Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Wife upset because I kept her up all night playing World of Snorecraft.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 190   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 381253 times)

0 Members and 65 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #240 on: May 26, 2010, 07:07:11 pm »

There's a band called the Wombats? People, I expect you to keep me informed of these things.

Why do I not have your disk? Were you afraid you would have to get mine?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 08:20:14 pm by wombat »
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #241 on: May 26, 2010, 07:49:51 pm »

There's a band called the Wombats? People, I expect you to keep me informed of these things.

Why do I not have your disk? Were you afraid you would have to get mone?

i was inadvertently inconsiderate of your feelings.  i can whip one up for ya, but i think i threw away the envelope that has your address on it.  maybe youll get it to me.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #242 on: May 26, 2010, 08:21:52 pm »

I sent you a disk? I remember none of this.

You could just email me a file of a song by the Wombats - this is something you kids today can do? -  and I'd be willing to call it even.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #243 on: May 26, 2010, 08:34:37 pm »

Huh, I never imagined wombats with that accent.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #244 on: May 26, 2010, 08:51:53 pm »

I haven't listened to GKA's mix in a few weeks.  I think it's time to give 'er another listen.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #245 on: May 26, 2010, 09:00:45 pm »

The new Gaslight Anthem.

Code: [Select]
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?hwdxx3mgm9w
Replace the "!" with an "i".
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #246 on: May 26, 2010, 10:55:14 pm »

what else would he talk about? j/k

my mix cd had a song called "lets dance to joy division" by a powerpop* band called the Wombats


*is it true that powerpop made by british bands is what is meant by the term britpop?

Wombats are not Britpop

Britpop is kind of a cross between indie, Madchester and stadium rock tinged with '60s influence, be it Kinks, Zombies or Beatles. Think Blur 'Country House', Oasis (I hate Oasis), Pulp, Suede

Basically, clever sing along songs which are equally at home in a gig or home listening environment. May be danceable but not funky.

I am not a Wombats fan but in the interests of neutrality instead of calling them 'terrible' they are definitely of an alternative rock/pop flavour, which has crossover with Britpop but which is not Britpop. Powerpop isn't a term used much over here but is more used to describe stuff like Avril Lavinge. Wikipedia seems to corral more with your definition actually
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #247 on: May 28, 2010, 06:09:58 am »

Wombats are not Britpop

Britpop is kind of a cross between indie, Madchester and stadium rock tinged with '60s influence, be it Kinks, Zombies or Beatles. Think Blur 'Country House', Oasis (I hate Oasis), Pulp, Suede

Basically, clever sing along songs which are equally at home in a gig or home listening environment. May be danceable but not funky.

I am not a Wombats fan but in the interests of neutrality instead of calling them 'terrible' they are definitely of an alternative rock/pop flavour, which has crossover with Britpop but which is not Britpop. Powerpop isn't a term used much over here but is more used to describe stuff like Avril Lavinge. Wikipedia seems to corral more with your definition actually


fuck that shit!!!  avril lavigne is a talentless fingertrap.  the only difference between her and hillary duff is she used to be married to that dude from cum41.

(it totally sounds like im a bitter music-cock.  im not sure where that mini rant came from...)
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #248 on: May 28, 2010, 01:02:40 pm »

fuck that shit!!!  avril lavigne is a talentless fingertrap.  the only difference between her and hillary duff is she used to be married to that dude from cum41.

(it totally sounds like im a bitter music-cock.  im not sure where that mini rant came from...)

I lolled and do not disagree with the above statement.

It would seem over here, or at least in my case, we are in the minority when we define powerpop though.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #249 on: May 29, 2010, 01:02:20 pm »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #250 on: May 30, 2010, 06:24:35 pm »

Logged

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #251 on: June 06, 2010, 12:56:31 pm »

I've been in a very Morrissey Mood tonight. Well, it is 9am so I guess "night" doesn't really describe it any longer. But in any case Moz is my main dude right now. That and that San Berdoo Sunburn song someone linked a few pages back. That shit is amazing.
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #252 on: June 10, 2010, 05:14:08 pm »

These two versions of Gesualdo's "Moro Lasso", nonstop, lately:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_F1OuMeVSw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_q3EJNUKis&feature=related

Can't decide which sounds the scariest (wait until the end...)
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #253 on: June 10, 2010, 09:21:27 pm »

We listened to this nonsense for a week straight while I was down in NC.

"Gogol Bordello is a Gypsy punk band from the Lower East Side of New York City, formed in 1999 and known for theatrical stage shows and persistent touring.
Much of the band's sound is inspired by Gypsy music. The band incorporates minor-key accordion and violin (and on some albums, saxophone) mixed with punk and dub."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM1Ahn0Osjo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elyQ4ShVw-Y

Live shows must be a blast.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #254 on: June 10, 2010, 10:06:11 pm »

I'm actually gonna go see them next month at Red Rocks. They're opening for Primus - who is the real reason I'm going to be there - but I'm still a fan of Gogol. Good stuff.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 190   Go Up