Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349288 times)

0 Members and 182 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2007, 11:18:42 pm »

Dawg, it sounds like you are heading in the right direction. Obviously, you know just as much as I do about life, so I won't belabor anything. I will say that at the end of my first marriage, I was pretty depressed that I had pissed away seven years of my life that I wasn't ever going to get back. As time went on, I was able to aprreciate more and more how the future was getting better, as opposed to focusing on how shitty the past had been for me. Now, I can actually look back on that time and see it as a positive experience most of the time, although periodically I feel some regret. Try to be happy - you've got a wonderful family, and that's pretty key. Plus, we all really like you.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2007, 11:36:29 pm »

...

The taxation, governance, police, economy, everything would be LOGICAL and not built to FAIL

...


Government and taxation is always built to fail.

(Edit: Not meant to be a trollish statement or to offend anyone who is gung ho about taxation and governance. You'll find no fight here with me)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 12:00:22 am by NYU »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #137 on: August 05, 2007, 11:38:09 pm »

Oh, Dawg, don't cry. I have been there, but I've managed to convince myself that sometimes to figure out the right thing, or to get to the right thing, you have to do the wrong thing for a year.  Or two.  (Or, thinking of some of my past jobs, eight months that only FELT like a year or two...) At least you have the guts to make the move - I know so many people who just stick with misery out of fear of change. The process sucks, but I believe you will be OK in the long run. 

Good luck!



Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2007, 01:43:32 am »

If the job you want to do is available in your home state, take it.  As much as I love it here, the housing market is insane and I don't know how I'm going to be able to afford to buy anything where I'd want to live... but since my rent's likely to jump another ten percent this year, I'm trying to find options.

Today I'm going to call in sick because I still haven't gotten over whatever that old cream cheese gave me.  Bleh.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2007, 01:45:03 am »

I think you should move back to Ohio because it's so close to Kentucky and your imaginary internet pal August West.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2007, 02:34:47 am »

Or, for instance, Portland, Oreegun.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2007, 05:21:40 am »

Lister, where do you hang your hat? I hate expensive living. Right now I'm renting a house with some old friends and it's pretty damn good. I just need a real job and a car.

And AD...I totally feel your pain. It's so rough being someplace like that. I had a hard enough time in rural AK with just my kitties. I cannot fathom spending $50 on milk for my family per week. I think you should go back home.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2007, 07:14:21 am »

Drive from Boulder to San Francisco.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2007, 09:31:17 am »

Lister, where do you hang your hat? I hate expensive living. Right now I'm renting a house with some old friends and it's pretty damn good. I just need a real job and a car.

I'm in San Diego.  It's freakishly beautiful here, almost all the time, and I love the climate and the food.  Most stuff isn't too much more expensive than anywhere else I've lived (like maybe 5% more on groceries and restaurants, and 10 cents on gas).  Median house prices in the area are north of $600k, though, and the apartments that didn't convert to condos during the boom are now charging like they wish they had.  Still, I see the Pacific on my way in to my job where I can wear shorts and flip-flops and make games go... so all in all it's pretty awesome.

Today I might clean up some of the clutter in my apartment so that I can have maintenance look at my refrigerator.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #144 on: August 06, 2007, 02:18:19 pm »

You can buy hella real estate in Ohio for $500K.  Even in the big cities (Cleveland, Columbus, Cincy), you're looking at a huge McMansion in the burbs or a 2K sq ft condo downtown.   The problem is that most people in Ohio don't make that kind of money.

The cussin' went real good on Friday.  I broke out some old classics and tried new, bold combinations to bring zest to my day.  If edited for TV, it would've been all "Forget you, mother father Chinese dentist."
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #145 on: August 06, 2007, 03:16:30 pm »

Today I'm gonna fly to Boston to put the grand flourish on my thesis research.  They have the private papers of the women I'm researching at the Harvard Library, and this time tomorrow I'll be poring over them raptly. 

Too bad lesbians in the '40s burned most of the good stuff.  But the paper is on her career, not her private life, so my research won't suffer, even if my curiosity isn't satisfied.

I'm also going to begin the longest stretch of time I'll have spent away from my beautiful son.  They'll drop me off at the airport at 5:30 tonight and I won't see him again until Friday night.  I can hardly stand it.  He's going to be six feet tall by the time I see him again.   :'(
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #146 on: August 06, 2007, 03:50:41 pm »

I'm also going to begin the longest stretch of time I'll have spent away from my beautiful son.  They'll drop me off at the airport at 5:30 tonight and I won't see him again until Friday night.  I can hardly stand it.  He's going to be six feet tall by the time I see him again.   :'(

Don't worry about it. By the time you see him, you'll have senile dementia and you won't remember who he is. You'll think he's Warren Gamaliel Harding.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2007, 08:51:59 pm »

Bloody fuckin' hell! I just spent like 30 minutes on a god-damned online internet job application and right before I was about to finish it up, the page timed out or something and I lost all my fuck*ng work. >_<

At least the job doesn't close for another week. That will give me some time to stop bein' pissed and maybe try again.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #148 on: August 06, 2007, 11:41:37 pm »

and right before I was about to finish it up, the page timed out or something and I lost all my fuck*ng work. >_<

I too have fallen victim to that soul-sucking bug.  My solution is to keep a copy of notepad handy (or its Mac equivalent) and type into it - then copy/paste into the web app.  A power failure will still bum you out, but in my experience they are orders of magnitude less common than fickle data-entry pages on ter Intarweb
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #149 on: August 07, 2007, 01:58:24 am »

I too have fallen victim to that soul-sucking bug.  My solution is to keep a copy of notepad handy (or its Mac equivalent) and type into it - then copy/paste into the web app.  A power failure will still bum you out, but in my experience they are orders of magnitude less common than fickle data-entry pages on ter Intarweb

Y'know what my problem is? I'm too retarded to do something like that. All the tabbing between pages and ctrl-c/ctrl-v is just too much work for my lazy ass. And then I lose all my work. Great work, Somebody nice.

Anyway, I'm gonna listen to some pre-Jehovah's Witnesses PRINCE. Heh. Nothing like hearing from the man who pioneered the freak-nasty genre. I guess that several years ago he stopped swearing and stopped getting graphic in his songs due to Religion, but I love listening to shit like "Do Me Baby", "18 and Over", "Gett Off", or "Cream".
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 878   Go Up