Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Wife upset because I kept her up all night playing World of Snorecraft.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: iPad  (Read 20548 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
iPad
« on: January 28, 2010, 12:02:04 am »

http://www.apple.com/ipad

I like it. I will be getting one the first day, and because I'm an unapologetic corporate technology whore I'll be getting the 64 GB model. The only question that remains is whether to get the wi-fi one or the wi-fi and 3G one.

I will sleep with this motherfucker in my godsdamn arms like it was my firstborn. Much like ape mothers, I will never let another person handle my Precious.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: iPad
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 12:27:20 am »

So this is Apple's answer to the Kindle then.

I loved watching that video.  Everyone that spoke on it sounded like the ipad was about to give them an orgasm.  An igasm if you will.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: iPad
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 12:56:11 am »

Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: iPad
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 01:24:04 am »

They really couldn't come up with a better name than this?

Obviously there are not enough women working at Apple, or they would realize that the first association that comes to mind is not appropriate. As I have said elsewhere, I am waiting for them to come out with the iTampon.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: iPad
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 01:34:14 am »

Man I don't give a shit.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: iPad
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 02:08:02 am »

what else are they going to call it? they've got iPod and iPhone, and this is just an upsized touch. they made their brand, now they have to lie in it.

if it were more than a big ipod, i'd be much more excited. instead, it doesn't multitask (except maybe itunes in the background), it's a usb slave with custom port that only has an adapter for a camera, there's no webcam or stylus or voice recognition or phone functionality and you can't install third-party apps from outside the ipod app store.

but i think the missus would like it.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Thomas Pain

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -49
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
  • TOUAMB 2009/2010 TROLL OF THE YEAR
    • View Profile
Re: iPad
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 02:43:41 am »

Man I don't give a shit.

heh heh.  someone's old and grouchy.

My take on the ipad, as well as the iphone, and Macintosh computers for that matter (ibook, imac, cube, etc) is this:

these computers are compromises.  There are major major compromises wired into these computers.  Same with any PC running windows.. windows is a compromise as well, and arguably windows is the worst compromise of all.  I know that maybe people don't see it that way, or even if they do, they can't afford to not use windows, in the same way that many people get payday loans. 

Poverty is a trap.  Poverty has less to do with what you can and can't afford, and everything to do with what you perceive that you can and can't afford, and what you perceive that you *need.*  Windows is for many people the payday loan of technology.  It'll let you bridge that gap in the short term, but in the long term you'll pay.

Don't get me wrong, payday loans can serve a legitimate function... if your bank is in the final stage of repossessing your house, and if you don't get them that payment by closing time on Friday, and you're $200 short, a payday loan would be cheaper than losing the house.  But how many people actually use payday loans in that way?  And even so, you still take a hit.

Ideally we would all have Macintosh computers and iphones and ipads, and we would all drive tricked out cars that are safe and well balanced and reliable, and we'd take our cars to the mechanic on the rare occasion that they do break because our time is better sent doing anything than fixing cars.

The reality is that we can't all afford these luxuries, so we wind up working on our own cars, and eventually learning how to run linux and use Open Office instead of Microsoft Word and Powerpoint and Excel and so on. 

And then there are those who live in crappy apartment complexes and work 50 60 even 70 hours a week for low wages and who drive $30,000 cars with spinners and tricked out suspensions and park outside on the street and yes these people run Windows and these people pay the mechanic to fix the car and they pay the Best Buy kid to run spybot for them and/or reinstall Windows for them.

Unfortunately, Apple hasn't really done anything fundamentally original or good since Steve Jobs came back.  All Apple did was buy NeXT, and adopt as it's own NeXT's business strategy of monetizing Linux by leveraging Linux/Un*x to fill the need that Microsoft created and then that the cell phone makers created and now that the ebook reader makers have created. 

So Apple has a room full of moneys that they use for product testing, to make sure that the touch and feel is okay, and that the buttons are in the right place and that on average (not entirely, only on average) the GUI is a few notches better than the competition.  Apple pays a little extra to get slightly better test monkeys, but most importantly of all, Apple is structured internally such that the directives of the head money (we'll call him 'Steve') get listened to by the other monkeys.  Apple may well be able to carry on like this when the lease is up on Steve, because it's not so much Steve's ideas that are what allows Apple to make better products, but the fact that the Apple monkeys obey Steve...  Once Steve leaves, someone else will be able to step in and fill Steve's shoes, demanding that the GUI make some sort of sense  (oh, the brilliance of it!  My dog could never have suggested that!) and continuing the beat the same old dead hoss of a business model, namely, building that semi-ok GUI in Linux. 

Meanwhile, Linux keeps getting better and better...  Apple's business model can only work for so long.  I'm not saying that Apple will be displaced directly by Linux.  It may well be some third party company (like say Sun) (who bought them/merged them again?) decides to break Apple's toy by pushing for open standards.  I don't think that there are many if any companies that can do what Apple does, which is to make products that suck less than everyone else... by definition there can sort of only be one such company at a time...  but what these companies can do is encourage open source development of products that don't suck... which is certainly tricky, I mean you look at some of the idiocy of Firefox's GUI and you see what I mean, but, over the long haul, the open source moneys can probably do more and better work than the Apple monkeys. 

$.02.

if this made sense to anyone reading it, seek medical attention now.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: iPad
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 02:45:18 am »

heh heh.  someone's old and grouchy.


Well duh.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Chump Change

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 172
  • This is amazing!
    • View Profile
Re: iPad
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 02:47:08 am »

iTamp
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: iPad
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 03:06:54 am »

yet another thing that im too poor to buy, even if i had an interest.  i like gadgets, but i dont need 11 that all do the same shit.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: iPad
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 05:12:54 am »

if it were more than a big ipod, i'd be much more excited.

I agree. The lack of multi-tasking and only being able to install apple sanctioned apps really kills it for me. I feel like my phone is more useful and open, and I can listen to Pandora while I surf the web to boot.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: iPad
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 05:16:41 am »

I think the main thing with the iPad is that it's going to force everyone else to adapt, like the iPhone. I'm not ready to hail it as the next big thing, but many people were underwhelmed by the iPhone when debuted as well.

That being said, I'm definitely waiting on v. 2 or even 3 before I seriously consider this thing and its price tag.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: iPad
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 06:00:20 am »

the price will drop a lot in the next five years, and the capacity will go up. look at ipod. after five years it had color, four sizes, six times the disk space, and better battery life. the original 5gb ipod cost $400. today i can get one that's got a phone and touchscreen for less than that.

i'm betting v3 or v4 will have multitasking, maybe dual-core, front-facing camera, and a version following soon after will have an actual OS that lets me install software apple competes with.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: iPad
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 06:37:12 am »

response to the "linux is getting better" comment:

1 - linux will never best os x in the desktop. having been an exclusive unix/linux user since 1993, i can say the solid NeXT underpinnings of OS X beat the ##### off of X11 any day of the week, and when you factor in the horrible QA most linux distributions have ... or the asinine decisions their core teams make (PulseAudio? Empathy? Really?) -- no contest.

2 - os x uses "open standards" for nearly every component, believe it or not. GNU license != open source. the kernel and userland are Mach and 4.4BSD respectively. the yellow box/blue box components (or Cocoa/Carbon or whatever the fuck they call it now) are based on Java (open), DisplayPDF (PostScript), etc. I have programmed in PostScript. It is a turing complete language, but I'd not recommend it.


i'll deal with the rest later
Logged

Thomas Pain

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -49
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
  • TOUAMB 2009/2010 TROLL OF THE YEAR
    • View Profile
Re: iPad
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 08:44:45 am »

I dunno.. uh... I think OS9 bests OSX in the desktop.  Not in terms of stability, but in terms of power, hands down, you can do more with OS9, and do it more easily.  Of course, with OS9 you can't drop down to the CLI and work there.. the CLI is obviously more powerful than any GUI.  There was at least one third party CLIs for OS9, but anyway, that's moot, since, ya know, it's OS9.  It will never touch un*x.

linux best OSX in the desktop?  It will happen.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up