Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 8th October 2008 - Givin' birth to my pain-child  (Read 15413 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 8th October 2008 - Givin' birth to my pain-child
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 03:34:01 am »

yeah, totally.
I think that if you lived there you would stop being that way? probably?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: 8th October 2008 - Givin' birth to my pain-child
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 08:19:18 pm »

Did someone ask for reasons to not go to Adelaide?

Incidentally, I am going to Adelaide on Friday to get drunk with people I met on the internet.  What could possibly go wrong?



Edit: Although I can't really bag out Adelaide for their murderous ways too much, since I live about an hour away from where this happened.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 08:23:45 pm by oball »
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 8th October 2008 - Givin' birth to my pain-child
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 09:23:06 pm »

Did someone ask for reasons to not go to Adelaide?

Lots of people get murdered there.... okay, so it will feel like home to an American.
Logged

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: 8th October 2008 - Givin' birth to my pain-child
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 10:14:39 pm »

Yeah but in Oz you aren't legally allowed to carry around large calibre hand guns for self-defence.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 8th October 2008 - Givin' birth to my pain-child
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 12:54:09 am »

Y'know something?

I think that if the mythical unabated "right to bear arms" only applied to "arms" as the technology existed at the time of the Bill of Rights, it wouldn't be so bad.

Muskets and such that fire one inaccurate shot and then take fifteen minutes to load unless you are highly trained and then it "only" takes five.

I would be rad with that idea.

I think we have our compromise here.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 8th October 2008 - Givin' birth to my pain-child
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 01:16:22 am »


i started re-considering my opinion on guns when I realized they were based on my rich white-boy-who-grew-up-in-a-liberal-democracy assumption that the police would always come help me, and would always be on my side.

i wish I could say that NWA weren't a big factor, but, they were.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 01:22:26 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 8th October 2008 - Givin' birth to my pain-child
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2008, 01:20:28 am »

Y'know something?

I think that if the mythical unabated "right to bear arms" only applied to "arms" as the technology existed at the time of the Bill of Rights, it wouldn't be so bad.

Muskets and such that fire one inaccurate shot and then take fifteen minutes to load unless you are highly trained and then it "only" takes five.

I would be rad with that idea.

I think we have our compromise here.
And freedom of speech should only be limited to the technology of the time, too. newspapers, pamphlets, they are fine. But the internet, phone lines, radio, etc, those are not covered by the right to free speech. Freedom from search and seizure, too. Cars and mobile homes are all fair game, the founders didn't intend them to be covered. Anything other than log cabin, really.
Cmon man.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 8th October 2008 - Givin' birth to my pain-child
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2008, 01:21:29 am »

LFM, I am sorry, the original version of that post was due to the fact that I am just in a HATEFUL mood today for some reason. STBAD (sorry to be a dick)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 8th October 2008 - Givin' birth to my pain-child
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2008, 02:55:08 am »

Y'know something?

I think that if the mythical unabated "right to bear arms" only applied to "arms" as the technology existed at the time of the Bill of Rights, it wouldn't be so bad.

Muskets and such that fire one inaccurate shot and then take fifteen minutes to load unless you are highly trained and then it "only" takes five.

I would be rad with that idea.

I think we have our compromise here.

Only if the police and army also have muskets. You can't have much of a revolution when the man has vastly superior arms compared to the people.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 8th October 2008 - Givin' birth to my pain-child
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2008, 03:37:06 am »

Just to be fair, we're kept in line far far more by our debts and obligations than we are by anyone's guns, either way.

Our homes and cars are better ammunition against us, these days.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 8th October 2008 - Givin' birth to my pain-child
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2008, 05:06:40 am »

I just realised I mis-read Adelaide's population as 150k instead of 1.5 million. So I guess it's not as small a town as I recall. I still say people should come to Brisbane instead. Our beaches are better and I could take you drinking.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: 8th October 2008 - Givin' birth to my pain-child
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2008, 06:46:48 am »

Hey, historical linguistics checkin' in! At the time of the document's writing, the phrase "bear arms" was used exclusively to refer to the act of serving in a military, not to the possession of weapons! In other words, what they actually wrote down was "everyone has the right to request that the government teach them how to fight, and to fight on behalf of the government", not "everyone has the right to keep a gun under his pillow".

Now, I will say that it probably just never occurred to them that someone would say they didn't have the right to own a gun - this was a time in the country's life when owning a gun was a practical "hey guys, venison for Sunday dinner!" matter rather than a "AK-47 FUCK THE POLICE" matter as it is for an unnervingly large number of gun-owners in modern America. Just sayin', none of us (in America, at least, can't speak for other nations' constitutions) actually has a constitutionally-protected right to own a gun, much less to own them without any form of regulation or monitoring as certain elements would have you believe.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 06:50:14 am by Ben-San »
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 8th October 2008 - Givin' birth to my pain-child
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2008, 06:59:33 am »

Its funny how a distrust of the very idea of government seems to be... hardwired directly into American political discourse when... that's not how it was in the beginning at all. The point of the American Revolution wasn't that governance didn't work, it was that governance from afar by birthright didn't work... and this framework for a government could work and could work well.

Where did this new line of thinking... that government is fundamentally built to oppress and is evil and must be defended against... get written in?

I mean, it's kind of transparent that it was put in there by business interests who wanted to do whatever the fuck they wanted but...

I don't know, historically, when did this fundamental rewrite of our history start?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 8th October 2008 - Givin' birth to my pain-child
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2008, 04:19:46 pm »

i mean.

considering how much you harp on how easily the american people can be duped by evil, selgiraffe, corrupt leaders, it seems pretty basic to think that sometimes the government will get screwed up and oppressive.
i mean, also like a basic examination of all the times in history governments have gotten screwed up and oppressive.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 8th October 2008 - Givin' birth to my pain-child
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2008, 04:33:09 pm »

Where did this new line of thinking... that government is fundamentally built to oppress and is evil and must be defended against... get written in?

I mean, it's kind of transparent that it was put in there by business interests who wanted to do whatever the fuck they wanted but...

I don't know, historically, when did this fundamental rewrite of our history start?
Wat?
Start with maybe reading a book. Maybe start with Hobbes Leviathan, or go to a political science class. I know you've expressed hatred for "books" and how impractical their contents are, but I promise some of them hold the answers you seek.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 04:47:11 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up