Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Raise your hand if you are uncircumcised  (Read 15304 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Raise your hand if you are uncircumcised
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2009, 04:51:49 pm »

God doesn't like people to wander in the desert with uncut man-business."

Mysterious ways, indeed.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Raise your hand if you are uncircumcised
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2009, 06:28:02 pm »

Maybe only tangentially related to the original topic (circumcision is mentioned in an embedded video) but David Plotz over at Slate read the entire Bible (OT only it seems) and wrote a book about it. The article is a brief overview of what he learned and why he thinks everyone, and non-believers especially, should read it. Basically, the Bible has informed just about every corner of our culture, and non-believers will be even angrier at God after reading it. Apparently he blogged about the experience as well, which I missed. I've never read the Old Testament cover to cover, but have certainly read and studied most, if not all of it, and while it's true that much of it is interesting, by Jesus it's long and boring. God, like Bill Clinton, needed a better editor. What a windbag.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Raise your hand if you are uncircumcised
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2009, 06:39:05 pm »

I read his blog as he went along. It was really interesting because like him there were various phrases and whatnot that I didn't realize were biblical. Plus being catholic I was basically encouraged to only read certain parts anyway.

I remember when he first finished he had ruled out reading the NT being with him being jewish it wasn't really his top priority.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Raise your hand if you are uncircumcised
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2009, 07:06:44 pm »

Quote
I began the Bible as a hopeful, but indifferent, agnostic. I wished for a God, but I didn't really care. I leave the Bible as a hopeless and angry agnostic. I'm brokenhearted about God.

That pretty much exactly describes my experience reading the Bible.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Raise your hand if you are uncircumcised
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2009, 09:16:13 pm »

Not trying to proselytize too much here, but if all you read is the Old Testament, that is surely the view of God you will arrive at.  It is Christ's teachings about God that evoke the image of the loving creator.  The OT was written for the Jews, by the Jews, and describes their place in the world and their status as the chosen people of a terrible and wrathful all-powerful Deity.  The NT was written as a vehicle for bringing the life and teaching of Christ to the world, revealing to the world that the One God seeks to be known to all of his creation, and that we should all want to be known to him and to one another. 

/putting down the bullhorn, now...
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Raise your hand if you are uncircumcised
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2009, 09:36:26 pm »

Not trying to proselytize too much here, but if all you read is the Old Testament, that is surely the view of God you will arrive at.  It is Christ's teachings about God that evoke the image of the loving creator.  The OT was written for the Jews, by the Jews, and describes their place in the world and their status as the chosen people of a terrible and wrathful all-powerful Deity...

The guy does mention that in the article as well. Apparently, the traditional interpretation is that it only seems cruel and vengeful to us because we as humans can't understand the mind of God. But the author of the book rejects that, even as a Jew.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Raise your hand if you are uncircumcised
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2009, 09:37:08 pm »

Not trying to proselytize too much here

I'm not either, but Plotz did respond to this specifically:

Quote
When I complain to religious friends about how much He dismays me, I usually get one of two responses. Christians say: Well, yes, but this is all setup for the New Testament. Reading only the Old Testament is like leaving halfway through the movie. I'm missing all the redemption. If I want to find the grace and forgiveness and wonder, I have to read and believe in the story of Jesus Christ, which explains and redeems all. But that doesn't work for me. I'm a Jew. I don't, and can't, believe that Christ died for my sins. And even if he did, I still don't think that would wash away God's crimes in the Old Testament.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Raise your hand if you are uncircumcised
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2009, 10:21:17 pm »

I think you're right, but I suppose that today when people are encouraged to have a personal relationship with God, they can't helped but be shocked when you read about things that seem to be condoned and even encouraged by God in the OT, chief among them rape and genocide.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Raise your hand if you are uncircumcised
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2009, 04:55:41 am »

Yeah the idea of rejecting a version of God because he is a wrathful vengemeister would be pretty ridiculous to old time people. The wrath is why you did all the worshipping, so he didn't turn it on you. You couldn't have a personal relationship with that God anymore than you can have a personal relationship with a cyclone.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Raise your hand if you are uncircumcised
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2009, 09:30:01 am »

Yeah the idea of rejecting a version of God because he is a wrathful vengemeister would be pretty ridiculous to old time people. The wrath is why you did all the worshipping, so he didn't turn it on you. You couldn't have a personal relationship with that God anymore than you can have a personal relationship with a cyclone.

I'll just note that the deal offered to the people of Israel isn't "worship me or I'll step on you" - if you don't worship God but don't actively piss Him off, He just ignores you. The benefit of actively worshipping God in this context is not so much keeping the vengemeister off your back as actually having Him in your corner, and when you get kicked out of your homeland the third or fourth time in a row the idea of having a wrathful vengemeister backing you is a pretty darn tempting one. That said, God doesn't get off on the vengeance; most famously He commanded the angels to silence after He smote the Egyptians, saying in effect "yeah, I had to do it, it's miraculous, but I'm not happy about it, remember I made those guys too."

It's very true that you don't have a personal relationship with the oldschool God in the modern sense. You have a contract. Hold up your end of the contract, God holds up His. Personal emotional comfort in old-school Jewish stories tends to come from merciful angels or the prophet Elijah.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Raise your hand if you are uncircumcised
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2009, 11:06:59 am »

Education. There was a fair bit of assumption in my post.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Raise your hand if you are uncircumcised
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2009, 06:05:23 pm »

Counterargument:

YoHoWoH allowing everyone Job held precious to be brutally wiped out, even though Job was about as loyal as possible, to win a gentleman's bet with the Devil.

Oh, he gave him a NEW family at the end but... everybody horribly killed stayed cold in the earth.

So that, effectively, Satan could owe YoHoYoHoapirate'slifeforme a Coke.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Raise your hand if you are uncircumcised
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2009, 01:06:27 am »

Is this a counterargument to anything in particular or just a chance to make fun of Hebrew for writing without vowels?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Raise your hand if you are uncircumcised
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2009, 04:37:54 am »

Both?

(There is much evidence that God was a pirate. YHWH becoming basically YoHowHo is only the most obvious.)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Raise your hand if you are uncircumcised
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2009, 05:19:05 am »

Counterargument:

YoHoWoH allowing everyone Job held precious to be brutally wiped out, even though Job was about as loyal as possible, to win a gentleman's bet with the Devil.

Oh, he gave him a NEW family at the end but... everybody horribly killed stayed cold in the earth.

So that, effectively, Satan could owe YoHoYoHoapirate'slifeforme a Coke.


Now you're just being rude.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up