Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: 1 ... 850 851 [852] 853 854 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1341608 times)

0 Members and 217 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12765 on: April 01, 2013, 04:18:00 am »

Hope all you all rocketd your Sunday Funday!

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12766 on: April 01, 2013, 04:20:38 am »

Last night I enjoyed a wonderful Easter "Seder" with my beautiful parents. Dad loves my beans with sausage. We also had pork chops and the last of the leftover dressing from Christmas that I have been keeping in the freezer.

After dinner we watched Shout at the Devil, a really dumb, but fun movie on the Netflix. Lots of stuff gets blown up.

Today I made hash browns for the first time ever. It's a skill I did not know I possessed. Apparently all you need to do is shred a potato and throw it in a skillet with some oil. Couldn't be easier.

Happy Easter, he is risen.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12767 on: April 01, 2013, 04:41:59 am »

my hash browns are never crispy enough. Hmmm.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12768 on: April 01, 2013, 06:21:16 am »

according to my research, no hash browns exist that are crispy enough

excuse me, i didn't order floppy matchsticks.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12769 on: April 01, 2013, 12:22:27 pm »

The hash browns recipe in the Achewood cookbook is actually really good. They're not shredded. Cut the potatoes in cubes the size of computer keys and put them in the pan and leave them the fuck alone until they brown before you turn them over. That's it. The leaving them the fuck alone is the really important part.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12770 on: April 01, 2013, 12:25:45 pm »

In cooking and in life I've always had the most trouble with that part.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12771 on: April 01, 2013, 01:41:12 pm »

To the best of my knowledge I've never eaten hashbrowns.

Today's Dr. McNinja has a pretty fine alt text.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12772 on: April 01, 2013, 03:05:57 pm »

The hash browns recipe in the Achewood cookbook is actually really good. They're not shredded. Cut the potatoes in cubes the size of computer keys and put them in the pan and leave them the fuck alone until they brown before you turn them over. That's it. The leaving them the fuck alone is the really important part.

My mother-in-law used to do something similar to that, only the potatoes were cut a little bigger and parboiled before frying them in an inch of butter.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12773 on: April 01, 2013, 03:36:01 pm »

sorry folks, those ain't hash browns. they're home fries. hash browns is grated tates.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12774 on: April 01, 2013, 04:49:12 pm »

You're right - he calls them home fries. But I would have brought them up in the context even if I'd remembered that, because they are better than any hash browns I have ever had.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12775 on: April 01, 2013, 06:36:14 pm »

People really love to talk about hash browns, it seems. There was a lot of content in my post, but it's only hash browns that gets talked about. It's the same on Facebook. Not complaining, just making note.

PS- My hash browns were nice and crunchy.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12776 on: April 01, 2013, 11:19:24 pm »

I hope that no matter how old I get or how many other jobs I do, I always remember how much one nice interaction with a customer can cheer me up. A local politician who I met a few months ago just came in and made a point of coming over to say hi and shoot the shit for a minute. He's got my vote for life. I feel similarly about the guy who used to take extra-long smoke breaks to talk to me when I had my weird curbside service job.

Lately I am back in an intellectual/emotional rut of thinking everyone on earth is a piece of shit deep down. Nice moments like that make me forget that for a minute.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12777 on: April 03, 2013, 05:44:02 pm »

Home fries should taste like hot slugs. Everyone knows that.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12778 on: April 03, 2013, 06:13:37 pm »

Home fries should taste like hot slugs. Everyone knows that.

Are you telling us you know how Mrs. John Lithgow feels?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12779 on: April 03, 2013, 09:10:09 pm »

I usually cook up 5 or ten pounds of home fries when I throw a party, late at night. People are hammered and then someone smells them cooking and by the time they find me to tell me how good it smells it is like the perfect time to take them out. I put em in a giant bowl with a couple smaller bowls of mayo or ketchup nearby, and they just disappear so damn fast. It's like that hour when drunk folks ought to be heading out for 3am pizza or ruining my bathroom, but some good hot potato just solves that and people can get in their cars and drunk drivetake a cab home. I totally derived my recipe from Onstad's cookbook.
Logged
[expletive deleted]
Pages: 1 ... 850 851 [852] 853 854 ... 878   Go Up