I always understood Southern Rock to mean Creedence, Lynynynyrd Sykynyryd, possibly ZZ Top at a stretch. Basically rock music with possibly Southern US themes and influence from country and swamp rock.
Am I mislead?
That's what I thought, too, Jude. But Paul says we're wrong. Again, I think that we define the genre differently -- I define it based solely on a certain "sound," while Paul defines it based on the group's place in Southern culture. Valid differences, to be sure, and when phrased that way, I'm less inclined to disagree. I mean, basically, his criteria is "songs by rock bands that are from the South," and mine is, "a collection of songs that sound like they could have been written by a band from the South, and also rock."
Lets take a brief survey, shall we? Which artists from this list are part of "Southern Rock?" Use whatever criteria you like, but please define it for us as you do so.
Lynyrd Skynyrd
ZZ Top
Bad Company
The Allman Brothers Band
Kenny Wayne Shephard
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Jimi Hendrix
Joe Walsh
Big Brother and the Holding Company/Janis Joplin
Charlie Daniels Band
.38 Special
Kansas
George Thorogood
Kid Rock