Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: 1 ... 829 830 [831] 832 833 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1344774 times)

0 Members and 130 Guests are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12450 on: January 06, 2013, 04:02:57 am »

I LEARNED SOMETHING TODAY
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12451 on: January 06, 2013, 05:00:05 am »

i have made cupcakes many times.  my brain doesnt do all that stuff about baking though, so its less traumatic.

I generally hate baking, so there's that.  And my kitchen isn't well suited to any endeavors that require enough space to make a dozen of anything.  So for me, paying $20 to not have to bake is extremely reasonable if the cupcakes are good.  But it's hard to find a really good cupcake 'round here.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12452 on: January 06, 2013, 06:28:24 am »

oh in case you're wondering, it was my best paella yet. the smokiness was present but subtle, the octopus was only just chewy, not tough, and flavorful. if anything, the chicken stood out as wrong because the thighs didn't quite fall apart to fit the dish. they stayed whole, and were delicious, but too big for anybody to just have a spoonful. i enjoyed peeling the shrimp after cooking. i'm sure it pissed a few people off, but goddamnit i've never had shrimp cook so just-as-desired.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12453 on: January 06, 2013, 02:46:12 pm »

That sounds fantastic by the way.  I've never had paella. There's been a  mostly recent increase in Spanish places here, but none close to home.  The one Spanish place I've been to is a tapas only place.  I'd really like to try paella.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12454 on: January 07, 2013, 07:32:17 am »

I went to a paella party once. I wrote a song about it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12455 on: January 07, 2013, 08:25:34 am »

In a movie I was watching the other day, this French man pronounced it "pay-la" and I laughed.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12456 on: January 07, 2013, 12:07:43 pm »

On a vaguely related note:  Ibiza.  I recently learned the "proper" pronunciation, and it blew my mind.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12457 on: January 07, 2013, 03:21:42 pm »

That sounds fantastic by the way.  I've never had paella. There's been a  mostly recent increase in Spanish places here, but none close to home.  The one Spanish place I've been to is a tapas only place.  I'd really like to try paella.

I have had paella a few times, and have gotten a little bit of sand in at least one bite each of those times, even when I got it at fancy places. I wonder if it is impossible to make paella without getting sand in it. Stuff is worth it - all saffron kissed stationary sea animals drained into some rice, like eating a reef.

Logged
[expletive deleted]

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12458 on: January 07, 2013, 03:25:14 pm »

I have never been able to get myself to like saffron. I figure this is just as well since I don't need another expensive culinary habit.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12459 on: January 07, 2013, 03:40:49 pm »

sand? SAND? fuck no there ain't no sand in my paella. i wasn't using any bivalves though - i suppose i can see how that might happen with, say, oysters in it.

tell you what though, the octopus really completed this one. little chunks of barely-chewy octopus all scattered through the rice... with just a hint of lovely saffron flavor. ridiculous that a whole tablespoon of saffron only gave it a hint of the flavor i wanted, but then again my pan can feed 70.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12460 on: January 07, 2013, 04:06:26 pm »

Yum!  I occasionally end up with a bit of sand in clam chowders I've had, and that won't stop me if it's good stuff.  Paella is on my "to try" list.  Seems like the sort of thing to try done "right" before attempting at home with no ground knowledge.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12461 on: January 07, 2013, 07:57:14 pm »

Today I'm gonna share this thing from the storytelling event I was involved in with you guys because it involves the Achewood phrase "Rough Chuckles"...

http://uticafirefly.com/mike-cecconi-rough-chuckles
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12462 on: January 07, 2013, 09:59:47 pm »

I thoroughly enjoyed that dude. I thought I was listening to Ira Glass up in here.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12463 on: January 07, 2013, 10:44:13 pm »

Yeah, that is totally a This American Life voice.

You know they take submissions? Unfortunately they don't want audio, just a written pitch.
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/about/submissions
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12464 on: January 07, 2013, 10:53:27 pm »

I've actually sent pitches to TAL before... polite rejections only.

If I ever have another idea for 'em, I'll try again, of course

And thank you for the compliments! I am hammering away at performance and writing. I am trying.

If this showcase I'm gonna be a part of in Utica on the 20th goes well, it could lead to a few Things maybe.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 829 830 [831] 832 833 ... 878   Go Up