Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Wombat Watches the Super Bowl  (Read 10855 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Wombat Watches the Super Bowl
« on: February 02, 2009, 01:21:53 am »

Daaaam, The Boss has some slick moves.  I enjoyed that immensely.

What about that 100 yard run to end the half?  That was completely awesome.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Wombat Watches the Super Bowl
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 01:28:57 am »

Was that it? They're going to play more football already?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Wombat Watches the Super Bowl
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 01:35:18 am »

I assumed you'd be watching the Puppy Bowl, but you'd be wrong.

What you should be watching instead is the Predator Bowl on MSNBC.

Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Wombat Watches the Super Bowl
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 01:41:08 am »

I have a story to do with this. (start from HOWEVER if you are not interested in young British males and their reaction to American football)

Me and my flatmates were perplexed when the lovely Match of the Day showed some footage of today's Premier League action as per usual, only to return to the studio where Adrian Chiles sat adorned in full American football armour and Alan Hansen and Lee Dixon sat very awkwardly with pigskins in their hand.

"What is this?" we thought. I'd heard the BBC were beginning to show American football and presumed this was some sort of stunt to make us blokes chuckle and think "I'll give the Superbowl a watch, seeing as old Chilesy's dressed up and all! And in an extremely deadpan manner he's informing us they are cutting straight to the action!"

It worked.

Until they actually cut to the 'action' (after a very long-winded introduction including and implying Obama in all this malarkey). A brief check of the TV guide told us we'd be up 'til 3am watching this, and I briefly recalled the nature of the sport.

After recounting what I knew (lots of breaks, 'plays', the rules, two seperate teams, the overriding feeling this is just gay rugby) and our previous experience trying to watch baseball, we gave it a miss.

HOWEVER.

Their is obviously a concerted effort to make American football a more global, inclusive thing (probably that Obama again) and the BBC had even sent a commentary team. I will inform you of it's impact over here.

The most important thing is, and I'll let you guys field this:

A) Is it easy to play 'off-the-cuff'? As in, could I suddenly decide to get a game going, head down the park (a flat unmarked grass surface) with minimal preparation and get a game going?
B) Do you need equipment?
C) Do you need a certain amount of players?

I ask because one of the successes of rugby/football here is that it's very versatile. Football can be played with one/two goals (made of jumpers), literally any amount of players split and don't have to be equal teams, etc. and rugby is the same except it requires two 'ends'.

If you could do this with American football and it was promoted enough, kids would start playing and success would be yours in the battle for hearts and minds.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Wombat Watches the Super Bowl
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 01:48:51 am »

I did watch Puppy Bowl - there was a pug in it! - but that starts at 3 in the afternoon.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Wombat Watches the Super Bowl
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 03:08:01 am »

I think most pickup games around here end up being touch football, which you can just play on a soccer (sorry--football) field. I prefer soccer, but probably because I grew up playing it. Also because I'm not into a lot of pain.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Wombat Watches the Super Bowl
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 03:09:51 am »

Are the good commercials up on YouTube yet? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Wombat Watches the Super Bowl
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 03:15:56 am »

They're on hulu, apparently.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Wombat Watches the Super Bowl
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 03:28:42 am »

Quote from: JudyIsADickSlap
football armour

If an attractive lady said that in a sincere manner, that'd be about as cute as humanly possible.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Wombat Watches the Super Bowl
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 03:29:47 am »

If an attractive lady said that in a sincere manner, that'd be about as cute as humanly possible.

Are you coming on to me?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Wombat Watches the Super Bowl
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 03:32:19 am »

No, I'm just establishing a rule here.

Nearly anything that sounds like madness from the mouth of a European soccer hooligan sounds cute out of the mouth of a petite Valley girl.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Wombat Watches the Super Bowl
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 03:34:48 am »

No, I'm just establishing a rule here.

Nearly anything that sounds like madness from the mouth of a European soccer hooligan sounds cute out of the mouth of a petite Valley girl.

What about 'I'll cut your mouth open and break your legs you slimy southern bastard"
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Wombat Watches the Super Bowl
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 03:38:46 am »

''Oh MYGAWD I'm gonna, like, cut your MOUTH open and TOTALLY break your LEGS, you grody Southern BASTARD!"

With proper inflections such as emphasizing the last syllable of every word? As if everything's a question?

Totally cute.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Wombat Watches the Super Bowl
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 03:43:19 am »

''Oh MYGAWD I'm gonna, like, cut your MOUTH open and TOTALLY break your LEGS, you grody Southern BASTARD!"

With proper inflections such as emphasizing the last syllable of every word? As if everything's a question?

Totally cute.

Hmm! I can see that!

Football chants are simply sung in a cheerleader style

Yes.

I can see this happening.

See to it.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Wombat Watches the Super Bowl
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 05:19:30 am »

I watched it at the frat house where we used a projector to watch it on a wall. I thought it was a great game, I had money on arizona +7 points, so I won even with my team losing. God bless America.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up