Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 59   Go Down

Author Topic: I had a dream....  (Read 132765 times)

0 Members and 34 Guests are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #510 on: July 06, 2011, 01:28:50 am »

I read it's mostly experienced by those with narcolepsy, which I don't have, but may also be caused by, among other things, excessive alcohol use (check, at least this past weekend), poor sleeping habits (check) and lying in the supine position, which I'm pretty sure I did that night.

I don't know if they're related at all, but the one time I experienced something like a lucid dream I took a similar alcohol/drug cocktail. That sounds worse than it was.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #511 on: July 06, 2011, 09:20:20 pm »

I don't remember if there was any explanation of why it used to be common enough that there was folklore and now most people seem to have never experienced or heard of it.

I've been thinking about this. Now, I'm totally just pulling this out of my ass, but I imagine that in the olden days (see?) there was much more mystery surrounding sleep. People didn't really understand what sleep is and what happens in those unconscious hours. Something like this would have really freaked a dude out, and he would have painted something or written a poem or something like that. Today, someone who knows a bit about sleep and the mind or whatever would just google it and post about it on a fake message board so it's just a drop in the bucket, and there's not much there to inspire art or writing.

Also, apparently the presence you mentioned was often described as demonic, but after a few moments of terror I just thought it was a dog or drunken friend. Again, it's not gonna inspire much like it used to.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #512 on: July 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm »

Today, someone who knows a bit about sleep and the mind or whatever would just google it and post about it on a fake message board so it's just a drop in the bucket, and there's not much there to inspire art or writing.

Also, apparently the presence you mentioned was often described as demonic, but after a few moments of terror I just thought it was a dog or drunken friend. Again, it's not gonna inspire much like it used to.

Oh, that is the saddest thing.

I had a dream where I was lost and needed to make a phone call and I tried several different phones and couldn't get any of them to work - I mean, I just couldn't figure out how to punch the numbers in to make the call. The buttons were in the wrong order, or I just kept messing it up, or whatever. I've had dreams like this about technology on occasion all my life, but now they kind of freak me out since a friend told me that her mom is starting to go senile and not being able to use the phone is one of her problems. She knows she should know how but just can't do it. I never knew before that this type of dream was basically a premonition of the future.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #513 on: July 11, 2011, 01:09:00 pm »

wow, OK, now I have had TWO wake-up-screaming dreams where I felt like I was still in the nightmare after I woke up. I'm sure there is some common thread between these two recent occurrences, but I have no idea what it is.

I was in a record store and I flirted with an attractive woman. Suddenly I realized she didn't have a chin... she had this white plastic cone over her face from the nose down. It looked like the white material on an iPod... it was plastic, but heavy plastic. She was extremely excited that I had found her attractive, and demanded that we get married. I couldn't even look at her, and I could feel the sensation of kissing her horrible plastic face. I started backing away and everyone called me a monster. She said, oh, it isn't that bad, let me show you what my face looks like underneath this thing. I was having these horrible images of sleeping in bed next to a no-face woman, and her rubbing her plastic cone on me. Begging her not to take it off, I was trying to escape her, but she had me cornered. She took it off and I heard everyone retching and gagging, and then I turned to see, and then I woke up.

What the FUCK.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #514 on: July 11, 2011, 03:11:34 pm »

That's fucked up right there.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #515 on: July 11, 2011, 10:10:41 pm »

...where I was at some fancy function with a higher-education crowd (grad school reception?) and it was really crowded.  We were getting ready to eat at essentially cafeteria tables (long tables with benches on each side) but with super high-end cutlery and plates and centerpieces and such.  A woman who looked like Brittany from Glee came in a bit late and looked around for a place to sit, but we were all packed like sardines onto the benches.  She recognized me (clearly had some previous classes together or the like) and sat cross-legged (tailor style) on the table in front of me and turned her attention to the keynote speaker after greeting me.  She was wearing a black cocktail dress with no underwear, and the occasion demanded that I act like nothing unusual was happening.  She wasn't doing this to entice me or anything - it was just the most convenient place for her to sit.  Then we were were served and had dinner together with me trying to keep my eyes on her face instead of her (neatly trimmed) crotch.  It almost ended in disaster when a grape escaped my fork and rolled into her lap, but the grape stopped short of touching her, so none-the-wiser.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #516 on: July 11, 2011, 11:07:29 pm »

I love this dream. Why couldn't I have had THAT dream.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #517 on: July 12, 2011, 01:41:42 am »

I love this dream. Why couldn't I have had THAT dream.

You aren't living life right, so you don't deserve it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #518 on: July 12, 2011, 02:51:28 am »

I love this dream. Why couldn't I have had THAT dream.
It was pretty rad, except for the vague aura of social awkwardness - it was like having a conversation with someone who had something stuck in their teeth, or whose name you had forgotten.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #519 on: July 12, 2011, 02:18:38 pm »

Why the hell were you eating grapes with a fork?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #520 on: July 12, 2011, 06:43:27 pm »

Why the hell were you eating grapes with a fork?

What do you eat them with? Your fingers? Disgusting.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #521 on: July 12, 2011, 07:26:32 pm »

It was a fancy dinner!  Part of the salad, I think!
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #522 on: July 12, 2011, 08:03:04 pm »

especially when conflated with heather morris's nonchalant cooter expo
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #523 on: July 12, 2011, 09:40:16 pm »

I had a really awesome cool dream last night, but I've now mostly forgotten it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #524 on: July 12, 2011, 10:24:27 pm »

using the word cooter in that way makes referring to the character from "dukes of hazzard" awfully strange...
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 59   Go Up