Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Wife upset because I kept her up all night playing World of Snorecraft.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348917 times)

0 Members and 216 Guests are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #315 on: August 24, 2007, 03:17:03 am »

this one time, we decided we wanted to make Mint Juleps. So, we drove to the local grocery store, only to realize we had no idea what Simple Syrup meant. So a certain friend of mine, being the guy he is, decided to just walk up and ask one of the people working there. Who, of course, asked "what are you using it for?"
We never did find any. Is it something that is only used in mixed drinks?

Also: Mint Juleps are basically delicious. So good.

Hoss, you just gotta boil some water and add sugar. There are about a million recipes on the internets. Keep it in a closed container in the fridge. You could also just buy a bottle of light Karo and use that instead in a pinch.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #316 on: August 24, 2007, 04:30:33 am »

Oh man, not knowing how simple "simple syrup" is is so damn cute.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #317 on: August 24, 2007, 05:45:56 am »

yeah, that's what I was going for.

In retrospect, now I remember looking it up later and smacking that kid on the back of the head. IT'S SUGAR WATER! But, you know, apparently that knowledge didn't take.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #318 on: August 24, 2007, 01:39:49 pm »

You could also just buy a bottle of light Karo and use that instead in a pinch.

Noooo!  Don't do it! There are other flavorings in Karo, like vanilla extract or something, that you don't want in your mojitos.

At a Japanese supermarket, you can buy a bag of tiny containers of simple syrup. They are the same kinds of little individual serving plastic containers that coffee creamer comes in and that's what it's for, to put in iced coffee. I confess have a bag of those - they were originally intended to bring to work, but now I basically don't go to work - and I use them if I am really lazy.

I was very surprised to see these containers of syrup at coffee shops in Japan and when I mentioned to my Japanese friend that we didn't have them, she was quite bewildered. She asked what did we use in iced coffee then, and I said, just regular sugar. She said, but that doesn't dissolve! I said, well, yeah. She was shocked to hear that we would put up with such a low standard of iced coffee sweetening.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #319 on: August 24, 2007, 01:53:23 pm »

Noooo!  Don't do it! There are other flavorings in Karo, like vanilla extract or something, that you don't want in your mojitos.

At a Japanese supermarket, you can buy a bag of tiny containers of simple syrup. They are the same kinds of little individual serving plastic containers that coffee creamer comes in and that's what it's for, to put in iced coffee. I confess have a bag of those - they were originally intended to bring to work, but now I basically don't go to work - and I use them if I am really lazy.

I was very surprised to see these containers of syrup at coffee shops in Japan and when I mentioned to my Japanese friend that we didn't have them, she was quite bewildered. She asked what did we use in iced coffee then, and I said, just regular sugar. She said, but that doesn't dissolve! I said, well, yeah. She was shocked to hear that we would put up with such a low standard of iced coffee sweetening.

My favorite local chinese place always gives a little creamer-style jar of simple syrup when somebody orders iced tea. I had always thought that it was just this one place that was smart and considerate enough to do this. But apparently it's actually the rest of the world.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #320 on: August 24, 2007, 02:00:52 pm »

Today I'm gonna conquer the great outdoors.  Camping?  Fuck yeah!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #321 on: August 24, 2007, 02:59:56 pm »

My favorite local chinese place always gives a little creamer-style jar of simple syrup when somebody orders iced tea. I had always thought that it was just this one place that was smart and considerate enough to do this. But apparently it's actually the rest of the world.

'round heah we sweeten the tea when we brew it. 

1 gallon of boiling water + six teabags + 2 cups of sugar = delicious
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #322 on: August 24, 2007, 03:05:01 pm »

my dad told me that the first time he had Sweet Tea when we moved here, they just gave him tea and a little container of syrup to sweeten it himself.

sweet tea is my LIFE.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #323 on: August 24, 2007, 03:08:15 pm »

Today I'm gonna... steal wireless internet from the neighbors all day because ours is broken.

And hope that the great outdoors doesn't conquer me, because the hot humid summer weather is back.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #324 on: August 24, 2007, 06:41:40 pm »

That may not be the saddest thing but it's right up there.

It's just impossible to go anywhere by plane these days, isn't it?  It's a shame, I hoped to see California and Japan again someday.

We . . . are having some trouble with our airplanes.

The group that runs the charter is called Shared Services. We call it Scared Services now. We have had to book about a third of our flights with Alaska Airlines because one of our planes is in Canada for a pretty serious checkup (a thing that happens periodically with planes) and right at the same time, a second plane lost an engine directly after takeoff, so they had to take that one out of service. Things are a bit sketchy right now.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #325 on: August 25, 2007, 12:51:25 am »

my dad told me that the first time he had Sweet Tea when we moved here, they just gave him tea and a little container of syrup to sweeten it himself.

sweet tea is my LIFE.

My wife and my sister have talked tea.  My sister apparently likes "crunchy tea." That is, she orders unsweetened iced tea, and lots of sugar packets. She then drops the sugar in, but doesn't stir it up, specifically so that she can crunch down on the sugar when she drinks it.

I don't like any kind of tea.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #326 on: August 25, 2007, 02:24:14 am »

My wife and my sister have talked tea.  My sister apparently likes "crunchy tea." That is, she orders unsweetened iced tea, and lots of sugar packets. She then drops the sugar in, but doesn't stir it up, specifically so that she can crunch down on the sugar when she drinks it.

I don't like any kind of tea.

Your sister doesn't have many second dates, does she?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #327 on: August 25, 2007, 04:39:19 am »

today (technically) I am getting on a plane and getting off in St Louis. then I will take a cab to campus, walk some, and get to my dorm.
I will unpack, see a ton of people, and probably do some partying.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #328 on: August 25, 2007, 04:47:10 am »

today (technically) I am getting on a plane and getting off in St Louis. then I will take a cab to campus, walk some, and get to my dorm.
I will unpack, see a ton of people, and probably do some partying.

Dog can you take a picture of the St.Louis A-B brewery? I might be going out there a job interview this semester.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #329 on: August 25, 2007, 12:34:39 pm »

Today I'm gonna ignore an email from a friend of mine, who was just ordained as an Orthodox Priest, inviting me to join Facebook. 

Weird. 

Also, I'm going to move houses, and hope my kid doesn't freak out. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 878   Go Up