Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I thought we used to have an ongoing thread about music but I can't find it  (Read 12346 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile

Infidels is a good album.  Love and Theft is a good album.

Haven't listened to the new one yet.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

so far: highway 61 revisited, bringing it all back home, freewheelin', self-titled first one.

I like some of it very much, but what I have heard of Blonde on Blonde hasn't done a lot for me. I think I need to do this thing chronologically.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile

so far: highway 61 revisited, bringing it all back home, freewheelin', self-titled first one.

I like some of it very much, but what I have heard of Blonde on Blonde hasn't done a lot for me. I think I need to do this thing chronologically.

But Blonde on Blonde is the best one. Listen to Visions of Johanna 35 times and get back to us.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile

yes, also Absolutely Sweet Marie.


and the rest of his pre-electric folk albums are hit or miss.

!

That is interesting to me.  Weird, I guess.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

i just want to listen to the song "highway 61 revisited" over and over.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile

But Blonde on Blonde is the best one. Listen to Visions of Johanna 35 times and get back to us.

I like Highway 61 about twice as much as Blonde on Blonde.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm

At one point I liked Highway 61 better, then judged them as equal, and now prefer Blonde on Blonde.

Not to stay too on topic, Sunrise (1927) is one of my favorite movies ever, and I think it's still available on DVD.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile

Modern Times is a fantastic album.  Coincidentally Modern Times is a fantastic silent movie.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

Listening to people talk about what Bob Dylan is better is like listening to people talk about which is better, eating a dog turd in a waffle cone or in a sandwich.

Dammit, these are both terrible things and should be avoided whenever possible.

Not which is WORSE and so the other is slightly less bad but... BETTER. I mean, googlemoogles.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile

I just figured it out.  You moved to L.A. to be closer to Axl Rose.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile

I just figured it out.  You moved to L.A. to be closer to Axl Rose.
Well, to be fair, the man's name is an anagram for "oral sex".  Who wouldn't want to be close to that?

Alternate snarky post:
Listening to people talk about what Bob Dylan is better is like listening to people talk about which is better, eating a dog turd in a waffle cone or in a sandwich.

Dammit, these are both terrible things and should be avoided whenever possible.

Not which is WORSE and so the other is slightly less bad but... BETTER. I mean, googlemoogles.
THE FACT THAT PEOPLE LIKE THINGS I HATE FILLS ME WITH RAAAAAGE
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile

Alternate snarky post:THE FACT THAT PEOPLE LIKE THINGS I HATE FILLS ME WITH RAAAAAGE

Whereas THE FACT THAT PEOPLE LIKE THINGS I HATE FILLS ME WITH PIIITYYYY.

This is what happens when you don't have nothing useful to contribute to a thread and still want to pipe the fuck in.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile

Modern Times is a fantastic album.  Coincidentally Modern Times is a fantastic silent movie.

Love and Theft was pretty great too.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

I am all for taking as good as I give but... man... calling me out for liking Guns N Roses in response for ragging on Bob Dylan just ain't enough.

The fact that I like a fun weird over-the-top rock act from my youth just ain't enough ammo to shoot me down for NOT liking a dude who has basically crafted all his material specifically to impress the college sophomores of whatever given age he was in at the time, sort of the Woody Allen of popular music, going to the local university, perusing the 201 textbooks of the liberal arts department and... poop... out comes "Annie Hall" or whatever.

I mean, I am an easy target in a lot of ways but... man... knocking me for digging music that channels my inner angry 13 year old ain't the way to go about it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile

a dude who has basically crafted all his material specifically to impress the college sophomores of whatever given age he was in at the time,

I think you're basically full of shit here, but even if it's true it's better than being a dude who crafted all his material for high school sophomores.

Only thing worse would be Gene Simmons who crafted his material for 6th graders.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up