Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1342824 times)

0 Members and 184 Guests are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11656 on: June 20, 2012, 06:10:07 pm »

So. The thing was pretty anticlimactic, but went by pretty harmlessly. The editors weren't much of a talkative bunch to begin with, and after introductions I just sort of glided here and there in the outskirts of different groups, not being acknowledged and not really bothering to join in. The discrepancy in formative backgrounds made the possibility of meaningful conversation close to null, as I quickly noticed that their angle vis-a-vis the whole literature thing wasn't the same as mine. They were the professional literati, the ones who dedicate their whole lives to one subject, to one author only, who write and dissect and give lectures about pretty anemic stuff like "The Act of Looking in James Joyce's works", or "The Self-Reflexive Schmackity-doo in Sterne", people who deal with Literature not as a personal, intimate matter, but using like gloves and tweezers of Pavlovian veneration, worshiping the letter of the law but not its spirit. Cottage industry people, in short. How could I hope to make them see things as I see them without being "that person" in the party?

The issue of my non-existent professional & academic background was touched only briefly and they seemed to be cool with that (as far as I could tell; again, they weren't the easiest people to read. I have to keep reminding myself that these are Literature people, and probably deep down a bunch of scaredy-cats - privileged, big city scaredy-cats). Luckily the lectures meant that there wasn't going to be a lot of socializing anyway (everybody kinda left early, no one mentioned the possibility of drinks, which was a shame, as I'm pretty sure Charming Me would have surfaced at some point or other after some Empowerment). Still, the editor told me that I should write my own biographical thing "as best as I could" (while looking at me like if I was a 3 dollar bill). I'm so fucked.

Also I managed to almost not embarrass myself: I was gonna compliment the Ulysses translator, the guy who got me this gig, but unfortunately there were strangers listening, and that really messes my shit. What was supposed to be a well articulated (and honest: dude really nailed the thing, I think) praise came out as "Umf, muffleuffgmh uhm fgmam". Shit. Oh, and there was a very favorable piece about my translation in the literature section of one of the biggest papers in the country, which was good. Hopefully I'll be able to get more gigs (even though I'm not holding my breath).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 06:15:03 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11657 on: June 20, 2012, 08:09:33 pm »

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11658 on: June 20, 2012, 10:41:28 pm »

Today, I am gonna participate in a Moth-like event. We'll see what happens.

Tomorrow, I am going to finally fuck*ng see Built to Spill and I hope that they actually play "Tomorrow".

I AM GONNA CROSS BUILT TO SPILL AND WILCO OFF MY LIST THIS SUMMER! BECAUSE I AM RAD!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11659 on: June 21, 2012, 12:04:57 am »

I'll give you a can for crossing Wilco off your list. Hopefully they'll come back to Houston again soon.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11660 on: June 21, 2012, 12:41:20 am »

I'm hoping the go away and erase the last seven years, but I won't be a downer.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11661 on: June 21, 2012, 05:05:46 am »

Today, I am gonna participate in a Moth-like event. We'll see what happens.

Tomorrow, I am going to finally fuck*ng see Built to Spill and I hope that they actually play "Tomorrow".

I AM GONNA CROSS BUILT TO SPILL AND WILCO OFF MY LIST THIS SUMMER! BECAUSE I AM RAD!

I'm really interested to hear what the setlist is like. And I hope you have a fantastic time.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11662 on: June 21, 2012, 01:04:24 pm »

I am seeing Wilco at Wolf Trap in July. w00t
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11663 on: June 22, 2012, 02:03:43 am »

It is really cute to me that whenever I communicate with my grandparents over the internet, they seem to forget that I do not speak Spanish. Hoorah for Google Translate. I usually try to figure it out/write a response first and then double check it. This time the only mistake was a missing accent.

(that, and that I'm sure it sounded like it was written by a 2nd grader.)

My current guitar project is to figure out how to play the vocal melodies of songs I like. This is going well. I am a dork because I am starting out with songs by my talented friend.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11664 on: June 22, 2012, 11:04:36 am »

(that, and that I'm sure it sounded like it was written by a 2nd grader.)

They probably think that that is cute, too.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11665 on: June 22, 2012, 12:17:43 pm »

TIG yell EAT SHIT AND DIE at my phone and it translated that to a text message. Technology.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11666 on: June 22, 2012, 07:59:19 pm »

Built to Spill was so good. Very heavy on the "There's Nothing Wrong With Love" album.

STAB and IN THE MORNING were punishing in particular.

Very very very good. The guitar is not supposed to be able to do those things.

It turns out that this was the first stop on their East Coast tour and maybe that explains why they did a free show sponsored by a medium sized city to get people to a downtown being refurbished, to have a lower pressure situation if there was some rust on the gears. There wasn't as far as I could tell, you know, but they did apologize for "looking like they weren't having a good time"... according to Doug, they were having a great time it was just that they hadn't played together in three months, they were just concentrating.

So good. So good.

Matthew Sweet, however, is a fairly bitter man whose voice is gone and seems to have gained about ninety pounds. As a Fat, I can point this out.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11667 on: June 22, 2012, 08:11:57 pm »

Today I am buying new shoes for the first time in at least 7 years.  Like, in that time I have only owned maybe three low top black converse, two low top white converse and one all black low top converse.

I got all white vans authentics.  Never had straight up all white shoes, I think I like them more than cons with their colored stripes but they don't feel as good yet.  Exciting and scary!  If I like these ill buy black and black and white one!
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11668 on: June 22, 2012, 08:50:57 pm »

Oh, if they're still high quaility like they were back in the day, Vans get super comfy after you break them in a bit.  I loved my Vans back in the day.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11669 on: June 22, 2012, 09:01:17 pm »

I've never had Vans (I have narrow feet and Vans tend to run wide) but I wear Converse and assorted varieties of Skechers almost exclusively. I like that Skechers has a lot of styles that look OK with a skirt or dress, but that also offer enough support that I can run around a playground with my kids in them. And they are not super-expensive, but they hold up well.

I try to buy one pair a year. Otherwise, I end up having all my shoes fall apart at once and have to spend tons of money replacing them all at the same time.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 878   Go Up