Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Baseball '09?  (Read 16798 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2009, 03:39:57 pm »

I have a list of people!

Hooray!

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2009, 04:02:00 pm »

How many starting and relief pitchers actually get to start each week?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2009, 06:08:01 pm »

Lineup... good.  Starting pitching... not so good.
But I have made my way in fantasy baseball over the years by finding good spot starters on the WW.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2009, 08:24:54 pm »

Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009, 01:11:14 am »

I do not know what is happening in this drawing.
Logged

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2009, 09:01:34 am »

Nor do I. As such it is very much representative of my pretend baseball experience.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2009, 09:27:01 am »

I don't want to act like an expert, played only once two years ago, but, some basics for now are to make sure you have players who qualify for multiple positions(but not over quality), make sure you have as many players as possible playing everyday, make sure your starting pitchers (indicated by the arrow thing) who are pitching that day are in.  If you do it right you can get extra pitchers and less position players (which will help your pitching adding stats).  As the season goes on, look at the stats you are lacking in and make adjustments.  It is pretty random right now, need to let the season go for a month, especially as someone who doesn't watch/know baseball.

Basically there are two types of stats:  adding and average.  Adding stats are Runs, Home Runs, Runs Batted In, Stolen Bases, Wins, Saves and Strikeouts (Ks).  The more people you have playing everyday, and the more starting pitchers you are able to cycle in (relievers pitch more often and more sporadically, so you generally need to stay with 2-3 good closers for Saves only, though they obviously add to the other categories) the better these categories will be.  The Average, Earned Run Average, and Walks/Hits per Inning Pitched are all averages, so measure your quality.  For instance, if you meet the minimum pitch requirements (there is an inning minimum for your ERA and WHIP to count, don't know what it is) and are either winning big or losing big in Wins and Strikeouts but dominating in ERA and WHIP, you might not start any other pitchers that week, in order to keep those low.  You would still want to start your relievers, who will be able to add to your Save category and unlikely to hurt you too bad, as they only pitch one inning most night and starters pitch anywhere from 4-8 realistically.

The way to make this quickest is to do each week at once, cycling through the days to make sure your pitchers are in, etc.  You can just hit save at each new day and come back and check it for 30 seconds a day after that.  Mondays and Thursdays, once the season gets going at its usual pace in two weeks, are the days teams have off.  Usually somewhere around half of the teams don't play those days, maybe a little more.  Most other days all teams are playing.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:52:45 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2009, 01:46:48 pm »

There is someone with Joe Mauer and Alex Rodriguez in their starting lineup. They are both extraordinary players, but they are injured. They are definitely worth holding on to if you can, but you may want to ditch your current bench players in favor of players who can fill in at 3B and Catcher.

Kelly Shoppach would probably be a pretty good stand-in at catcher and he is available if you can't make a trade. You can place one of your injured players on the DL (which is below the bench), which would open up a roster spot.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 01:52:59 pm by JorgeFabregas »
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2009, 12:37:11 pm »

The stats from yesterday's games seem to have been wiped out. Hmm. Not that I'm complaining.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2009, 05:19:19 pm »

And they're back.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2009, 11:28:02 pm »

Manny got busted and can't even go on the DL, so yeah.

Holding up I think though?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2009, 01:49:31 am »

I lost 9 - 1 to a guy who left a player on the DL and an NA player active all week.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2009, 10:56:35 am »

I... I completely forgot about this. I still know nothing about baseball and now I have exams.

I guess under those circumstances it's not going too badly.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2009, 01:39:02 pm »

I'm not sure.  My team seems to be quite mediocre, particularly the pitching staff.  I lack that big-name guy who you know is going to put up a good start just about every time.

Andruw Jones?  They didn't run him out of the league after last season?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2009, 03:16:42 pm »

I, Liquor Cabinet, am back in the game.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up