Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1342045 times)

0 Members and 184 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11475 on: May 04, 2012, 03:35:44 pm »

Today I'm gonna go to a pow wow.  Looking forward to it.  Maybe I'll take some pictures to share.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11476 on: May 04, 2012, 07:02:47 pm »

Everyone on the internet is mourning Adam Yauch. I have never been really into the Beastie Boys, but my roommates worship Paul's Boutique. Now I am watching some of these videos. Whenever I start watching youtube videos I am overwhelmed by this sense that American musical culture in the 20th century is probably the greatest, most diverse outpouring of human creativity that has ever occurred. I completely know, on a rational level, that this is chauvinist. I don't care.

But really:
-the blues
-goes electric
-gospel music explodes as migrant populations bring it to urban centers
-traditional white folk musics combine with the blues and begin country and rock'n'roll
-rock eats itself with punk
-the blues morphs into motown, r'n'b, funk, soul
-funk gets remixed into turntablism, hip hop, rap, creates the b-boys and breakdancing

There was a point somewhere between high school and college where I thought I had exhausted it all. I was getting bored with punk, thought I had plumbed the depths of older alternative/indie, and wasn't interested in anything else. Now I feel like every day there is some insane old thing to discover.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11477 on: May 04, 2012, 07:23:27 pm »

Today I am going to wrap up my vacation. MCA and Seau dead both in their mid-40s. It'll be a while before I go on vacation again.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11478 on: May 04, 2012, 10:00:19 pm »

Well, I'm glad you chuckers didn't leave me hanging forever on picking up my back half.

Rock on, Stinkfist.

I'm not one to leave a Parliament/Funkadelic reference hanging. Especially such a low hanging one as that.

Saw a headline about some priests getting defrocked. Such a filthy sounding word.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11479 on: May 05, 2012, 01:02:57 am »

Never thought I would have a problem where I couldn't stop making a cover letter longer and longer. Damn, I could write all day about this dumb city.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11480 on: May 05, 2012, 01:04:18 am »

Today I am going to wrap up my vacation. MCA and Seau dead both in their mid-40s. It'll be a while before I go on vacation again.

It's not your fault, really.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11481 on: May 05, 2012, 02:11:43 am »

I can't take that chance! It might be one of you next time!


Actually, I just meant I fuck*ng hate vacations and this just made it worse.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11482 on: May 05, 2012, 02:49:40 am »

Didn't a couple of famous people die last time Smells went on vacation, too?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11483 on: May 05, 2012, 04:11:22 am »

celebrities need to be more considerate of our psyches and emotional complexities, especially in when they die.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11484 on: May 05, 2012, 04:23:57 am »

Everyone update your celebrity death pools by August 1st, because that's when I head to Yellowstone for a week or so.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11485 on: May 05, 2012, 05:10:56 am »

Crazy, that is my birthday, shared by Chuck D, Jerry Garcia, Herman Melville and .... TOUAMB!

Now that's a motley crew.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11486 on: May 05, 2012, 06:31:03 am »

Crazy, that is my birthday, shared by Chuck D, Jerry Garcia, Herman Melville and .... TOUAMB!

And only Chuck D isn't dead already.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11487 on: May 05, 2012, 02:29:21 pm »

Today I'm gonna go to a pow wow.  Looking forward to it.  Maybe I'll take some pictures to share.

Here's a short video clip of the grass dancers at the pow wow I attended.  FYI, because in several communities, the belief is that all of nature is sacred, dancers would be sent out ahead of everyone else to flatten the grass in a way that respects and celebrates nature.  Needless to say, this dance is traditionally performed out doors.  You'll notice the head and body movements of some of the dancers sway and bend in a way that mimics the way grass moves in the breeze, and these moves are intended to gently part tall grasses.  Pretty cool, eh?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11488 on: May 05, 2012, 05:12:46 pm »

] I only had one beer over the several hours, and then drove home in the heat with the windows open listening to this album that I think you guys would like. This track has a laid-back vibe going on that I am really into lately.

That song is so good. I like the rest of the album but not nearly as much.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11489 on: May 06, 2012, 12:01:27 am »

Here's a short video clip of the grass dancers at the pow wow I attended. 

I didn't know what to expect, but I wasn't expecting to see a high school gymnasium.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 878   Go Up