:31:37 pm »

slow on the uptake === late to the bandwagon

i've been watching archer since like episode 4 and it is just a hoot oh and also a holler
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11306 on: April 14, 2012, 03:19:39 pm »

my first reaction to the idea of downton abbey was, "who wants to watch a bunch of rich people be dicks?"  i added it to my netflix qway just to be sure there isnt more to it.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11307 on: April 14, 2012, 08:23:40 pm »

Well, that's been a different couple few weeks. It's kind of fun reading through ten pages of this and thinking "I got something to say about that . . . . oh well, someone else covered it" about everything.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11308 on: April 15, 2012, 04:35:25 pm »

That'll teach you to go home and have fun.

Word.

Did I mention I'll be in Hawaii next time I go home? I guess I did just there.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11309 on: April 16, 2012, 08:06:46 pm »

I actually had a hard time getting into Archer because I couldn't hear Jon Benjamin as that kind of character. Now I can't imagine him with any other voice.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 752 753 [754] 755 756 ... 878   Go Up