Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

It sounds to me like you haven't read the Sex Rulebook! The first rule of Sex is that everybody can always get it on. Man, go for it! Awesome! Awesome! -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Anticipation II: Electric Boogaloo  (Read 11859 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2003, 08:55:08 pm »

Hey everybody, puns are allowed now.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2003, 09:13:06 pm »

How many times do we have to explain how the pun works.

The above was NOT a pun.  A play on words, perhaps, but not a pun.

See, all puns are plays on words, but not all plays on words are puns.

Abraham Lincoln was a man, but not all men are Abraham Lincoln.

This is metaphysics / AI 101 here, people.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2003, 09:33:48 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"

More or less, and there's presumably also whatever "flavor" ("lemon-lime?" "fruit?" "human liver?") Mountain Dew has. I simply cannot entirely parse why one would drink Mountain Dew for the flavor; I can buy it for Coke (I mostly drink Coke for the actual taste) and other sodas, but drinking Mountain Dew for the flavor strikes me as being like drinking Bud Light for its rich bouquet of taste sensations.


I think Mountain Dew is supposed to be "citrus"; this not from any direct experience of anything remotely citrusy, but from the fact that I once bought a store-brand Mountain Dew knock-off called Citrus Drop (they'd even bothered to cook up its own snappy slogan - pop the drop). It was two 2-liter bottles for a buck, and mixed pretty okay with the cheapshit vodka I drink assuming nothing else was at hand.

But, um - I like the taste of Mountain Dew. I like beers like Milwaukee's Best Light and Olympia. Can this be at all legitimized, or do I just like bad things?
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2003, 09:47:33 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
But, um - I like the taste of Mountain Dew. I like beers like Milwaukee's Best Light and Olympia. Can this be at all legitimized, or do I just like bad things?


Uhhh, at least you're not drinking Schaefer.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2003, 09:51:09 pm »

Quote from: "El Guapo"
How many times do we have to explain how the pun works.

The above was NOT a pun.  A play on words, perhaps, but not a pun.

See, all puns are plays on words, but not all plays on words are puns.


WordNet disagrees with you, and it's on the internet so it must be true.

pun
     n : a humorous play on words; "I do it for the pun of it"; "his
         constant punning irritated her" [syn: punning, wordplay,
          paronomasia]
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2003, 09:53:11 pm »

Quote from: "El Guapo"
How many times do we have to explain how the pun works.

The above was NOT a pun.  A play on words, perhaps, but not a pun.

See, all puns are plays on words, but not all plays on words are puns.

Abraham Lincoln was a man, but not all men are Abraham Lincoln.

This is metaphysics / AI 101 here, people.


Ok, I’ll rephrase my statement.  Hey everybody, plays on words, which bear a striking resemblance to puns, and are equally unfunny, are now allowed.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2003, 10:39:13 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
I like beers like Milwaukee's Best Light and Olympia. Can this be at all legitimized, or do I just like bad things?



MMMMMmmmm.  The Beast.  I like Milwaukee's Beast, too.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2003, 10:40:34 pm »

Fearless Leader, Guapo, I must confess that I am confused by the distinction between a play on words and a pun.  Could you provide example of each for my enlightenment?

Thanks in advance!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2003, 10:53:44 pm »

Well, saying that you were 'AugustBest' would be a nasty, pitiful and unforgivable pun.
It's using a word that sounds just like another, in place of it, to give a different meaning.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2003, 11:45:01 pm »

Well, if you want to be honest, I more or less like the taste of Dew too. I was just under the impression that nobody actually drank it for the flavor, for which I was grievously mistaken. Forgive me, Acheboard friends.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2003, 11:46:36 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Well, saying that you were 'AugustBest' would be a nasty, pitiful and unforgivable pun.
It's using a word that sounds just like another, in place of it, to give a different meaning.


Actually, I think Jough is referring to the unbastardized Webster's 1913 definition puts a pun as a play on a word's homonym specifically.  For instance:

"Why are Japanese legislators so skinny?  Because they're members of the diet."

Diet meaning both prescribed rules for eating and a legislative body used in several countries such as Germany, Poland, and Japan.  Get it?  Skinny legislators?

If I am correct, the weaker definition of a pun as any play on words and not just on words with multiple meanings has only recently gained acceptance.  So when Jough insists we aren't making proper puns, he is correct in a way.  In the same way that people who say the recent presidential election was a fraud and people who insist that we should never have come off the gold standard are correct.  The fighting against impossible odds way of being correct.

Personally, I've given up on trying to hold back the floodgates of proper English.  Stopped correcting every occurance of 'The thing of it is is that...'  Started speaking in broken clauses instead of sentences.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2003, 11:59:15 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"

Actually, I think El Guapo is referring to the unbastardized Webster's 1913 definition puts a pun at a play on a word's homonym specifically.


That is the definition I prefer, but I understand that with my annoyance (see... erm.. other thread where I blew up about it) I would implode, or explode, if I resented any use of it that did not include homonyms.
So I'm being forgiving.
It won't last.
And I don't enjoy it.
Shucks see, now I'm back to unfogiving!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2003, 12:48:00 am »

But by that definition, El Guapo's playing of "Mount 'n do" homonymously (I like that...Ho-MON-y-mous-ly!) against "Mountain Dew" would be a pun by the definition you refer to, n'est pas?

I'm so confused.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2003, 01:37:00 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

I'm so confused.


*rubs hands*
It works...

I prefer to just call it 'that green shit'.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
No Mo Cawfee
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2003, 01:42:15 am »

Slink, how long have you been Teador?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up