I keep Amazon wishlists for myself and my kids, they are detailed and up-to-date. I also include (in the "comments" field) local stores that stock the items in question because I know not everyone likes to shop online (and some people in my family are last-minute shoppers). I've found that people love wishlists for the kids, but nobody ever wants to buy me anything off mine. Because I want weird things, apparently. (We've talked about this before.)
My list this year includes Legos, board games, video games, a bunch of nerdy t-shirts, a couple of beads for my Pandora bracelet, some sewing and knitting books, and gift cards to some places I like to go. I am doing the same thing as Inev where I'm trying to have less stuff and to only have stuff I love. But my Mom keeps buying me kitchen gadgets with only one function and fancy handbags that I never use (because I wear jeans and carry a wallet like a boy).