Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1341695 times)

0 Members and 211 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12570 on: February 13, 2013, 09:33:30 pm »

Cans for Hash Wed.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12571 on: February 14, 2013, 12:46:58 am »

Cans for Hash Wed.

Yes, cans you can turn into tiny bongs. Much better than Catholic guilt any day!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12572 on: February 14, 2013, 04:50:09 pm »

Only tangentially related: when the pup gets excited, he does what I call "mouthing," which is not actually biting, but more putting his open mouth on my hands without use of teeth while playing. Not cool because the next step is actual biting, which is 100% not allowed, and something I especially want to train out of him before Tokyo baby arrives. Affective response to put a stop to it? I shove my whole damn hand in his mouth everytime he tries that move.  After a couple WTF reactions from him, he no longer tries this.  You want a hand in your mouth?  You get a WHOLE hand in your mouth!  Shocked corgi face is pretty funny.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12573 on: February 14, 2013, 05:39:53 pm »

Only tangentially related: when the pup gets excited, he does what I call "mouthing," which is not actually biting, but more putting his open mouth on my hands without use of teeth while playing. Not cool because the next step is actual biting, which is 100% not allowed, and something I especially want to train out of him before Tokyo baby arrives.

Actually most dog trainers think it's important for a dog to understand how to mouth a human gently. One of the things that puppies learn when playing rough with each other is exactly how hard you have to bite for it to hurt. Because we don't have fur, how hard it hurts on a person is different, and a dog should know this:
Quote
Dogs have one defense—their teeth. Every dog can bite. If frightened enough, or in pain or threatened, your dog will bite. That doesn't in any way make him a "bad" dog. It makes him a dog. It's your responsibility, therefore, to teach your dog that humans are fragile. If you teach your dog bite inhibition, that training will carry over even if he's later in a position where he feels forced to bite.
http://www.clickertraining.com/node/725

It sounds like your dog already knows how to mouth gently and that's a good thing, so I wouldn't respond to this with punishment.  You do want to teach him that that's not appropriate play, which you can do by simply stopping play. If he learns that mouth on hand means you stop playing with him, that will work just as well. Just get up, walk away, ignore him for a bit.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12574 on: February 14, 2013, 07:57:08 pm »

Thanks for that wombat, I'd never thought of it that way, and he is gentle.  It's just something I started in prep for the coming little one cause I just think it would be unacceptable for him to mouth a baby, at all.   I can't use a clicker.  Whatever his previous owners did, clicking a clicker means run, hide and cower in fear.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12575 on: February 14, 2013, 08:19:46 pm »

I hope this petite 30-something married customer at work doesn't know (does know?) that she is my imaginary valentine.
I have a Thing for women who always seem frazzled. Not to mention the whole "hipster mom" vibe, holy cow.

I hate working the opening shift while it's happening, but the part where it's over and I have the rest of the day to myself makes it so worth it. What a great feeling.

Today I'm gonna try to find a brain doctor to give me some pills. This whole "learn to cope" strategy is definitely important to keep working on, but is not sufficient.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12576 on: February 14, 2013, 08:57:32 pm »

Thanks for that wombat, I'd never thought of it that way, and he is gentle.  It's just something I started in prep for the coming little one cause I just think it would be unacceptable for him to mouth a baby, at all.   I can't use a clicker.  Whatever his previous owners did, clicking a clicker means run, hide and cower in fear.

I don't suggest a clicker for this - I just thought that link had a good explanation of why you need to teach a soft mouth. People who are really good at clicker training want to train everything with a clicker but for a lot of things it's more complexity than you need. He's already got a soft mouth, so now if you want to teach him not to mouth even in play, you just need to be consistent that "mouth on skin" always means "play is over." Simple cause and effect.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12577 on: February 14, 2013, 10:48:34 pm »

TIG buy tulips instead of roses. Fuck quadruple price gouge-roses. Hopefully the special lady will prefer to date a man who isn't a chump. Maybe this will blow up in my face. BONZAI
Logged
[expletive deleted]

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12578 on: February 14, 2013, 11:31:06 pm »

today the dude "who isn't a chump" spends his money on a different slowly dying pretty plant.

I am 100% a sucker for Valentine's day and romance and whatever, but I can't wrap my head around giving flowers.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12579 on: February 14, 2013, 11:47:19 pm »

Today I did the same thing I do every day: ski, jump off big rocks, and ski some more. It certainly didn't suck I'll tell you what.


Time to eat a billion tacos, drink a thousand beers, and have a Skype date with that special lady who is currently 600 miles too far.
Logged

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12580 on: February 15, 2013, 02:13:20 am »

Race you to proper inebriation!

 Tacos and beer got replaced with steak and scotch because goddammit I'm worth it.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12581 on: February 15, 2013, 02:46:03 am »

TIG see the little one, and get the news that everything is going to be okay.



Best V day ever.  Second best was when I was drunk with hubby in Cuba and he squirted crab juice on the face of a lady one table over and I over-fed a sick stray cat until it barfed on the floor of the open air restaurant.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 06:23:14 am by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12582 on: February 15, 2013, 03:46:41 am »

All I gotta say is that baby must be pretty special if he tops your Cuba Shenanigans.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12583 on: February 15, 2013, 02:39:04 pm »

TIG see the little one, and get the news that everything is going to be okay.

SO glad to hear this. Right on.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12584 on: February 15, 2013, 02:42:27 pm »

HOO'''YAAAH!

Good call on the scotch, Trouters, I upgraded to a whiskey myself.

Canadian Mist isn't exactly an "upgrade"
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 878   Go Up