Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: 1 ... 785 786 [787] 788 789 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1347841 times)

0 Members and 206 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11790 on: July 27, 2012, 01:33:23 pm »

Does this store have an "As Seen on Table Top" shelf? If not, why is your store so shitty?
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11791 on: July 27, 2012, 02:56:21 pm »

Does this store have an "As Seen on Table Top" shelf? If not, why is your store so shitty?

Actually, this came up in conversation when we were talking about the new direction Boss want to take with the store. There was talk of whether or not it is legal for us to link to TableTop videos via our facebook page (I don't see how it couldn't be; BFF is going to use her paralegal skills to find out for sure) and then offer in-store demos of the games Wheaton features the following weekend.

Boss wants to do away with dealing with Games Workshop and minigames in general; the markup is so infinitesimal that he finds it not worth the hassle. Some of the regulars mightwill complain, but there is another stoe in the area that caters more specifically to minigamers, and Boss doesn't mind losing business to them. Boss wants to court the Magic players, who are the store's bread and butter, and also promote more of the German-style board games that are becoming more mainstream these days. Which means lots and lots of Days of Wonder, Rio Grande, Mayfair, etc. Right up my alley, in other words.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11792 on: July 27, 2012, 03:00:35 pm »

By minigames you mean war games and such that use minis?

I'm anxiously awaiting the mail today because I should be getting my copy of Village (2012 Spiel des Jahres Kennerspiel Winner). The lady also bought us the first expansion for Kingdom Builder (2012 Spiel des Jahres Winner).
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11793 on: July 27, 2012, 04:03:10 pm »

Ugh, probably have strep throat.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11794 on: July 27, 2012, 04:18:56 pm »

By minigames you mean war games and such that use minis?


Yes. Warhammer, Star Fleet Battles, Mallifaux, the whole shebang.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11795 on: July 27, 2012, 04:58:28 pm »

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11796 on: July 29, 2012, 06:04:28 am »

Got off work just in time to go to the after-party for the World Naked Bike Ride STL. Lots of people I know were naked/topless/wearing something that only covered their downstairs junk. I got pressured into stripping down to my briefs. So that was fun. Danced around and got sweaty. Tomorrow: big moving day. I'm sure it will be 100 degrees.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11797 on: July 29, 2012, 12:56:20 pm »

That reminds me, I forgot to mention the beach I went to was nude, which made it extra nice. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11798 on: July 29, 2012, 02:48:58 pm »

Update: not 100 degrees, just raining.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11799 on: July 29, 2012, 04:04:32 pm »

Sucks for you, inev. It's hard to say what's worse -- rain or heat. Either way you're screwed.

Today I'm gonna realize that...I am a 33-year-old game store clerk. This was not really my plan when I applied to graduate school. But then, I guess it was not Wombat's plan to shovel shit at a zoo when she started her PhD, either, and that seems to have turned out pretty well.

Apparently, when Mom told Dad about my new job, his response was an eye roll.

On a related note, my BFF had been unemployed for over a year until we both got offered jobs at the game store. Even her sister hasn't been able to get her a job at the bookstore she (the sister) manages. Is it conceited to think that my applying for the job and emphasizing our friendship sealed the deal on this job for her?

She seems to be cursed when it comes to jobhunting (she's great on paper and always gets interviewed but apparently bombs the interviews, because she never gets an offer), whereas I have never interviewed for a job that I didn't get. I apparently interview very well, because there have been at least two occasions where the hiring manager made me an offer on the spot and cancelled his other interviews.

So maybe my interview karma balanced hers out, because I'm sure Boss is smart enough to realize that he really couldn't offer the job to one of us without hiring the other. I think she is just as qualified as I am and that we are so much alike in so many ways (but with slightly different skillsets) that hiring us both is almost like hiring one employee, because we collaborate so well. And I think that she brings a lot of things to the table that I don't have (like accounting skills) and that between the two of us and Boss (who has already started soliciting ideas about how we can improve the way things are run) we can totally jam out with our gams out. For these reasons and others, I would not have accepted the job if he hadn't offered the other open slot to my BFF.

So is it bad to think that she probably wouldn't have gotten the job if I hadn't co-applied? Not because of her skills, but because of her horrible rotten luck with jobs?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11800 on: July 29, 2012, 04:10:48 pm »

It's only bad if you tell her that.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11801 on: July 29, 2012, 06:38:31 pm »

It's only bad if you tell her that.

It's definitely worse if I tell her that. But I feel bad just for THINKING it.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11802 on: July 29, 2012, 07:26:35 pm »

Maybe instead you should feel good about being her lucky charm?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11803 on: July 31, 2012, 03:33:39 am »

An unpleasant human tendency: when my completely irresponsible roommate chastises me for leaving the front door unlocked, my impulse is to scream at him about all the times I have had to take care of shit he fucked up. When, really, that has no bearing on whether it was dumb to leave the front door unlocked. Because clearly it was.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11804 on: July 31, 2012, 04:14:25 am »

Today, I am in Day Three of Having My Damn Laptop In The Shop Again.

Today, at least, I got to borrow my girlfriend's laptop briefly to say hello.

Hello.

(I am going crazier than usual without a laptop.)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 785 786 [787] 788 789 ... 878   Go Up