Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 59   Go Down

Author Topic: I had a dream....  (Read 133319 times)

0 Members and 36 Guests are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #810 on: December 19, 2013, 06:35:45 am »

Maybe its just science fields - but grad school wouldn't cost me any money out of pocket.  You get in, and you get to go.  You certainly don't make any money doing it, and the hours are long and the work is overwhelming, and it takes forever...and employment afterwards as a post doc isn't a whole lot more lucrative for another 4-6 years.  I was about to pull the trigger on it when I learned my wife was pregnant with our second kid.  That tipped the balance for me, and I'll remain a Bachelor of Science for a long while to come.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #811 on: December 19, 2013, 01:40:11 pm »

We've talked about this before somewhere but I don't know where. No one I knew in linguistics paid for grad school either, which is a good thing since there are basically no jobs. But different fields are different and I don't know about what Inev is doing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #812 on: December 19, 2013, 07:14:50 pm »

We've talked about this before somewhere but I don't know where. No one I knew in linguistics paid for grad school either, which is a good thing since there are basically no jobs. But different fields are different and I don't know about what Inev is doing.
In my crowd we call that a masturbatory profession. It exists for the purpose of existing with no real productive end. That isn't a judgement call.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #813 on: December 19, 2013, 09:17:31 pm »

I both totally agree and totally disagree with that. I think that's how you define civilization, that there are many valuable things that exist merely for the sake of existing. I mean, isn't that true of all art?  On the other hand, it was one of things that made me uncomfortable about the profession.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #814 on: December 19, 2013, 09:23:38 pm »

I have often said that the only purpose of an historian is to create new historians. No wonder nobody I know in my field can find a job.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #815 on: December 19, 2013, 10:04:06 pm »

Hey yo...I manage a sandwich shop with my history degree!  Don't say it can't be done.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #816 on: December 19, 2013, 10:39:48 pm »

Oh...I didn't know that.  Awesome!! 
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #817 on: December 20, 2013, 12:40:15 am »

I guess I misspoke -- I meant to say nobody I know can get in a job in my field. I know lots of historians who are employed as, like, receptionists and market analysts and waitresses and retail clerks. But there just aren't enough people who want to be historians to make jobs for all the people who already are.

It's a vicious cycle -- the fewer jobs there are for historians, the fewer people will want to become historians, and that means history programs get under-enrolled and the jobs dwindle even more.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #818 on: December 20, 2013, 07:45:02 am »

a-cap, what do you produce at your job?

Last night I had a dream that my best friend, who is engaged, got the shit beaten out of her by her fiance. I didn't like that dream. Both my subconscious and my friends think I hate this guy. He is fine.

(this is a girl who I posted about daily in like 2007, but that was a long time ago)

Urban planning master's programs don't give out much money, because if you go to a good program you can get a nice job. I would like if they gave me money, though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #819 on: December 20, 2013, 07:28:53 pm »

a-cap, what do you produce at your job?

Money.


I facilitate the transfer of money around the globe by acting as a buyer and seller of currency. My customers are likely other traders, but at some level it is about converting different currencies between banks. Literally trillions of dollars pass through the fingers of people that do what I do every single day. And as I've said before, I don't just sit on my money. I put it to use remodeling houses, where people live, and other side projects I get caught up in.
What do you produce at your job?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 07:35:35 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #820 on: December 20, 2013, 07:58:06 pm »

Money.

This seems like a really depressing answer. Don't you ever wish you were, like, adding beauty and meaning to the world, or something?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #821 on: December 20, 2013, 08:38:59 pm »

Money is pretty meaningful. I'm OK with making money.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #822 on: December 20, 2013, 09:54:12 pm »

Trading and taking a cut is not "producing." But my point is not that what you do is bad-- it is that whether someone's job is "producing" is a bad way of evaluating that job. I produce lattes at my job and I  don't think my job is better than being a historian. I think being a historian is probably better for the world than producing lattes or comics or paintings. But I still want to live in a world with those things.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #823 on: December 20, 2013, 11:04:45 pm »

Wait...what?  Being a historian is maybe better than being a latte (or sandwich) maker (MAYBE!), but there is no way it is more valuable than like an artistic endeavor.  If you are doing something that future historians may talk about it is much more important than being a historian.  Though from my degree, historians also talk about old historians a lot, so maybe that's a bad rule.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream....
« Reply #824 on: December 20, 2013, 11:13:08 pm »

historians also talk about hitler a lot so let's back off on that particular metaphor

i produce easy communication between constituents and their elected representatives. i sit at a desk and type all day. i have a history degree. nobody's going to remember my name or my contribution, but idgaf. i make it easy for people to say "hey congress you're a pile of shit" and for the congressperson to say "maybe you'll like my updated even further polarizing stance on the issue." it's pointless, but it's kind of easy and it pays the bills. it lets me life the life i want, which is the point of having a job or a career. if you want to leave a mark on the world, take up a hobby and see how it goes.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 59   Go Up