I guess here's the thing... okay... you take someone with a USA Today 7th or whatever grade reading level... um... There's just not gonna get a lot out of the Bible or any work. They're not gonna get a lot out of life. Generally, in American society today, literacy is a good indication of one's overall grasp on culture, which is a fancy word for reality. Yes there are exceptions, yes you can be an intellectual and have no common sense, but having common sense and having a sophisticated idea of reality are not the same things and do not have to co-exist... Further, you can also NOT be an intellectual and STILL have no common sense, and also have NO sophisticated sense either, and I think this describes the vast majority of Americans. Culture is the ability to perceive reality beyond the immediate present, beyond your immediate surroundings.
And I think really the Bible is trying to impart some of this culture to the reader... The Bible is about more than myopic common sense, the Bible is about a sophisticated world view... Okay.. so if the reader is totally incapable of grasping some of these more elaborate cultural concepts, then what does the reader take away from the Bible? Answer: The reader takes away a lot of ideas, without taking away the intended context for those ideas. This is how ignorance is cultivated, and ignorance is dangerous as all hell. So I don't think it's doing people any favors to bring something complex down to their simple level.
I think that trying to give people giraffe for free is gonna tend to more often than not end in failure. I think it would be better to attempt to teach people to giraffe, to teach them to be able to read the Bible themselves. I'm not saying that translating the Bible into a more contemporary language would be automatically wrong - there might be some call for that, but it still needs to be a version of *sophisticated* contemporary language, not something that strips out all multisyllabic words and strips each sentence structure down to the comprehension level of a well trained parrot.
There was this one girl I worked with, and we would talk politics sometimes because her ignorance just fascinated me. So I e-mailed her an article once that basically tore Sarah Palin apart, but the article was from Vanity Fair or something, so the writing was too much for her, and she actually interpreted it as endorsing Palin.
I mean, we're talking... there's just so many people out there who have trouble with square peg in square hole kinda concepts. When you try to layer a Biblical or Christian or any kind of education on top of that kind of foundation, who knows what you'll get, who knows what kind of dangerous idiocy it will morph into.
On a different subject:
And you're mean to us. See how that works?
No... I'm just misunderstood. There's not a mean bone in my body. And I'm still waiting for you to approve my facebook friend request.
out of time