Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Dog Has No Nose.

Pages: 1 ... 852 853 [854] 855 856 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1343495 times)

0 Members and 201 Guests are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12795 on: April 08, 2013, 04:39:05 pm »

We went into the city yesterday, expecting it to be peak cherry blossom time. It wasn't quite--there were a few trees in full bloom, and some others just getting started. But it was a really nice day overall. Yeah, there were crowds, but for the most part it was bearable. Got the kids to the Jefferson Memorial, the FDR memorial (perhaps my favorite such thing in DC), and the relatively new MLK memorial, which I hadn't seen yet, and I think is much more majestic than it was originally given credit for. A good day to be out and about.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12796 on: April 08, 2013, 05:25:22 pm »

...Think about how utterly, irretrievably, hopelessly toxic, fucked up beyond any possibility of recovery the political/psychic environment in my country has become since the ascent of the left wing Workers' Party in Brazil 20 years ago. Most recent example: the President's party, along with its coterie of remora-like bottom-feeder copartisans have... declared their staunch support for North Korea. Because, you see, anything (and I mean ANYTHING) is justified as long as it's against the US. Today, we drink.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 05:28:44 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12797 on: April 08, 2013, 08:24:28 pm »

...Think about how utterly, irretrievably, hopelessly toxic, fucked up beyond any possibility of recovery the political/psychic environment in my country has become since the ascent of the left wing Workers' Party in Brazil 20 years ago. Most recent example: the President's party, along with its coterie of remora-like bottom-feeder copartisans have... declared their staunch support for North Korea. Because, you see, anything (and I mean ANYTHING) is justified as long as it's against the US. Today, we drink.



CAIPIRINHAS!!!
Logged
[expletive deleted]

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12798 on: April 08, 2013, 08:45:00 pm »

I talked to a lady yesterday who just graduated from one of the urban planning programs I want to apply to-- UNC. I asked her a bunch of questions and she basically said "you went to WashU, you're smart, and you are from North Carolina... I think you can relax a little bit."

If you come to grad school at UNC, you are hereby required to let me know if you need someplace to stay while you apartment shop. We're about 25 minutes from UNC and while I don't know the campus as thoroughly as a true alum, I did my grad school minor there and we know people who live in Chapel Hill, so we can show you around a little bit.

You can sleep in Hero's room if you don't mind the princess theme. Paul found it quite comfortable and nobody got axe murdered in the slightest.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12799 on: April 08, 2013, 08:58:41 pm »

nobody got axe murdered in the slightest.

Always an important feature to look for in lodgings.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12800 on: April 08, 2013, 08:58:54 pm »

CAIPIRINHAS!!!

Whisky, actually, which has been treating me nicely lately. And don't be fooled by our easy smile, tanned skins and gyrating hips, doomglobe. We WILL shiv you in the shin, given the chance.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12801 on: April 09, 2013, 01:18:41 am »

JL, I promise I will do that. It is sad to think of the lifestyle I will give up when I move away from here. Living with 5 of your best friends is pretty great most of the time. And it is so cheap here. I doubt Chapel Hill will have anything that rivals my current house. I live like a king. When we were looking, before we found this place, we found a nearly identical house in a hipper (but more dangerous) neighborhood with a mortgage payment of 900$ a month.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:24:01 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12802 on: April 09, 2013, 01:01:05 pm »

Chapel Hill is a pretty hip town. It's pricier than STL, I'm sure, but even baristas make more there than other places to compensate. It's a real college town sandwiched between two moderately-sized metropolitan areas, so there's a lot to do within driving distance, but CH itself has maintained its quirky, small-town feel.

And it has one HELL of a music scene.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12803 on: April 09, 2013, 05:32:48 pm »

yeah. Right now I pay 300$ a month to live in a huge house with my best buds. And it is a beautiful, 100-year-old house that was recently renovated, with a yard and a small garage. I know Chapel Hill is a hip town. I'm sure it is great to live there. I'm just spoiled by my lifestyle here.

Important: I'm sure the cute babe demographics in Chapel Hill are really different.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12804 on: April 09, 2013, 06:30:16 pm »

Whisky, actually, which has been treating me nicely lately. And don't be fooled by our easy smile, tanned skins and gyrating hips, doomglobe. We WILL shiv you in the shin, given the chance.

The easy smile and gyrating hips are for the English to see.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12805 on: April 09, 2013, 06:45:41 pm »

Important: I'm sure the cute babe demographics in Chapel Hill are really different.

Very likely. There are a TON of cute hipster girls at UNC. Back when I was applying to colleges, there were 2.5 girls for every guy or something like that. I don't know if the numbers have evened out or not, but it's definitely better odds than NC State.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12806 on: April 10, 2013, 12:01:48 pm »

for the English to see.

Canny can-can.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12807 on: April 11, 2013, 12:24:13 pm »

TIG wake up and see my finished home theater. 80 inches of beauty and a 7.1 system.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12808 on: April 12, 2013, 05:30:05 am »

TIG wake up and see my finished home theater. 80 inches of beauty and a 7.1 system.


Sorry man. At least you'll still be able to get glimses of reality from your peripheral vision.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12809 on: April 12, 2013, 06:16:28 pm »

Here is an actual awesome work-related thing that happened today. When I e-mail my people on timesheet signing day, I always do it as a pirate. "Avast, ye scurvy dogs! Batten down the hatches, hoist the mizzenmast, and sign your timesheets after 2 PM. Arrrrrrrrrr." That kind of thing. I figure having your boss hassle you about administrative crap is less annoying if he does it as a pirate.

I had a new guy start this week, so this is the first such e-mail he's received. Otherwise unprompted, he responds "Aye Cap'n, here be me plunder of billable hours.  ARRRRRRRR"

I think he's going to work out fine.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 ... 852 853 [854] 855 856 ... 878   Go Up