Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348838 times)

0 Members and 224 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12165 on: November 26, 2012, 11:36:38 pm »

I did my part and went to a store to return something today. But the man won. No returns.

I hate that man.

But it was a locally-owned business so it doesn't count as The Man. Also, he let you do an exchange, so you didn't actually lose anything.

The dangers of having your spouse on the board with you -- I'm going to have to make sure I don't play fast & loose with my facts if you're going to be hanging around here.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12166 on: November 27, 2012, 03:31:34 am »

TIG read this exchange and get a big chuckle.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12167 on: November 27, 2012, 03:43:33 am »

Today I'm gonna realize that someone paid me 250 dollars to write a parody of Twas The Night Before Christmas with vampires and... yeah, life is weird.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12168 on: November 27, 2012, 08:08:45 pm »

Make sure you post while under the influence of dental anaesthetic.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12169 on: November 27, 2012, 10:19:42 pm »

Quietly puts trumpet under lock and key.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12170 on: November 27, 2012, 10:36:58 pm »

Quote from: Asherdan
You wrote something and let someone else actually read it and pay you for it?

It's baby steps but yeah.

A two page poem is not a four-hundred page novel or ninety-five page screenplay but yes.

Baby steps.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12171 on: November 28, 2012, 12:18:49 am »

That seems like really good pay for a two page poem.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12172 on: November 28, 2012, 01:02:22 am »

Yeah, a friend of mine who makes her living writing and editing e-books for people commissioned me kinda out of the blue.

Needed it for part of a project.

Seems like almost too much money for a coupla hours of work but if the money's green I can't comp...leen?

Can I mispronounce "complain" to make the rhyme work?

(To be fair, I am genuinely very very good at parody writing. It is a skill that not everyone appreciates and it is not always that useful or valuable but I am kinda great at that kind of writing.)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12173 on: November 28, 2012, 01:57:32 am »

They're not just paying for the two hours, though. They're paying for your greatness. I'm serious - the point is that you can do it, and apparently this person thinks she can't, or not nearly as well, even if she put in a lot more hours. Right?

But, most people who pay writers don't realize that. So good for you.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12174 on: November 28, 2012, 02:31:18 am »

(To be fair, I am genuinely very very good at parody writing. It is a skill that not everyone appreciates and it is not always that useful or valuable but I am kinda great at that kind of writing.)

Dude, the shit you put on Facebook is funnier than Saturday Night Live. Apply for that job.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12175 on: November 28, 2012, 02:35:48 am »

Yay Smets!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12176 on: November 28, 2012, 03:34:45 pm »

...remember that sometimes you just have to step away when someone IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12177 on: November 28, 2012, 05:34:53 pm »

Seems like almost too much money for a coupla hours of work but if the money's green I can't comp...leen?

"In business, you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate." -Chester L. Karrass

Hearing that for the first time was a revelation for me. I used to think there was a pay/effort ratio. Then I thought it was pay/time. Then pay/value created. The more I work, the more I see those connections only exist if you can't get away from them. They're usually make-believe. I basically feel like I've tricked people into thinking it's a good idea to pay me as much as they do. I spend most of my time trying to do good work, but some of my time trying to figure out how to trick them harder.

If you think of money as some sort of score or measure of worth, you will either A) get little money and feel worthless or B) get lots of money and feel like a fraud. I'm glad that you are making steps from being rad to being rad for money. Money is great. Just remember to use it as legal tender and not as a yardstick.

You've all probably heard all this before, but it's been a big deal for me to learn it, and I'm supposed to be a grown man.

(To be fair, I am genuinely very very good at parody writing. It is a skill that not everyone appreciates and it is not always that useful or valuable but I am kinda great at that kind of writing.)

I'll bet. Is there any chance we can see this in advance? Can we buy it soon?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12178 on: November 28, 2012, 05:47:42 pm »

Hey, are pocket watches still a thing?

I have a thing in my pocket that I use to check the time. It's better than the old ones, because it also has the internet on it and even makes phone calls.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12179 on: November 28, 2012, 06:20:02 pm »

Pedro has a few pocket watches. One of them was a gift from me to him on our wedding day. They are not terribly useful, but they are A Hallmark of Classiness, IMHO.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 878   Go Up