Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1342826 times)

0 Members and 184 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11850 on: August 27, 2012, 02:36:39 pm »

So does being sauced make you more or less difficult to bargin with?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11851 on: August 27, 2012, 07:56:30 pm »

Today I learned that googling "groomsmen gift" just gets you the absolute worst shit. Ain't nobody want cufflinks with my name on them or a tumbler with my signature etched into it. Damn, I need good ideas, not this crap.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11852 on: August 27, 2012, 08:50:35 pm »

Isn't that because there is a flaw in the assumption that "groomsmen" is a useful category of person? I mean, you might be able to get useful gift advice for groups of people if you think about their permanent characteristics, like "animal lover", but "groomsmen" is something they are for only a few hours. It's not a useful generalization.

Aren't these people you know well? Shouldn't you just give them things you know they like?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11853 on: August 27, 2012, 09:13:17 pm »

Yeah man, just don't give them shit with yer initials or the date of yer wedding or whatever.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11854 on: August 27, 2012, 09:14:10 pm »

Aren't these people you know well? Shouldn't you just give them things you know they like?

Its not a birthday present. Every groomsmen gets the same thing.

Today I learned that googling "groomsmen gift" just gets you the absolute worst shit. Ain't nobody want cufflinks with my name on them or a tumbler with my signature etched into it. Damn, I need good ideas, not this crap.

Well you don't put your name on it. You put their initials/whatever on it - if you want to go that whole personalized route. And avoid the date thing: "Hey man, what's that date on your flask? Your anniversary?" "No. its the day my boy Cort got married. I want to remember that day of his life forever."

This page contains basically every groomsmen gift I have ever seen or received: http://www.exclusivelyweddings.com/Weddings/Wedding-Party-Gifts/Groomsmen-Gifts/Best-Groomsmen-Gifts?viewall=true

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 09:18:04 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11855 on: August 27, 2012, 09:30:39 pm »

Who makes these rules? Why waste money on crap that people don't want just because you read in a magazine that they are all supposed to get the same thing?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11856 on: August 27, 2012, 09:50:17 pm »

Who makes these rules? Why waste money on crap that people don't want just because you read in a magazine that they are all supposed to get the same thing?

This is my problem. I was hoping to find ideas for non-traditional gifts because the traditional ones all suck donkey balls. It's mostly chrome shit with either their initials (which I get at least kind of) or our names and the date (which is hell of lame). Or it's "man" stuff like college logo replacement grill bars and signs that say "<name>'s Man Cave!" And the cufflinks, oh lord, the cufflinks. There are maybe 3 people on earth who actually want to receive cufflinks as a gift. The bride has it easy as all her girls are getting mugs from Claymonster Pottery

The main problem is my cousin who I know his interests but they're all things I don't know enough about to choose a meaningful gift. Like golf.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11857 on: August 27, 2012, 10:20:10 pm »

Make it something that they will use, and that will remind them of you every time they pull it out. Like a copy of Fluxx or similar inexpensive card game. If you want to be cute, you can customize the box with a printed paper overwrap and add a few "make your own rule" cards that reference your wedding, your relationship with the groomsman, or something related to the occasion.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11858 on: August 27, 2012, 10:49:47 pm »

Why can't the men and women get the same gifts? Do men not drink from mugs?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11859 on: August 27, 2012, 11:23:21 pm »

Why can't the men and women get the same gifts? Do men not drink from mugs?

It's more that the mugs are cutesy and I know my cousin wouldn't really appreciate it. I'd like to get them something he'd like/use. I mean, I like him and all, it's just our overlap of shared interests doesn't cover a lot of ground. There's not a lot of Beastie Boys stuff that's appropriate, for example.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11860 on: August 27, 2012, 11:37:53 pm »

One time my roommate got a knife with his initials on it for this- it would be pretty awesome but it also has the date. 

I live in Colorado and am different from you, but around here almost everybody needs a nice folding knife like 5-15 times a year, but only really for emergency protection, so a lot (like myself) just won't have one.  Try to think of something like that but don't put initials or a date on it, would be my advice.  If someone was all here is a nice money clip, I'd be all, oh dope.  If someone did the same thing but it had my initials on it I would put it in a drawer and never use or think about it.  I am weird and particular about shit though, so, yeah...
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11861 on: August 27, 2012, 11:41:18 pm »

The best groomsmen gift I've received was a pair of really good flip-flops/sandals. It was a destination wedding in the Caribbean, so it made sense. I got my dudes Swiss army knives, that's at least useful.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11862 on: August 28, 2012, 12:14:17 am »

I got a little whiskey flask with my name engraved on it for one groomsman gift.

Another friend gave me a copy of "Weird New York" like a hardcover guide to strange tourist traps around NY state.

Both of these things were fine gifts.

I got a Leatherman utility knife as a parting gift from a film set once, that I still use on rare occasion.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11863 on: August 28, 2012, 02:49:43 am »

Get 'em some fuck*ng brass knuckles.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11864 on: August 28, 2012, 04:13:52 am »

Leathermans (Leathermen?) are great groomsman gifts, unless your wedding party is full of the kinds of dudes who already own one.

Pedro got a really nice canvas beach chair once. That gets heck of used about four times a year, we'd never have gotten one that nice for ourselves but it is awesome to have.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 878   Go Up