Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: assetbar down  (Read 22941 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2009, 04:52:58 pm »

I don't think it's writer's block -- he's still producing.  I just think he's getting to the point where he's done all he can with these characters and the only way to explore them further is through longer written pieces.

Or perhaps a feature film?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2009, 05:48:07 pm »

Paul! Shush with the movie! I don't want him to write a stupid movie, I want him to write a book.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2009, 06:18:56 pm »

If he writes a book half as funny as some of those old blog posts I'll buy 10 copies.

As it stands, I liked buying buying the old self-published personalized collections a lot more; however, I still buy the new collections (because I'm an OCD collector). One thing I do appreciate about his shirts is the fact that he does not print a URL anywhere on them. This makes them only partially nerdy, rather than full-on 100% nerdy.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2009, 06:29:14 pm »

As it stands, I liked buying buying the old self-published personalized collections a lot more; however, I still buy the new collections (because I'm an OCD collector). One thing I do appreciate about his shirts is the fact that he does not print a URL anywhere on them. This makes them only partially nerdy, rather than full-on 100% nerdy.

Well, there's the problem with his model: suboptimal monetization of your torso.
Logged

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2009, 06:39:11 pm »

Oh shit I really hope he stopped reading this board.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2009, 06:47:19 pm »

If he writes a book half as funny as some of those old blog posts I'll buy 10 copies.

As it stands, I liked buying buying the old self-published personalized collections a lot more; however, I still buy the new collections (because I'm an OCD collector). One thing I do appreciate about his shirts is the fact that he does not print a URL anywhere on them. This makes them only partially nerdy, rather than full-on 100% nerdy.

This seems to be the trend. I can't recall any shirts of mine with a URL on them other than some very old Diesel Sweeties shirt with clang.org on the left sleeve.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2009, 06:48:44 pm »

Quote
But many if not most creative people at least start out with a day job before they can make their art their career. This is a totally normally transition, what is weird about it? And what makes you think Onstad didn't start out with the hope of someday making a living?

Regardless of whether he planned to make a living off of it, and regardless of whether all artists go through this transition, it's still a phase where a lot of artists get screwed up and make bad moves that end with them getting screwed/unfamous/whatever.
A lot of the mid-80s punky/indie bands fell into this trap, where they signed to a major label too soon, dreaming of becoming big rock stars, only to find that America wasn't ready for weird punk-y grunge-y pop music for another 5 years at least.
Changed their sound, alienated their fans to some degree, never made the money they were promised.
At least, some of them now are making gads of money doing reunion tours. That's good. The ones who didn't die or lose their hearing or something.

Similar things going on right now with the Avett Brothers. Signed to a big label, put out a fancy slick album with minimal banjo and country harmonies and stuff... to me this is a bad move. Good for them if they are rolling in money, but I am no longer as interested in going to their concerts, because I am uninterested in seeing a piano-pop band. It is frustrating that a band that my friends used to go see in basements or churches now plays huge shows that I cannot afford tickets to. Am I glad for them, that they're making heaps of money after working so hard for a decade? Yes. I'm just sad that they had to abandon what I love them for to do it.

In the same way, Onstad is going all over the place with these different monetization schemes, and it's easy to say, hey, maybe the guy's getting distracted by this wacky pay-for-play system he's gotten worked out. Maybe he's tired of writing comics. Something's going on, at least.

And remember, on the internet, there is always someone ready to do what you're doing, but for free.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2009, 09:55:41 pm »

I don't know that much of it is jealousy, though I'm sure a little of it is, if only because... I have never seriously considered trying my hand at a web-comic.

Though I draw a little, I have no idea how to build a website, I have no computer-art skills with which to properly scan and edit a strip and (probably most importantly) I have no idea how to write for that format. I've tried to noodle with it and it's maddening. Just setting up one gag, knocking it out and moving on? That is basically the exact opposite of how I think creatively.

I have no problem with Onstad charging for his material. What I have a problem with is how counter-productive the current model seems to be for what he has proven to be best at. This giraffe-nor-fowl way of going about it serves no one in the long-term and in the short term, only Onstad.

Honestly, I'd pay... three to five dollars a month for two or three good strips a week.

Putting a lackluster effort into MAYBE two strips a week for free and pouring the balance of the effort into half-baked fanflow works doesn't do anyone any good, ultimately.

Not even Onstad, who'll eventually be stuck trying to publish collections of the sub-par giraffe-nor-fowl-effort strips somewhere down the line.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2009, 04:06:08 am »

really, the biggest impact i can remember making in those days was that i was known as "the kid who will cry if you pick on him long enough".

Awww.  I hope that wasn't a regular occurrence.  At least you weren't known as "Weasel" (corruption of last name) or "the girl who brings snakes to class."   Good times. ::)
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2009, 05:18:24 am »

I was "Walrus" for the same reason you were weasel.  Plus I was short, foreign, liked to read, and bucktoothed.  School was not my happy place.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

srikamaraja

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2009, 05:41:16 pm »

I, for one, decry the demise of assetbar. It was truly a scintillating forum for people of all flavour of intellect. The ad hominem diatribes of gladi8orrex, the enviable and extraordinary literary achievements of spinynorman and hatstand_mcq, all were truly high points of my day. Are the days of thegoblins and fineoakstructure truly at an end? Will daidai ever rise from the dead? Will Doctor Manflesh Desire[sic] Anal Play Immediately? I hope so. I hope so with every fibre of my being, for assetbar was my akademe.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2009, 07:11:24 pm »

Oh my god we need a new forum for those folks to go and quick because otherwise they might wind up here!

Just kidding, we welcome you all.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2009, 08:30:38 pm »

End Assetbar/TOUAMB Apartheid Now!
Logged

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2009, 01:46:43 am »

Are we the Statue of Liberty for Onstad's wretched refuse?  Ok, but everybody has to change their name when they enter here.

Completely embarrassed to admit I just got this joke four days after first reading it. NICELY PLAYED.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: assetbar down
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2009, 06:13:29 pm »

Are the days of thegoblins and fineoakstructure truly at an end?
That's who I miss.  Thegoblins.  And cpnglyxnchos.  I hope those two kids find love.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up