Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: 1 ... 773 774 [775] 776 777 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1341537 times)

0 Members and 220 Guests are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11610 on: June 07, 2012, 12:07:59 pm »


I missed linnea. She is good people.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11611 on: June 08, 2012, 09:00:59 pm »

I missed linnea. She is good people.

Thanks dude!

Got an email from Spouse.

She's been a busy camper.

That is incredible. Good for Spouse, that country is still in terrible need and those kiddos need food. Awesome.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11612 on: June 08, 2012, 10:00:38 pm »

TIG see The Sound of Music for the first time. (Yeah, I know.) Outdoors. At an amphitheater. It's a sing-a-long.

I guess if you're going to make it to your 30s without ever having seen a classic film, you'd best make your first time something big.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11613 on: June 08, 2012, 10:05:08 pm »

it's a great film to sing along to.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11614 on: June 09, 2012, 04:47:53 am »

Yeah, it was pretty awesome.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11615 on: June 09, 2012, 01:02:17 pm »

I'm not a big fan of the outdoor movies, but having a musical sing-along would likely make it a lot more fun.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11616 on: June 12, 2012, 05:18:04 pm »

Holy shit. That is awesome that the class does that, but it seems far beyond the call of duty based on my experience. If I want a memory book made of my kids' work, I have to do it my own damn self.

(And, of course, I do.)

Teach is gonna love that "why I like you" book, though. For darn sure. Nice touch.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11617 on: June 12, 2012, 06:07:33 pm »

Arts and crafts coming out the ass hurts worst when the popsicle sticks start coming out.

The anal splinters, you know.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11618 on: June 13, 2012, 05:09:02 am »

Today, I found out that I have over 100 hours of paid time off, because I have never used any of my vacation time since I started this job.

Hm. I really want to go on a road trip, but gas is so expensive! Bus trip?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11619 on: June 13, 2012, 05:37:43 am »

Today, I found out that I have over 100 hours of paid time off, because I have never used any of my vacation time since I started this job.

Hm. I really want to go on a road trip, but gas is so expensive! Bus trip?

Penny-farthing trip

Embrace the hipster you want to be
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11620 on: June 13, 2012, 06:13:39 am »

One time I took a Greyhound from Denver to OKC, it was so awesome I had planned a whole nother trip that would be like take the bus to a city, stay there for two days high on speed, take bus to a city ten hours away by bus and sleep during trip.  It never worked out, but I think that would be a dope ass trip if you could do it.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11621 on: June 13, 2012, 01:04:43 pm »

Today, I found out that I have over 100 hours of paid time off, because I have never used any of my vacation time since I started this job.

Hm. I really want to go on a road trip, but gas is so expensive! Bus trip?

Depending on the route it can be much more expensive than driving, but I love train trips. I tried to plan one from LA to Seattle a couple years ago, but it got to be ridiculously expensive. Mostly getting to LA from Salt Lake and back to Salt Lake from Seattle. Next time I should just plan one through San Francisco. I'm sure it's cheaper the further east you go, and of course the population centers are much closer together.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11622 on: June 13, 2012, 01:25:53 pm »

Come to DC Ache-con in July!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11623 on: June 13, 2012, 02:05:09 pm »

aaaaaaammmmmtrrrrrraaaaaaaak
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11624 on: June 13, 2012, 02:37:41 pm »

...Get increasingly nervous at the prospect of my first serious, adult, A-league professional meeting. How will those sacrosanct academic figures receive a self-taught asshole? Wait, rollback rollback:

Some 6 years ago I put up on my blog two chapters of David Foster Wallace's "Infinite Jest" translated into Portuguese, just because. Back then some big shot professor from a University down South sent me an email complimenting me on the quality of the work. Another few pleasant emails were exchanged and I thought that was that. Unbeknownst to me, he started putting in a good word for me with the publishing houses he knew (something very kind and even slightly risky, considering that I don't even have a degree in anything), and then last year I was contacted by some people who, out of desperation, decided to test me, a complete nobody, for a gig translating James Joyce's "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man". I aced it and got the job, translated the thing and now the book is supposed to come out in, I think, two or three months. Which is cool as all creation, but...

See, this book is 1 of a series of 3 that this publishing house is gonna put out. It's gonna be "Dubliners", "Stephen Hero" and then "A Portrait(...)". The first two were translated by a real translator (you know what I mean), an aged professor who spits academic titles and professional accomplishments every time he coughs. He is introduced in the book flap with a thick paragraph detailing his career accomplishments. As for me, I noticed no one asked me to provide details about my formation. I wouldn't have anything to show for it anyway, but... just what the hell will they say about me in the book flap? "He followed us home?". Anyway, this is just an offshoot worry from the main branch of worries, as I said in the beginning of the post:

This Friday and Saturday they'll celebrate Bloomsday in Sao Paulo and I'm supposed to go there and meet the editor, the other translator, the dude who put in good words for me way back (he now works for the most prestigious publishing house in Brazil, and he just put out his last translation... "Ulysses" - just to hammer in the A-league aspect of the thing). I'm giving you all this information so perhaps you can empathize with me here, because at some point someone is bound to ask what's my formation, and the only answer I can give is "Natural inclination and boredom at work". Not good. Not good at all. Also my literary knowledge is patchy as all shit, considering that it has always been the product of my interests and whims at a certain time, and not of a consistent study plan (the list of woes continues like this for a while). Fuck, well, what's the worse that could happen, right?

(God, luckily there will be plenty of whiskey there...)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 02:40:44 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.
Pages: 1 ... 773 774 [775] 776 777 ... 878   Go Up