Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Yo mama's so crass and low, she puts chocolate pieces into her mouth while she is still chewing up the previous chocolate pieces.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.  (Read 8066 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2007, 01:20:43 am »

I am left-handed, and my handwriting is atrocious. I have pretty much given up lowercase letters - my letters are all caps, just sized differently for when the situation calls for caps. In order to get married, I had to sign something in a manner in which my cursive name could be read. It took me two minutes to write three words. I could barely remember how to do it.

I had a teacher tell us we had to learn cursive because "in high school, that's all they use." No one in high school used cursive.

Let's face it, writing itself will be obsolete in fifty years. Kids will learn to type on Sesame Street. Parents will marvel at baby's first text message.
Logged

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2007, 01:18:59 am »

I think the real test is if you can remember how to make a cursive "z"

Or any of the cursive capitol letters.

Is there a term for printing fast and about a third of your letters becoming cursive?  Like having your 'e's and 'g's flow into the next letter if it can start with an upstroke.

Also mathematicians and engineers always write their lowercase ts to have the little curl on the bottom so as to avoid confusion with plus signs.  I've met a number of professional gallery artists who write in all caps and don't draw the spine on 'E's so they look like 3 parallel horizontals.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2007, 01:28:28 am »

I can write a cursive Z, but never really knew any of the nutty capitals. Except the Q, because... that thing is insane.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2007, 01:37:11 am »

I have a thing where I'm writing really fast, and a word like "the" will end up looking like "tle" with a line going directly from the bottom of the l into the start of the e. I say it's distinctive, everyone else says I just have shitty handwriting.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2007, 01:37:18 am »

I can write a cursive Z, but never really knew any of the nutty capitals. Except the Q, because... that thing is insane.

It's a "2".
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2007, 01:47:46 am »

I mean, yeah. That's why I say it's insane.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2007, 02:26:23 am »

A cursive "z" is like... if the letter "e" was a 1780s-type fop.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2007, 02:28:36 am »

The Q is the worst, but the capital F was clearly designed by a person totally unfamiliar with latin letters.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2007, 02:55:59 pm »

I got a letter from the SO's grandma on Friday, entirely in small, tidy cursive.  Basically it was telling us that her and grandpa are moving to a condo and that grandpa needs oxygen all the time now.  We had seen them less than a week before, and they can call us any time, so it was strange and charming to get a letter from her.  I was thinking a letter, handwritten on stationary, is like getting something from an archaeological dig.  I could understand it, but it felt like there was a lot of distance there - the span of time it took to get to me being only part of it, the distance of generations between us undeniable.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2007, 05:52:03 pm »

I think there's definitely a connection between the general quality of handwriting and the economics of letter-sending.

Before railroads, and in the tree-stump filled wilderness of the Eastern US, frequently before ROADS in the late 1700s and early 1800s letters were expensive and took forever to get where they were going, so people put a lot of time and effort into their letter writing.

I've seen a magazine article from the 1870s about how railroads and "instant" delivery of communication were killing the art of letter writing and how with the transcontinental railroad complete and post getting less expensive, letters were getting shorter and much less formal.  It read a lot like modern laments.

Once you get desktop publishing, and any individual has powers over reproduced documents similar to those of a small printing outfit, the value of a handwritten manuscript has just fallen through the floor.  Combine that with the way America has shed a lot of traditional class signifiers since the 30s (the strange world where a man making $80,000 a year and a man making $8,000,000 a year both shoot to be living similar "middle class" existences that differ only in scale.) Baroque handwriting has vanished in kind of the same way that compulsory Ancient Greek at upper-crust colleges has.  And for more or less the same reasons.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2007, 07:16:16 pm »

damn, dude, I totally took hell of Latin. No Greek, though, it won't fit in my schedule.


also: I want to wear a suit every day. That is so classy, man. Wearing a suit, damn.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2007, 07:42:49 pm »


also: I want to wear a suit every day. That is so classy, man. Wearing a suit, damn.

Meh.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2007, 07:45:31 pm »

I'll take "comfortable" over "classy" every day of the week and twice on a bag of chips.

I'm mixing my metaphors, here, but you get my idea.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2007, 07:50:11 pm »

i mean, ok. I don't want to wear a suit everyday now. I want to wear a suit everyday back when that was basically normal.

I want to wear a suit everyday in an old black and white movie, is what I am saying.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

kellichou

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 90
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 87
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2007, 08:07:55 pm »

I use a lot more deposit tickets than checks, too.  I just asked my bank for some extra books of just deposit slips.  Fixed that problem! 

And my heart goes out to ya, Smells (in response to your previous comment that you've realized a lot of these "rules" were just crazy ones made up by yer old lady).  I see that with some of my own students, and man, does it suck.  I just wanna grab the kid by the shoulders and tell them that they're doing real well considering their effed-up circumstances, that they're a great kid, and shit will only get better from here on out--especially once they're of age and can leave their crazy parents' house.

What's a check?

Actually I wish my band would sell me a book of deposit slips. Because a book of checks has 25 checks and like 6 deposit slips. 25 checks last me 12-18 months, but I use 2 deposit slips a month (for the SO's half of the rent) so I run out of those pretty much immediately. If my building let us pay the rent online like the fancier apartment buildings I don't think I'd need checks at all.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up