Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Baseball '09?  (Read 16824 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2009, 03:08:05 am »

Yeah, when that trade went down, weren't we all like "What a steal for the Nats?"  So much for that.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2009, 01:38:54 pm »

If "Josh Outman" isn't the best name for a pitcher ever, I don't know what is.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2009, 06:06:36 pm »

Well, Ryan Church and Brian Schneider are just giant floating garbage scows of suck, injury and fleeting hitting streaks that make you pull your hair out.

Frankly, I'd rather have nothing than those guys, Schneider's position would be filled with a better hitting catcher by default because dude just cannot hit his way out of a paper sack and Church is so streaky and one-side-of-the-plate and stupid about himself physically that it'd probably be better where if you're gonna call up Fernando Martinez two years too early like an idiot, just have the dude play every single day to develop him instead of having to mix a dud like Church into the mix.

Nothing or a guy with some ceiling injured down in AAA is still better than Ryan Church and Brian Schneider because then, at least, the Mets would be forced to acquire or play players who actually know how to hit the baseball... or develop other players to a similar point.

Being pot-committed to two players who have no business as starting major league ball players just because they were starting on a team that didn't care about winning, because your GM liked them when he was working for their former team and has something to lose reputationally by admitting they suck, is worse than nothing.

If they could be utilized as bench players, maybe two cheap okay bench players are worth more than a guy injured in AAA...

But as horrible starters, bleh. Zero is better than those two pieces of utter dross starting.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2009, 12:19:28 am »

But the Mets suck and slobber giant equine dongs,

That's a given.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2009, 02:11:56 am »

But the Mets suck and slobber giant equine dongs, on this we can reach accord.
Actually they are number 12 out of 30 on yahoo's mlb power rankings and are in second place behind the phillies in the NL East.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2009, 09:02:29 pm »

 “AS I’VE MENTIONED BEFORE, Any fantasy baseballist has more in common with someone who dresses as an orc on weekends than an actual athlete, because they are analyzing and processing massive data, and communicating with unknown others on the web."

-John Hodgman
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2009, 05:45:12 am »

That wank shoulda got a Mac, anyways.

[oh wait, he has]
Damn, that's a canning.

Its funny to think of him outside of his characterization.  I guess there's no one holding a gun to his head to be a Mac user - but he's become so identified in my mind as "PC" that it was actually a bit of a double take to think of him as a Macolyte from back in the day.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2009, 09:46:59 pm »

Hey, if you can't do, open up a playground of the imagination and go nuts.

i wasnt deriding the thread or the partici##### herein.  i just happened to see that on facebook and it made me think of you's.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2009, 05:39:28 pm »

Just put Manny in for Friday.  It's on bitches.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2009, 04:42:29 pm »

Anyone need a third baseman? I have Aramis Ramirez coming off the DL on Monday and would like to deal him for some relief pitching.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2009, 01:04:05 pm »

Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2009, 03:14:38 pm »

Cueto has otherwise been a very good waiver wire pickup for me, so I can't complain. Plus this week I'm facing a zombie team that seems to be having bad luck besides being unmanaged--so I should be able to take the other categories.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2009, 04:09:22 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2009, 04:11:50 pm »

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/jorgefabregas/johnnycuetoline.jpg
Anyone have a line like this this season? Heh.

If anyone was foolish enough to pick up Joel Hanrahan, then yes.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2009, 10:57:00 pm »

Who you puttin' in coach?  I'm puttin' in the Out Man!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up