Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: NuvaRing  (Read 12746 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: NuvaRing
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 03:39:04 am »

Of course, you could always just do what I do -- get knocked up and you don't have to worry about it again for three quarters of a year -- longer if you breastfeed.  But then, that might not be what you're looking for...

Lies. Our 2nd two are 17 months apart, with breastfeeding.

Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: NuvaRing
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 03:44:27 am »

Lies. Our 2nd two are 17 months apart, with breastfeeding.

Damn. That sucks. Thanks for the Mythbusters action, AD.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: NuvaRing
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 04:26:20 am »

Lies. Our 2nd two are 17 months apart, with breastfeeding.



I never said it was a perfect plan. 

My OB told me breastfeeding isn't 100% reliable as a birth control method and is basically worthless as soon as the kid starts any kind of solid food.  But then, the only birth control method I know of that's 100% reliable is abstinence.  Clearly, that ain't gonna fly with anyone around here. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: NuvaRing
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 04:30:14 am »

I feel like here I am supposed to say "hey, it's working pretty well for me!"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: NuvaRing
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 05:02:02 am »

Why was not having a period a problem? I have nothing good to say about having periods. Right now I'm taking pills without a break in order to try not have a period on purpose (because I get migraines at my period aside from other horrible discomfort and misery). Sounds like you had a good deal and now you messed it up... But if you think the ring is a good idea, I guess I would wait to have one more freakout, personally, to be sure it's a side effect that's going to persist.

Might be PCOS. I don't want that.

Thanks for the very helpful comments, linnea.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: NuvaRing
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 06:18:01 am »

Might be PCOS. I don't want that.

Thanks for the very helpful comments, linnea.

Def mention the PCOS to your doctor. He or she should be able to look at you and say, "You don't seem to exhibit the other symptoms (facial hair, etc.), but I'll run some tests." Maybe it will pique some other stuff in their doctorbrains and they'll think of some other tests.

Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: NuvaRing
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 12:14:36 pm »

Just please don't let them tell you there's nothing wrong with you if you feel there is something amiss.  I was told that I was "too young" to have fertility problems and advised to have more sex.  (Obviously my doctor didn't know me very well.)  Change doctors if you need to.  I went to three different ones before I found someone willing to sit and listen to me rather than just order another expensive test. 

I went through the wringer for three years when a single course of a safe drug that's been on the market for thirty years was all I needed to kick-start my ovaries.  When I finally found the right doctor, he figured out the problem in a single office visit.  So don't let them push you around.  There are many great OB/GYNs in the world, but in the event that you don't happen to be seeing one of them, don't be afraid to switch. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: NuvaRing
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 01:16:10 pm »

I never said it was a perfect plan. 

My OB told me breastfeeding isn't 100% reliable as a birth control method and is basically worthless as soon as the kid starts any kind of solid food.  But then, the only birth control method I know of that's 100% reliable is abstinence.  Clearly, that ain't gonna fly with anyone around here. 

Not true. Stephen Colbert's Formula 401 is effective at a distance of up to 5 meters from a fully clothed woman.

Now Nabu's Formula, that's a whole other story.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 01:20:15 pm by CortJstr »
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: NuvaRing
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 01:37:18 pm »

Just please don't let them tell you there's nothing wrong with you if you feel there is something amiss.  I was told that I was "too young" to have fertility problems and advised to have more sex.  (Obviously my doctor didn't know me very well.)  Change doctors if you need to.  I went to three different ones before I found someone willing to sit and listen to me rather than just order another expensive test. 

I went through the wringer for three years when a single course of a safe drug that's been on the market for thirty years was all I needed to kick-start my ovaries.  When I finally found the right doctor, he figured out the problem in a single office visit.  So don't let them push you around.  There are many great OB/GYNs in the world, but in the event that you don't happen to be seeing one of them, don't be afraid to switch. 

ARGH!! That is so frustrating to read. I'm glad you finally found one who would listen to you. Jeez.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: NuvaRing
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 02:08:33 pm »

Just please don't let them tell you there's nothing wrong with you if you feel there is something amiss.  I was told that I was "too young" to have fertility problems and advised to have more sex.  (Obviously my doctor didn't know me very well.)  Change doctors if you need to.  I went to three different ones before I found someone willing to sit and listen to me rather than just order another expensive test. 

I went through the wringer for three years when a single course of a safe drug that's been on the market for thirty years was all I needed to kick-start my ovaries.  When I finally found the right doctor, he figured out the problem in a single office visit.  So don't let them push you around.  There are many great OB/GYNs in the world, but in the event that you don't happen to be seeing one of them, don't be afraid to switch. 

Word. This is true about basically everything. If you think there is something that doesn't seem right, keep trying until you get a doctor that will listen. I have several instances in my own immediate family of doctors saying "that's normal" until one said "yeah, that there is fucked up, but we can fix it".
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: NuvaRing
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 02:09:42 pm »

Def mention the PCOS to your doctor. He or she should be able to look at you and say, "You don't seem to exhibit the other symptoms (facial hair, etc.), but I'll run some tests." Maybe it will pique some other stuff in their doctorbrains and they'll think of some other tests.



Oh, I suggested it. He said it's unlikely since I'm fairly slim, but a possibility.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: NuvaRing
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 10:56:20 pm »

Personally, I've always been paranoid about PCOS because I have a lot of the peripheral symptoms (chunky, with more hair on my face than I'd like), but I've never had any trouble with my period and have never been more than about two weeks late (and that was a one-shot thing when I was dealing with a lot of stress). That said, I'm a hypochondriac, and there's always the appeal of knowing you have something medically wrong with you and aren't just ugly.

Anyway, I've been wondering about birth control options myself. The issue is that I'm in a sufficiently long-distance relationship that it seems stupid to take something all the time when it'll only be necessary once every few months at most, so I've been procrastinating, but at some point it'd be nice. (Especially since the Gentleman Caller is a condom whiner.)
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: NuvaRing
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2007, 11:12:43 pm »

(Especially since the Gentleman Caller is a condom whiner.)
All men are condom whiners. No man is joyously constricting his manhood in a rubber sheet that covers the exact part used in sexy times. "Oh yea, I love wearing condoms, I hate actually feeling sex, that is so overrated"
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: NuvaRing
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2007, 11:31:27 pm »

Still hell of a lot better than not gettin' any, A-CAP. No glove = no love.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: NuvaRing
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2007, 11:39:15 pm »

All men are condom whiners. No man is joyously constricting his manhood in a rubber sheet that covers the exact part used in sexy times. "Oh yea, I love wearing condoms, I hate actually feeling sex, that is so overrated"

Maybe it's because I was a child of the '90s (and my EMT training), but I am all for body substance isolation. The more protection, the better. Condoms are great.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up